R9 280X runs horribly bad

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Xrider, Oct 23, 2013.

1. JonathonM

JonathonM Guest

GPU:
    6970 Crossfire
    AC3 runs terribly on my rig as well. But everything else runs fine. There is something funky in the game engine in the cities which chops the framerate (most of what I have read points to a Cpu bottleneck of some sort). Even my 3770k gets me about 30fps in the cities. Try another game (BF3 runs great for me) to check whether it s just AC3.

2. Xrider

Xrider Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX1070
    I tried other games and they run bad as well. I'm sure it's not the game but something on my end...

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    We still need more info. Show us the actual clockspeeds, temperatures, GPU usage, etc... using software like MSI AfterBurner, in-game.

4. Trilogy94

Trilogy94 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 285 SLI
    I believe it's your current CPU Generation, it just can't keep up. A friend of mine bought a GTX 560Ti but had a core 2 Quad CPU @ 2.8 Ghz. He had low framerate and could not play the game Tribes:Ascend maxed out, we noticed that the GPU only had a usage of 20%. He upgraded the system later to a 3rd Gen i5. The difference was supreme, ~90% usage and +120 fps more. As an i7 920 owner myself, I know that this CPU limit has already been reached due to other hardware. I believe you should try the card on a modern 3rd Gen or better system to see what perfomance you can get.

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    No, I'm running two and its fine. A 920 would never bottleneck a 560Ti and that doesn't explain why the 280x runs slower.

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It's true the CPU (and 1333 RAM to a small extent) would be holding it back a bit, but it wouldn't equate for it running so terribly in comparison to a lesser GPU.

As others have suggested, the best bet would be to re-install (and fully update) Windows and go from there. Just make sure you have all your saved game data and other stuff backed up, as the only real way to reinstall Windows is to wipe the drive/partition it is on and start over. If this is not preferable, then check those clock speeds as I suggested earlier. Even if that isn't the issue, you at least remove that from the list of potential causes.

7. Lucifer

Lucifer Guest

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2060S
    in what resolution are you playing and what is your CPU & GPU utilization when playing games ?
    for me in AC3, environment quality gives big performance hit, if I set it at high rather than very high quality, the game will almost lock on to 60 fps.
    have you try to disable the saving in win7 PCIE link state power management ?
    also try to disable any core parking.

8. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    His problem is all games.

9. ssenginss

ssenginss Member

GPU:
    Gtx580
    Hello, Even if you solve your current fps problem you will need a new faster cpu because i7 920 will surely bottleneck your r9 280x especially while playing online games. I had performance issues with gtx850 + phenom II x940 before which ended up with a 3570K upgrade.

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    A single 280X @ 1080p DOES NOT cause a CPU bottleneck with an i7 920 EXCEPT if you're aiming for 120Hz where even newer-gen CPUs bottleneck (to a lesser extent).

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    A 920 is a perfectly good cpu to run with 280x. I would overclock it though. Op, reply to what yasa was asking.

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    His 920 is plenty faster than your phenom was.

13. japamd

japamd Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970Ghz
    Looks like a bad card or a PSU issue for me. If you can test the card in another PC or using another PSU, give it a try.

14. ssenginss

ssenginss Member

GPU:
    Gtx580
    We are talking about a piece of technology which is 4-5 years old besides if you want to play online games bf3, bf4 for example ,that cpu will not meet all the requirements. Okey maybe by definition it is not a proper bottleneck but you would lose considerable performance.

15. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    dude just do a fresh win 7 install

16. Lucifer

Lucifer Guest

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2060S
    well yea, but AC3 in a crowded environment can utilize all thread of my proc (not all 100% though) and IMO i7-920 is decent enough to keep up with single 280X

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    That i7 will run bf3+4 great, don't know what you're talking about. What requirements?

I'll just leave this here. The more resolution and AA you throw at it, the closer they will run, of course. See the i7 930 performing almost on par with 2500k, even running lower clocks. That's the 4-5 year old tech you're talking about. the i7 930 is the same cpu as the i7 920, only clocked a tiny bit higher. So, the i7 920 at around 4ghz will do just fine

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  18. Elite3540

Elite3540 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G OC
    First of all:

try using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller)

Link: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379505

than click on the third option "Uninstall the latest and PREVIOUS drivers and shutdown the computer with no rescan" also tick the box "Remove all AMD drivers/NVIDIA drivers"

If you tried this than try installing the latest driver of AMD:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=382660

AMD Catalyst 13.11 BETA3 (13.250.18.0 October 7)

Instead of BETA 1, because it might have more fixes, also support for the new cards.

19. DarthElvis

DarthElvis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx980 g1
    Nothing much has changed in the last 3 years to be honest. What major developments in the CPU world have happened? Sandy bridge to Haswell? Give me a break, a minor upgrade at best. His i7 is fine, get it to 4.0Ghz and he's good for awhile yet. Saying something is 4 years old now is not the same as saying 4 years old in 2003.

20. HellfireZA

HellfireZA Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9-280x WF3 OC
    You are wrong and everyone else who says the 920 D0 doesn't bottle neck the card. A week ago on stock with turbo, I ran valley benchmark (So the cpu was at 2.8ghz turbo) I got 63fps. I then put it back to my usual 4ghz which is piss easy to do on the 920D0 and it went to 86fps. I had not tried it in any games but I call that a HUGE bottleneck. I now have the setup that's in my sig.

Valley was running on High, 1080p, no AA, Tessellation Extreme.