Asus Z87 motherboards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by -Tj-, May 4, 2013.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Asus posted some z87 motherboards at facebook and it looks delicious :nerd:

few pics

Deluxe
    [​IMG]

Pro
    [​IMG]

Sabertooth
    [​IMG]

Maximus Extreme
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hero
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maximus
    [​IMG]

Im set for Asus z87 deluxe, although I dont fancy that gold stuff much, but it has everything i want from a mobo - good passive cooling, lots of features and quality parts and hopefully not to pricy :D

2. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    It looks we are buying more of the same, i think SB will serve me for a long time.

They sure look nice.

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  3. qwwwizx

qwwwizx Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 680SO
    I got a mive and an mve, and now I cant wait to get my hands on a mvie, though I am/was considering Gigabyte this time. Crappy bios on the mve was really a problem for a long time on the mve board. With latest bios it rocks.

And the Asus ROG team should also brush up the ai suite. Its just useless crap that nobody deserves be annoyed with. It really sucks.

4. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Asus and yellow eh? Interesting. If i upgrade to haswell i'll be going with the Extreme i just hope it's not 450$. If they make a maximus Formula variant this time they better include the PLX chip on it, being set with 3 PCIe slots and having to run x8/x4/x4 is BS for 300$.

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Nice to see 10 SATA ports.

Why would you waste money on TriFire? Also howcome it says DDR3 2000 in your specs?

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  6. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Technically they are Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000 sticks though they're running at 1600 7-10-8-27 i didn't know if i had the space to say that..and Denebs IMC is limited to that :(

As for Trifire/quadfire because I can't afford Tri/Quad Titan SLi, already have two 7970s (one of which is complete ****: XFX), and a tri/quadfire setup will run games at 3240x1920 with usually high settings (excluding Crysis 3) and maintain a 120fps for a triple portrait setup :D

I have a 3570k and a 800D sitting in my room for the new build coming up. Will be the biggest build i've ever attempted. But i've been wanting to do something in the realm of extreme for a couple of years. Something i can appreciate as my own. Not just another Generic build i guess. I'm holding off on the GPUs until we clarify what the 780 is. Because if it is Titan LE and i'm wrong about it being priced high and it's 599$ i'll be getting three for sure over the next 4 months.

By the end of may i hope to have these specs completed.

3570k @ 4.5ghz or better
    16gb of Gskill Trident DDR3 2400 CL 9
    2 Diamond 7970s @ 1200/1700. I know the one i have will do it i just don't have the cooling to contain that kind of heat right now.
    BenQ XL2420T
    800D
    Haven't fully decided on PSU yet thinking the Seasonic platinum 1000W but if i were to get a fourth GPU down the road (i doubt it i can't hardly find reference versions now) i would need more.

7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I thought Haswell has integrated VRMs. Why am I seeing that ugly ass heatsink next to the CPU socket?

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The deluxe has inbuilt wifi? Nice!!

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    OK, only reason I'm asking is that Tri/Quad scaling sucks and many games don't even support it.

2 GPU's would offer the best cost/performance ratio.........surely Titan SLI could handle 3 displays? Entirely up to you of course. :)

10. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Depends on the game but yeah i imagine the setup is going to be a hassle but it's something i've really wanted to try. Going to have to take my precious time with it too because it will be my first loop as well.

SLi Titans surely can but i can't afford 2000$ worth of GPUs i mean i guess i could if i saved but by the time i got that kind of money we'd be on the horizon of maxwell. I wont be buying 3-4 7970s at once i have one that works and i'm hoping XFX will give me a reference version because i'm on my fourth card from them. Frankly i'm going to demand a reference version or my money back their DD is pure crap. I've had 3 of them and they all run at the wrong clocks speeds like they're using the Black Edition Bios or something. They're supposed to be 925/1375 yet they're running at 1000/1425 sure i can downclock them but i got artifacts on all three at stock clocks. Hell the last one i got was the worst passed some benchmarks then i fired up Crysis 3 and it was horrible then i got artifacts while idling at the desktop. The DDs also don't cool the VRMs well at all. Think i learned my lesson though...stick with reference from now on.

I think for a multi-monitor 120hz setup though it would require 3 or more Titans to maintain the refresh rate, though i guess it depends on how you look at it. I know that come next December (with the launch of new consoles) the setup i build wont be maxing games at 3240x1920 but as of right now 60fps on a 75hz display isn't bad for me, it's not flawless and i still get some tearing/sutter and motion blur, but it doesn't really hinder my performance. That said anything above 75fps my monitor isn't actually displaying cause of the refresh rate, so i figured either way 120hz will be beneficial.

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The Hero looks interesting but I will be skiping haswell as I did with IB.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  12. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    How does this compare to x79? I just bought the Rampage 4 Extreme,and a 3930K but I can rma it no problem if this new board is any better.

13. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    It will probably be the Pro for me.

14. Top3s

Top3s Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC
    Stick with what you've already got.X79 will serve those Titan's much better.

15. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I'm leaning more and more to going with x79 and the 3930k. Any others here with comments? I have until Monday to decide. I want to make sure Haswell and z87 are no better for a gaming rig. Thanks guys.

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It's like Bulldozer vs Phenom II all over again....lol

[​IMG]

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    This bench doesnt tell much that makes you wanna jump to any conclusions, just like that leaked Sisoft sandra (older version not supported for Haswell yet) :p

You will see its true power when it goes retail, I bet my left limb on that xD

Yeah me too either Deluxe or Pro, but I want better passive cooling and that extended radiator on Deluxe looks more interesting

18. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I would really appreciate more input,and suggestions from you guys. It's going to cost me to RMA my Rampage 4 Extreme mobo,and the 3930K. Ram too. Should I keep that configuration? Is Z87 and Haswell the way to go? Remember,I use this PC for gaming only. Thanks a ton people!!

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    New buffers, with 7way execution units vs 5way with any Intel cpu atm since conroe days
    bigger registers,
    bigger L1 and L2,
    improved HT,
    improved single threaded executions because of bigger register and 7-way unit engine
    new AVX2 and faster SSE executions
    better multicore operation because of all the above
    higher OC 5.4Ghz+

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/05/a-look-at-haswell/

Now you decide if worth having 2 extra old cores, imo its not :)

20. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It's hard to say what gaming performance will be like on Haswell, but it will most likely be similar or fractionally better than Ivy at the same clockspeed. Of course, ideally get the i7 since games are beginning to be more multithreaded (and the fact that the next gen consoles have 8 logical processors, so ported games will likely to benefit from it). It should overclock better than Ivy as well, maybe some people could reach 5Ghz on water (just guessing here). Ivy also brings in AVX2 which could be beneficial for driver optimisations, if/when implemented, and even more if implemented in the games (unlikely, at least for now).

If your current system is the i7-3770k in your sig, then changing over to the i7-3930 should bring little benefit, likewise changing to Haswell will only bring small benefit as well. Those on i5-2500K or i5-3570K will get some benefit from going to an i7-4770k but it is very much a cost/benefit thing.