Ashampoo Burning Studio "highly" recommended!

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Food, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Food

Food Banned

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTX 768MB
    Best burning software ever!
    this is the one to get if you loved the old NERO 5.5 / 6.0 and hate Nero 7 bloated crap. i purchased this one after trying it.

http://www.ashampoo.com/frontend/products/php/product.php?session_langid=2&idstring=0710

also i tried their Ashampoo Firewall Pro (they also got a Free personal version) and it is very nice, users on the verge of suicide because of ZoneAlarm and wanting to switch this is the firewall to aim for, simple, clear and doesn't annoy with lots of popups but can be pretty deep if you want to. it just works perfectly. Comodo and Outpost are obviously the best firewalls out there, but Comodo can be annoying and some programs can be tricky to configure, Outpost as a firewall is superb but it is turning into another ZoneAlarm and honestly their latest version slowed down browsing considerably for some reason.

so yes i recommend AFP and give it a try works wonders.

Free personal version : http://www.ashampoo.com/frontend/products/php/product.php?session_langid=2&idstring=0050

Both are Windows Vista ready. :cops:

www.ashampoo.com

Firewall

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Burning Studio
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  2. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Almost like Advertisement, don't work for them by any chance? :)

3. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    He's a chef, A: The name B: The spam thread he talks about food a lot C:He told me.

4. Food

Food Banned

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTX 768MB
    4: try the software and enjoy it instead of going out of topic both of ye LOL! :D

5. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I am on topic, I was asking about the software and you :)

6. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
  7. Food

Food Banned

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTX 768MB
    looks like nero indeed but it is a lot better because you get the familiar looks, latest support for new recorders and OS but no bloated crap in it :)

The firewall is very good and i had NONE of the problems mentioned in the websites you gave, as far as security (stealth mode, apps blocking) and simplicity it works for me and most of all it is stable as a rock, passed GRC test, doesnt slow down anything, doesn't hang apps like Firefox and
    it also blocked LEAKTEST so... :p

[​IMG]

@Finch: nope don't work for anyone but i like to advice users on good software based on my personal experience with it, can save some of them a lot of hassle. :) i like to take the time to write things down once in a while.
    looks like advertising? LOL :D now i know which road to take if cooking fails... MARKETING! lol

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  8. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I have used Comodo and atm I use Zone Alarm. Do you recommend me to change? I allso use and like Nero.

All works fine. Is it worth of trying those now or wait to time, when i have to reinstall Windows or something else like that goes wrong and i need to re-install apps? I do not wan't to fix working ones, so is it really that much better, firewall and cd/dvd-burner?

9. Food

Food Banned

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTX 768MB
    if you are using NERO 7 and would like something better that doesn't install lots of crap you dont need i highly recommedn you try BURNING STUDIO, if you are using ZoneAlarm, then i recommend you give a try to Ashampoo Firewall :)

it is better to try BEFORE you format, not after you format ;)

just make sure you uninstall Zonealarm before installing the other firewall.

10. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    So I installed that burning studio and it works fine, tested some cd's and dvd's and no problems, well, I had no with Nero too, but looks good. I'm going to start using it.

Hard to say about that Firewall. Used it some hours and everything working fine. Looks like Comodo and Zone Alarm. Hard to say this early which I like most. I'm going to use it some weeks and if it still works fine I'll change Zone Alarm to it. If I have any problems with it surely I'm going back to Zone Alarm :) ... Ah, yes, I unplugged my net cable and removed Zone Alarm before installing. After installing and bootin net cable back to internet. :)

11. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    That is only one of the 26 leak test tool used in the test i pointed to (the oldest test there is).

Based on what i know, i would not recommend Ashampoo over Comodo or ZoneAlarm PRO (not so sure about ZoneAlarm free). Comodo, Jetico and ZoneAlarm PRO are all better firewalls as far as i can tell.

It's not that im saying leak protection is everything in a firewall. In fact it's not even part of what "normal" firewalls do (packet filtering, port control etc.). If you only need inbound protection, get a router or use a packet filter/inbound only firewall.

However when talking about personal firewalls (i.e. software firewalls) claiming to offer outbound protection in form of system, program and component control, it is a vital part. If your firewall claims to be able to give you control of outbound traffic it will need strong leak "awareness". Otherwise things like malware can just piggyback on legitimate programs and components. To avoid this the firewall really needs to be a mix of a firewall and a HIPS, or have HIPS like capabilities.

12. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Ok... It seems that I'm back to Comodo... Or does someone have any other ideas?

13. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Ok... Problems started to appear when I was uninstalling that FireWall. So I closed FireWall, started to uninstall, uninstalling crashed, which caused Opera crash and mIRC crash... Then suddenly the whole system was down. Then I opened Total Commander ( http://www.ghisler.com/ ) and removed that directory, where it was... I managed to remove it, but system crashed. I tryed to shut down, but did not work, so I pressed the power button.

Then system booted up. Ashampoo FireWall sayed, that uninstalling was done, then system needs to be booted to finish uninstalling, so i booted. Now system is working fine. Well... These problems made me think that if that burning studio has same kind of problems and if it's good idea to use it.

14. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    It is quite new so it likely still have some bugs.

Make sure you really got it uninstalled, look under your services (Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services) for a name related to the firewall (Ashampoo etc.). Also in device manager (start - run - devmgmt.msc) with hidden devices shown (View - shown hidden devices), under "non plug and play drivers" you can look for it's driver (Be very careful what you uninstall from this list). You might want to run ccleaner and let it clean/fix.

Comodo is one of the best software firewalls around i think, what about it don't you like if i may ask ?

I can point you to other firewalls to try, but it all depend on what you want. A very strong grip on the system, or light on the system both in resources and how deep and strong it has it's teeth sinked into it. For the most part one comes at the cost of the other.

Jetico is nice but takes time to learn, and i think it's only the people who are use to (and like, lol) setting up firewall rules, that will truly appreciate Jetico.
    http://www.jetico.com/jpfirewall.htm

15. Freedom Eclipse

Freedom Eclipse Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 970
    Im currently running Zonealarm pro & A version of NOD32 which both are 'borrowed from a friend' I admit Zone alarm does get annoying time to time but. so long as it does its job properly i got no complaints. least it doesnt suck your physical (& virtual possibly) memory dry like Norton. ppl who go suicidal because of Zonealarm are just impatient. sure it takes a long time to let it get use to the programs you run & stuff but after that its fine. it just sits there & does say crap unless the guy whose wireless net im hi-jacking/piggy-backing decides he wants to take a visit into my shared folders.....

If your names not on the list, you aint comin in

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I use comodo firewall, it is second to none in leak-test and it is not really heavy for system.

17. =GK= KuMaK-GL

=GK= KuMaK-GL Member

GPU:
    PoV 6800GT
    Why does every1 hates Nero 7-series? I personally has never had problem using that :O

18. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Don't know, i just know i have not even bothered installing it yet, version 6 is working just fine so i really don't see the point. Also it seems that with every version of a software the chance of it getting more bloated exists and many do just that, get more bloated.

19. Food

Food Banned

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTX 768MB
    exactly... BLOATED is a word i don't want to hear in a software [​IMG]