Depression, can't sleep.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by signex, Mar 6, 2017.

1. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    What thatguy91 said.
    D and Magnesium (it helps if you combine Vit. D with Calcium)

And finally, if you have the nightly awakenings with tachycardia and can't calm down from 200 BPM (accompanied by sweaty hands, hyperventilation etc. you name it) then please ask the doctor you trust for a prescription of beta-blocker (selective! -> bisoprolol; i.e. "Concor") for these cases only!!

The method to not get to that point where you have to either call the ambulance or take a beta-blocker is the combined effort of you to get a proper schedule going and to wake up with the sunlight and go to bed the moment you get tired. Don't overdo the point when you should go to bed and then later you just aren't tired anymore.
    An offset in your melatonine levels may be the cause as well, if you tend to have a very variable sleep cycle to begin with (stay up 24h etc.)

So to counter the "issue" in the long run
    - go to sleep the moment your body is tired
    - normalize your schedule in coherence with sunlight times
    - don't do stuff that stirs you up in the evening
    - do sports on a daily basis, preferably in the early evening so it makes you tired (go out for 30-60 minutes every day.)
    - drink valerian extract tea ~1h before going to sleep

"First-Aid" in case you are feeling that your heart rate is slowly but surely propelling up to 200BPM and can't calm down by yourself:

- assume a half-seated / half-lying down position
    - regulate your breathing by using a bag to breathe for 1-2 minutes
    if this doesn't help and you are starting to feel uncomfortable
    - take low dosed beta-blocker (you can also preventively take a lorazepam before going to bed on critical days, where you know you can't test out how long it will take to calm down)

BUT in general mostly alone by knowing you have a counteracting pill available this in 80% of the times (minor cases of anxiety disorder) helps to prevent any problems most of the time, because this knowledge will calm you down.

2. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    That's actually true and a fact, the moment i take my metroprolol the heart is instantly calm and so am i.(ofc the medicine won't work in an instant, but the thought of you took the medicine calms you down)

Metroprolol is actually a betablocker, slows heartrate and lowers your blood pressure.

Breathing method helps a bit yes, i don't use a bag though. I just breath in through my nose and hold it for 3 sec and slowly release it through my mouth.

Luckily i don't wake up middle of my sleep anymore, metroprolol helps with that.

3. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    This song 'Weightless' from Marconi Union has a very specific effect that forces your brain to calm down, induces drowsiness and therapists found it to have a very strong effect reducing panic attacks. It's also known as the most sleep-inducing music ever, so don't play it when driving.

As far as I can tell, listening with headphones on puts a sort of heartbeat rhythm in your head that overpowers the one you have (like in a panic attack), so your brain tries to adapt to that instead of racing with your own heart.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I totally forgot to mention this. It's a very effective and 100% natural product which I take in form of pills or tea whenever I have problems falling asleep. Yet another perk of exercise though is that you WILL get tired and feel the need for recovery (sleep) much stronger, hence why I only use valerian extract just occasionally these days.

5. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Dude...That video made me go to sleep.....Just Now!...at Work!...My Boss just Kicked me to wake me up!......:D

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I played it for 30 seconds and could feel myself going into a daydream state so turned it off :D

Might try this tonight, although I'm sleeping OK atm

7. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    I had a link to a Telegraph article that went AWOL...(three attempts just now to actually copy/paste the link...weird).

8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I started yawning 15 seconds in it lolwut. :giggle2:

9. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    Will take a note of that!

Got the new pills too, but they work best after 4-6 weeks sadly.

10. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    You're right, the pills i got are Citalopram, do you know it?

Side effects seem doable though, can always take a paracetamol if i get headaches.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea I was prescribed it years ago for suspected depression too, but I never stayed on antidepressants long, they all zombie'fy me, I lose my personality completely and turn into a boring veg who wants to do even less, no interest in anything at all on stuff like that

Docs are too quick to prescribe it too IMO, one quick 5 min talk and you walk away with antidepressant prescription, no real checks on what else could be the issue

12. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    True, but he did warn me about oxazepam though.

I just read some stuff online, it does have pretty bad side effects, oh god i hope i make the night lol.
    Thankfully i got a new batch of oxazepam, if it does get worse i still have that to calm me down.

I do feel like i'm getting better, if the side effects are worse i'll just continue a little longer with oxazepam.
    Even 5mg still works, i use that when i get a little bit anxious during the day.
    I'll let you know how it goes.

They do say they will work great after 4-6 weeks depending on the person. (takes longer for older people)
    Hope i get lucky and don't get these horrible side effects for too long.

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Yea most ADs take a few weeks to get into your system properly and start working, I don't read side effects before taking medication otherwise suddenly I have all of them

I just start taking them and if I feel anything strange then I know it's real

Worst sides I got from ADs were weird electric shocks through my eyes neck and back when I moved my head or eyes to look around

14. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    It doesn't say on the paper i got with the medicine i get these side effects, maybe it's VERY rare to get them that they didn't find it worth mentioning i don't know.

If it gets worse i'll just quit and talk to my doctor again, and see what else there is.

I could try my mom's medicine, they seemed to work after a week she told me.
    She only had these side effects for a few days, burning sensation.
    She took oxazepam to get rid of the side effects so that's good.

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You'll generally get rare sides listed, but that doesn't mean you won't get something not listed, everyone reacts differently, but yea sides can go away once your body becomes used to the meds too, depends how long you want to put up with them and how bad they are

I wouldn't advise taking other peoples meds, maybe mention to the doc you tried that type of medication from a 'friend' and it worked, and could they try you on that

(Sent you a PM btw)

16. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    I won't take them from my mom, i'll try these first and see how it goes.

If i do get these side effects, i hope oxazepam helps if not i will make an appointment right away and tell him about the meds my mom uses and hear what he has to say about them.

My mom just told me, she only had side effects for couple of days, they were pretty bad though but oxazepam worked completely and got rid of the side effects.

17. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    I think exercise is key to battling depression + sleep issues.

Been there myself. Good luck!

p.s be carefull with drink! When you are on citalopram drink can really hit you harder than you think...can make you a bit loopy. :)

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You'll eventually find something that works and agrees with you no doubt, or close enough, but unfortunately with meds like ADs, you are a guinea pig for a few months / year until that happens, as it takes weeks for them to start working, you need to test each one for at minimum 4-6 weeks each before deciding if it's going to work for you or not, if not, there's another 4-6 on the next, and sometimes you need to allow time for the last one to leave your system etc

Long process unless you get lucky with the first meds but battle through it and no doubt things will start looking better within the year

19. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    Just took 5mg of tho's new pills, 15-20min ago, so far so good.

Only feel a little heavy, and sweaty feet and hands but nothing i can complain about.

20. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    I gotta say i was once in same place, and this year something worse than depression hit me, well still is but it's another story...

I was 97kg in last October and now i'm 78kg and getting fitter with each days that passes, what i highly suggest u to do, is FORCE yourself to start working out, even by just going for fast walks for about one hour and half.

That alone could provide you a great, healthy exercise while u can meditate and keep thinking about important other stuff, while your mood is changing for better.

Once I forced myself to do so i became another person totally, depression ****s up with the mind hard, working out and keep moving, being positively busy is the medicine to kill it :)