Final Radeon R9 290 Specifications Now Leaked As Well ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 7, 2013.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    nvapi is mante but obviously not as efficient since its still kinda using dx11api in bf3/bf4, mantle has a special driver api so there's no dx11api overhead involved.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It would have to be a driver level API (which would prove all of AMD's claims of performance gains from Mantle wrong) for NVidia cards to support it....unless they were involved in the development of Mantle.

3. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Cheers, wasnt sure as the old 8800GT needed PCIE 1.1

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Same, but it would be the GTX 880.

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Same here.

Unless NVIDIA do something similar for their cards then Mantle could very well be the thing that persuades me to switch to AMD for a future graphics card. After all, AMD are heavily involved with the PS4 and Xbox One, since they provide their GPUs and CPUs, and if PC games start to support Mantle as standard and show real performance improvements then I'd be a fool not to. With the shift toward DirectX 11, there's less reason to stay with NVIDIA as custom AA flags, the big draw for me, don't work with that API.

The only issue I have with AMD is that my experience of their drivers has not been too favourable but maybe that will change as well because NVIDIA are certainly not perfect in that area at the moment either.

6. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    If this is the case, I can see alot of guys like myself going back to AMD.

If Nvidia brought out their own version of low level driver/software would that be compatible? I'm guessing not and it would end up splitting the market again for no reason like Nvidia do now with Physx and OpenCL.

7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    MSI Europen Pricing Revealed

Model - Product Code - Price

MSI Radeon R9 290X R9-290X-4GD5 649 EUR

MSI Radeon R9 290 R9-290-4GD5 519 EUR

MSI Radeon R9 280X Gaming R9-280X-Gaming 279 EUR

MSI Radeon R9 270X Hawk R9-270X-Hawk 219 EUR

MSI Radeon R9 270X Gaming R9-270X-Gaming 199 EUR

MSI Radeon R7 260X OC R7-260X-OC-2GD5 129 EUR

MSI Radeon R7 250 R7-250-OC-1GD5 95 EUR

Source :- video you know who ;)

I make that about £550 for the 290X. :)

8. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    That 290 is actually looking quite attractive if those prices are right. Can't wait to see reviews.

9. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah 290s about £440, not bad at all if its just shy of the Xs performance like rumoured, so could end up being the card to get, as with a slight OC, will probably equal the stock X :)

Also noticed on there, it says the cards will be on sale this Friday, but im not sure, as the NDAs not up till the 15th (next Tuesday) for the 290s, unless they've brought it forward a couple of days :p

Can't see that meaning the 270s/280s, as they are available now here in the UK.

10. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Aye, exciting times :infinity:

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    The way I see it is nvidia won't use mantle. for various reasons. Mantle is a low level API designed to work with specific architectures (GCN cards). nvidia would have to design their cards in a certain way to get the most out of Mantle. Which they won't want to do. Also, they're too proud.

I guess they could come out with their own low level API. Which could be really messy. Mantle might in fact be the xbone low level API, and if this is confirmed, it could give AMD cards an edge over nvidia in multi platform games and ports.

I'll say this again, if AMD planned this all along (going for consoles while working on Mantle for PC) then it's a genius move.

Dunno mate, that translates to £500 over here, maybe a bit less if we're lucky. That's still quite a lot for a gpu.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    650€ is still kinda overkill, I hope for ~ 550€ mark

13. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
  14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I don't see Mantle being that tied into GCN, it limits what AMD can do with future hardware and i don't see them doing that, as that could allow Nvidia to just brute force the same or even better performance with future cards.

The pricing is looking how i expected it, i wish Mantle would of been patched into BF4 as the cards were released as that is one of the reasons i would buy a 290X, now i will likely have to wait until January to see if the reality matches the marketing.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I wouldn't exactly say that NVidia is too proud to design an architecture to support Mantle. They already have NVAPI and unless devs are actually willing to use Mantle, it would be wasted money to support yet another API.

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    well, AMD could just rewrite Mantle to suit their future architectures, so that wouldn't be a massive problem. It would be a massive headache for nvidia though, being puppets that follow whatever AMD decide to do which is why I can't see them going for it.

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    we'll see.

18. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Don't, 7970 is plenty enough for todays and new games for now.

If games start to drop below 40-50fps i'll just crossfire.

19. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    NVAPI is not even remotely close to Mantle, it is completely different thing.. NVIDIAs bindless graphics OpenGL extension is somewhat closer to upcoming OpenGL Mantle extension.

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    and Nvidia could create their own one based on their own hardware, and it wouldn't even have to be as efficient as Mantle, just alot better on Nvidia hardware than on AMD.

Mantle will go nowhere without Nvidia and AMD working together, if they don't then they will just compete even more-so than now and we will end up in a scenario where games are so vendor specific we might have to avoid certain games altogether if we don't have the matching brand of GPU.

I love the idea of Mantle in principle, but the suggesting that it would amount to anything when it's only recent cards from one vendor that can support it, mixed in with trying to support DirectX at the same time and possibly even OpenGL just make it sound doomed to be very short lived.