Windows 8 people how do you clean install nvidia drivers?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by gamer1291, Apr 5, 2013.

1. gamer1291

gamer1291 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX-GTX-1070-O8G
    hello everyone i have been doing clean install everytime i download a new driver i select custom and tick clean install and thats it.

But does the clean install really remove all the left over of previous drivers?.

Should i use any other cleaning software to remove the left overs before i install new drivers?.

I remember when i used driver sweeper once on windows 8 and it screwed up my nvidia installer caused nvidia installer failed everytime i try to install any driver.

Will the left over files affect the performance of new drivers?.

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I stopped using a driver cleaner when Nvidia included the clean install option with their drivers. I don't even bother uninstalling the previous drivers anymore.

3. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

Wow! Let's see if I can remember the steps I take:

1. Download newest drivers

2. Uninstall existing drivers, but do not restart when prompted

3. Manually restart while holding "shift" key

4. Select troubleshoot installation

5. Select restart Advanced options (I think)

6. Enable safe mode #4

7. Install newest drivers

I think these are close to right, not sure without actually doing the steps. GL

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    5 steps too many bro. :p

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    If you don't use HDMI audio or 3D you can uncheck those in the custom install options. Other than that, I never use the 'driver cleaners'. Always using the 'Clean install' option does prevent your driver store from getting too large (couple of GB or more if you do frequent driver updates) as installing over the top, doesn't remove the roll back driver files. Really only a concern if you're limited in space on an SSD.

6. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

Might be, but I never have issues when others aren't as fortunate. :)

7. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Clean install.

I've been running my W7 64-bit install for 1.5 years. I've always updated my drivers to the first available BETA and WHQL on the day they've been made available.

I've always used the Nvidia clean install option and unticking other 3D jargon I don't need. Never had any issues.

Regards,

8. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    By ticking the clean install option on the installation interface on new drivers.

9. SaiBork

SaiBork Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 Ti / 4090
    I used to fully clean with driver sweeper, but I had an issue some time ago and nowadays I just run uninstall and after restart I do a install with the clean driver option selected.

10. gamer1291

gamer1291 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX-GTX-1070-O8G
    Thanks guys looks like i am fine using clean install option in nvidia installer just wanted to confirm with hardcore users like you all.

Happy to know i am doing it the right way cause i don't want any performance loss due to old drivers and left overs.

11. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Haven't used a cleaner in quite a wile. They really aren't recommended by nVidia or Microsoft for Windows 8 from what I have read. If I revert back drivers I find nVidia's clean install option is able to do a pretty good job.

I usually just uninstall and reinstall using nVidias clean install.

12. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    yeah no need for a cleaner for installing and uninstall nvidia drivers.

I only had to use cleaners for amd drivers.

13. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    I just uninstall old drivers, restart, then using driver fusion (have license) and clean nvidia drivers, then restart again, and it restarts as if no video driver is installed because the resolution is small, then install new drivers. And that's all. I think i do the right thing.

14. gamer1291

gamer1291 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX-GTX-1070-O8G
    I dont know how it worked for you but when i used driver fusion and cleaned nvidia driver i was unable to install any nvidia driver it always says nvidia installer failed.

So i had to format and reinstall my windows 8 again just cause of using the cleaner.

From then on i never tried using driver fusion again for cleaning nvidia drivers now i just run the nvidia installer then custom then clean install.

15. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    In the NVCP click "system information" and then the "components" tab, as long as the last 5 digits (which should be the version of the driver you installed) match for all the files listed there you are installed correctly. (except for the sections labeled for physx, hdmi audio and 3dvision)

16. nakquada

nakquada Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    Ive never had to use a driver cleaner or sweeper. I've always used nVidias 'Clean Install' option or not used anything at all.

Constant use of Driver Sweeper or similar is absolute madness, and serves one purpose only - satisfying the weird OCD fetish of some of the users.

A simple uninstall/reinstall is more that sufficient in every case.

17. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Also just in case, set your resolution to something lower and more "default" like 1024x768. For some reason half way through uninstalling my screen would go blank. Turning down the resolution before uninstalling for some reason fixed it.

Dunno might be just due to my 120Hz monitor though.

18. sqook

sqook Guest

GPU:
    3000 + Gt 525m(o.c)
    uninstall driver restart pc
    and new driver administrator :) restart
    no problemsss :)

19. xaudiox

xaudiox Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuff OC
    "But does the clean install really remove all the left over of previous drivers?"
    Yes, whatever is left over gets overwritten with new driver.

"I remember when i used driver sweeper once on windows 8 and it screwed up my nvidia installer caused nvidia installer failed everytime i try to install any driver"
    No need, creates more problems than it fixes.

Run nVidia installer as admin, custom install, clean install, restart, Done.
    Simple.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If I'm doing a clean install....I just run the installer as admin and select the clean install option.

Ditto....