RT Vista UAC Workaround

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by FlyingHorse, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlyingHorse

FlyingHorse Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD Graphics
    I have found a workaround that allows using RT 2.01 in Windows Vista x86 while keeping UAC enabled and without being prompted at logon.
    Before I go any further please read Unwinders own post and heed his warnings!!
    This has been working for me for some time now without issue. YMMV
    I know that all this may seem a bit daunting, but the rewards of having UAC and RivaTuner living in harmony is well worth the effort!
    HTH

There are 4 steps to be done:

1.) Modify the registry for the RivaTuner32 service located at:
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RivaTuner32
    We must change the startup type from 'On Demand' to 'Automatic'. You can accomplish this by changing the 'Start' DWORD entry to 2.
    [​IMG]

You can also copy and paste the following into a "AnyNameYouWant.reg" file and then double-click on it:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RivaTuner32]
    "Start"=dword:00000002

Either way, regedit should ask you for administrative privileges.

EDITED 2007-07-02: Sometimes RT service would trigger an error message in the Windows logs if set to start at Boot. I have found no such problem when the service is set to Automatic (Start value 2). - FH

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  2. FlyingHorse

FlyingHorse Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD Graphics
    2.) You have to be running as an administrator in order to do the following. I suggest opening Windows Explorer as well as Notepad (or whatever your file manager and text editor of choice are) by right clicking and selecting 'Run as administrator'.

Now we must modify RivaTuner's manifest file so as NOT to automatically require Administrative privledges. The file is located in the same directory where RivaTuner is installed (normally C:\Program Files\RivaTuner v2.01\).
    The file we are looking for is: RivaTuner.exe.manifest. Make a backup copy just to be on the safe side.
    The line we are modifing is:
    Code:
    <requestedExecutionLevel level="requireAdministrator"/>
    We must change this so that Administrative Privledges are not required by editing it to:
    Code:
    <requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker"/>
    When finished the file should now look like this (you can copy and paste the code below too):
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
    <assemblyIdentity
        name="RivaTuner"
        processorArchitecture="x86"
        version="2.1.0.0"
        type="win32"/>
    <description>RivaTuner</description>
    <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
        <security>
            <requestedPrivileges>
                <requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker"/> 
            </requestedPrivileges>
        </security>
    </trustInfo>
    <dependency>
        <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity
                type="win32"
                name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
                version="6.0.0.0"
                processorArchitecture="x86"
                publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
                language="*"
            />
        </dependentAssembly>
    </dependency>
    </assembly>

When you are finished, save the new manifest file as "RivaTuner.exe.manifest" and then write protect (VERY IMPORTANT) the file. If you do not write protect this file RivaTuner will change it back to its default settings.
    [​IMG]

3. FlyingHorse

FlyingHorse Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD Graphics
    3.) The third step is to disable RivaTuner from running at windows startup. This will disable one of two registry entries, leave the second as it is:
    [​IMG]

Next we enable it to run as a Scheduled Task:
    First open Task Scheduler by clicking "Start->Control Panel->System and Maintenance->Administrative Tools:Scheduled tasks". Under 'Actions' in the right hand column select 'Create Task'.
    In the 'General' tab give the task a name, select 'Run only when user is logged on' and 'Run with highest privileges' (VERY IMPORTANT).
    Running with 'Higest Privileges' is the same as running as Administrator but you won't be bothered by UAC prompt at startup.
    [​IMG]

Under 'Triggers' tab click on 'New...' select 'Begin the task: At log on', 'Specific user or group' (should default to your username), and 'Enabled'.
    [​IMG]

Under 'Actions tab click on 'New...' select 'Action: Start a program', 'Browse' to RivaTuner.exe and 'Add argument: /T' (VERY IMPORTANT).
    [​IMG]

Under 'Conditions' tab clear all check boxes.
    [​IMG]

Under 'Settings' tab select 'Allow task to be run on demand' and 'If the running task does not end...'.
    [​IMG]

Finally click on 'OK' and you will prompted for your user password. Check that the new entry was created and that the status is 'Ready'.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  4. FlyingHorse

FlyingHorse Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD Graphics
    4.) The final step is to edit all your RivaTuner shortcuts to 'Run as administrator' (VERY IMPORTANT).
    Right click your RivaTuner shortcuts and under the 'Shortcut' tab click 'Advanced...' then select 'Run as administrator'
    RivaTuner must run as Administrator in order to function correctly, though you won't be bothered with UAC prompts during startup you will still have to answer to them during the normal course of opperating RivaTuner once you are logged in.
    [​IMG]

Exit all programs and reboot your machine. If you still get prompted to allow RivaTuner to run re-check these instructions carefully and try again.

5. Lord Banshee

Lord Banshee Master Guru

GPU:
    X1950XT 512 @ FireGL 7350
    Wow

Do you know if this works for other programs too? My fan speed controller software does the same thing and i disabled UAC because of it :( .

6. FlyingHorse

FlyingHorse Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD Graphics
    @Lord Banshee
    Well, I hate to say it, but it depends. I have some legacy apps that assume they have administrator rights and won't start cleanly with UAC enabled. I was able to get them working with no problem by using the same method with Task Scheduler as I do with RT.

Just make sure that the program in question is not set to start under one of the 'Run' registry keys or the 'Start' folder. It's easy enough to check with AutoRuns

If however, like RT, the program is starting a service or loading a driver then it may not be possible.

HTH

7. ginfest

ginfest New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 260 GTX
    Nice guide, appreciate it :)

8. robert3892

robert3892 Guest

How do you allow the system to make the fan speed 100 percent at startup since your mod doesn't seem to allow this to work?

9. FlyingHorse

FlyingHorse Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD Graphics
    @robert3892
    I'm sorry but a little more information would be helpful. What Vista version are you using? Did you complete all the steps outlined above and ONLY those steps? Did you reboot? When you set your fan speed controls are you sure you were running RivaTuner from a link modified to run as an administrator as shown above?

Also make sure you read all the release notes for RT.

Let us know how it goes.

10. robert3892

robert3892 Guest

This is what I want to do

I want to allow the rivatuner fan to run 100 percent at startup with the UAC NOT asking me to allow it. I have followed your settings but I still get the prompt. In order to have 100 fan speed the box shown below must be ticked

[​IMG]

11. GAR818

GAR818 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    just disable UAC, thats what i did, i have no issues with it what so ever.

12. FlyingHorse

FlyingHorse Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD Graphics
    Thank you for your input but that is not the point of this thread.

13. FlyingHorse

FlyingHorse Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD Graphics
    @robert3892
    This is how I do it:
    First create a Low Level fan profile like this:
    [​IMG]

Next create a Launcher item like this:
    [​IMG]

Last add an additional action under your Task Scheduler entry using the "/L:" command line switch with the Launcher Name you used above:
    [​IMG]

Let me know if you have trouble getting it to work.

14. Dingchow

Dingchow Active Member

GPU:
    Palit+Evga 260 GTX SC Sli
    You get same result by turning down UAC. It does have more than on/off settings. Create a fan and launcher profile like on Flyinghorse's post.

Then just goto to administrator tools--Local security policy---Local Policy--Security Options-- look for User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode and pick Elevate without prompting

User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode

This security setting determines the behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators

The options are:

• Prompt for consent: YES/NO
    • Prompt for credentials: USER NAME + PASSWORD
    • Elevate without prompting: On but less intrusive
    The advantages and benefits of automatic elevate without prompting UAC request compared with completely disable UAC are that some security features of UAC are still working and less annoying:

* Request for elevation in execution privileges will be consented and succeed automatically, thus no prompt to user.
    * Applications will still run with limited non-admin privileges in standard user mode until the program requests the rights.
    * Legacy applications that were not designed to support standard user accounts can continue to run in standard credentials without modification using the built-in file system and registry virtualization or sandbox feature.
    * Users login with standard user account will still prompt for an administrator password as with Over-the-Shoulder (OTS) Credentials feature.
    * Protected Mode IE will still work.

Restart

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  15. FlyingHorse

FlyingHorse Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD Graphics
    Have you actually tried this yourself? Can you verify that it works? If so could you tell me what Vista version you are using?

I've tried the same approach on the version I am running (Vista Ultimate x86) and found that it does not work...

16. skypapa

skypapa Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 5850
    Hey, FlyingHorse.
    I'm running 32 bit ultimate as Administrator per this thread from OCUA http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=559222&page=5&highlight=vista+administrator.

This is how it goes:

Administrative Tools
    Computer Management
    Local Users and Groups
    Users

You should see 3 accounts listed;

Administrator
    <Your current account name>

You need to;

Disable the 2 other accounts by right clicking the account name and selecting properties. Then Check the "Account is disabled" box.
    Then right click the administrator account, and Un-Check the "Account is disabled" box.

Log out of vista, and after it logs out, you will just see the admin account login icon.

So, it works for me,running as administer with UAC on.

My question is will I have to do your fix even as administrator?
    I have an 8800gtx coming as an evga step-up and from what I've read I will need RT to get the fan to run at speed.
    If so, I will save this thread and follow the instructions.
    Thanks

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  17. FlyingHorse

FlyingHorse Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD Graphics
    No you shouldn't. By doing as you describe you will completely disable UAC and all processes will run with Administrative Privileges.

The idea of my tutorial is to maintain a system with LUA (Least-privileged User Acounts) by keeping UAC enabled. You might want to read this Microsoft Technet article for more information.

HTH

18. tralalalala

tralalalala Banned

GPU:
    6600 GT
    yeah i would like to keep UAC on aswell...

19. Dingchow

Dingchow Active Member

GPU:
    Palit+Evga 260 GTX SC Sli
    I am running Vista Ultimate x86. YES it works if you mean having no pop ups for Riva starting or changing fan speed.

20. skypapa

skypapa Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 5850
    What you have done is great for the target you intended.

Yea, I read that a while ago and had forgotten.

Essentially what it says is that UAC was designed for Enterprise applications.
    Here as some of the things it says you can't do as a standard user.

Install and uninstall applications
    Install a driver for a device (E.G. a digital camera driver)
    Install Windows updates
    Install an ActiveX control
    Open the Windows Firewall Control Panel
    Change a user's account type
    Copy or move files into the Program Files or Windows directory
    Restore system backed-up files
    Configure Automatic Updates

Yea, i know you just have to say OK, But when manipulating files, drivers, installs and all, I just got too annoyed and wasn't paying an attention to what it said.

Running as Administrator does open you up to the same things that XP did. Malware, etc.
    So, I run Windows firewall and AVG, Adaware, A2 as well in a not always on mode.

Regards

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.