Gigabyte overtaking ASUS in motherboard market

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 17, 2013.

1. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Overall Gigabyte have been more reliable for me. The only boards which have ever truly died on me were either ASUS or MSI, but after a dodgy power supply fried 2 giga boards I took the plunge and went ASUS. One of these did go dodgy, but was replaced. So far, not bad.

2. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    Back in the day I had a number of P4P800 and P4C800's fail on me, ever since I've been using Gigabyte and never had a problem. I know that that was ages ago and doesn't indicate current designs but it's always stuck in my head.

3. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I've owned about 12 mobo's over the years.
    Started out with Asus boards till one died on me.
    Been using Gigabytes ever since and never looked back.
    I love UP4 series of boards, fullish feature set at mid pricing.

4. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4090 Strix
    Been a ABIT hardcore in past, i kinda swear i was never using a Asus mobo, as time went by and ABIT start to go down... i switch to DFI.... also going down i switch to Gigabyte but had the worst luck with it.... issues with infinite loop cold starts, no OCing and the board was unstable restarting on its own even in idle... i RMA it and the second was fine for couple of months and the same behavior.... switch to ASUS and 3 boards no problems... right now its the only brand im considering, but in time... who knows.

5. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    I'll take Gigabyte over Asus if I have to chose between the two, simply because of the price.

But I'll take MSI over the two because my good experiences with it.

6. brendanvista

brendanvista Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    It takes about 10 minutes to find a BIOS to download off of ASUS's site, and then another 10 for it to actually download on my 50 meg connection. They have terrrrrrible support. I had an asus board, and honestly their terrible website convinced me to switch.

7. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Same thing happened to me with gigabyte, only in my case it was the cpu. But this experience showed me the quality of the sabertooth z77. A truly TUF motherboard.

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Only Gigabyte board I owned would crash when I tried to run an 8350 at stock with it. It was supposedly designed for high power draw, but apparently not. Or it was just defective. Either way I'm not crazy about the company.

9. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I gotta go the other way.
    First off when i need an rma gigabutt over anus anyday.
    The boards i have been using for sb and ivy(p67ud7/z77xud5)have been solid,even the bios.
    Anus on the other hand, two pn5';s i had died within weeks so i was not buying into that holier then thuo asus for long.
    When i went to x79,RIVE was the only board to run on and overclock well and easy.
    I mean come on it was the only x79 board with out alot of issues at launch
    BUT the thing is crasy man,blew the sound port,then eithernet port for 500usd wth.
    Wont even try to rma since it took them 4 months to get a rma on my matrix

If i buy asus i realise after 30 days it breaks it goes into trash heap if i cant fix it.
    Gigabyte answers the phone bing bam boom you got rma,two weeks later you have new board.
    I'll take my chances with gigabutt as alot more have been by the looks of the numbers

10. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    I like the number schemes for gigabyte motherboards. YOu always know there is a basic 3, a performance 5, and an all-winning enthusiast 7 or 9. That makes picking up the right motherboard for a brand new just released socket much easier. Plus even the bottom of the line boards from gigabyte usually outspec asus as asus does some super budget stuff and giga doesn't

11. WaqasR

WaqasR Member

GPU:
    Saphire Radeon R9 270X
    our 3 asus mobo has died recently with the difference of 3 weeks . then i decided to not buy asus mobo again .
    i purchased gigabyte mobo and very happy so far

12. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    i like gigabyte :)

13. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    when I had a gigabyte mobo die on me it took 5 weeks before the retailer got a reply , they sent the mobo back repaired and it lasted a week before the power part went again (same ships they replaced) .
    hence why I went for an asus based mobo

14. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    In the past i had always been buying building rigs with Gigabyte mobos for myself and friends they have been great and reliable.This time around i decided to go with an Asus board for my latest build the P8Z77-V DELUXE and i haven't regretted it,great built quality,nice looking board with tons of features and overall great and stable for Overclocking with no problems whatsoever so far,forgot to mention the excellent uefi bios interface.
    By the way this is my first Asus board...

15. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    While the oldest motherboard still in service in one of my rigs is an Asus (built 1995, don't remember the exakt model without opening the case and looking) I will never ever buy Asus again. The last Asus board I owned got progressively hotter, up to the point of locking up. I checked it, and the chipset heatsink was connected to the northbridge on one corner only ! And on that corner the thermal paste had literally burned away, which was why the board got ever hotter. My current Gigabyte ? No issues whatsoever. Not to mention that my two Gigabyte 660s run perfectly as well.

16. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I'm having hard time thinking which brand I would NOT take over Asus.

17. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I struggle to buy any other brand than Gigabyte.

18. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Well, I personally for years now my GPUs and Motherboards were Gigabyte and MSI, I've never touched Asus...I don't know why, so I vote for Gigabyte anytime...!!!
    When i was working as a technician at my country's army most dead mobos where ASUS and MSI...never got to replace a Gigabyte one, that was a win for my time!

19. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Seems that every one had issue with both companies. I had many gigabyte motherboards in the past and none failed. But in this case the gigabyte mobo failed cause of my faulty cpu, what was interesting is that my sabertooth handled the problematic cpu so much better and survived the months of testing i put it through. That was a clear example of the quality of the parts on the sabertooth.

20. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    The only problems i ever had with Gigabyte motherboards (2 boards) in particular had a cold boot issue where the pc will endlessly turn on and off in a never ending loop,the only fix was to reset the cmos or removing the battery.Can't say anything for Asus boards yet as i only have had my mobo for about 9 months now running almost 10 to 15 hours daily overclocked without any issues yet.