AMD Phenom II X4 920 and 940 review [Guru3D]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jan 8, 2009.

1. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    He is so much of a 'PRO' he missed your non OC to non OC comparison in every benchmark. Perhaps he can link us to his professional reviews eh? LOL What a nack.

2. DES_MX

DES_MX Guest

GPU:
    GTX480 850/4400 1.075v
    First of all, Hilbert, I am not a little kid. Second - I am not bitching by any account, but pointing out how and why the article seems biased. Third, before anyone will start using the "fanboy" labels, I have been switchinb back and forth from Intel to AMD and back to Intel for several years now.

As to your rather *rude* response, I would like to give a few counter-arguments:

1) You probably just got angry and didn't pay attention to my post at all, since I was saying that ON AVERAGE the HTT does not give any benefit to performance. Now you just gave me a link to your own review in KribiBench, where indeed IT DOES. Ironically that's a SINGLE bench result, and HTT at ITS BEST.

To oppose this, I would like to repeat again that if you take an average of different purpose test suites (Matlab, Mathematica, 7zip, WinRar, FLAC, Lame, XVid, Divx, PHP Calculator, PHPSpeed, Synthetic MySQL, Call of Duty 4, Company of Heroes, Call of Juarez, Crysis, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Unreal Tournament 3, World in Conflict) you gain around 0% increase in performance.

2) To back my words up, I include a link on an in-depth performance testing on iXBT.com, a very respectable Russian hardware portal. I do not think it needs any further introduction to you.

http://www.ixbt.com/cpu/ci7-turbo-ht.shtml

Now the review is initially in Russian, but the tables are all English-based, and include all the info needed to comprehend.

To make things easier, here is the same page translated into English by google:

http://translate.google.com/transla...ci7-turbo-ht.shtml&sl=ru&tl=en&hl=EN&ie=UTF-8

I hope everyone can see these results and judge for themselves. As for you Hilbert, I am very disappointed by your rather rude and categorical response, with unstructured insults. By the way I do not think that being 23 and having one BSc and one MSc title in general economics, business studies at the University of Amsterdam no less makes me a lil bitching kid.

To answer you as well, no I am not implying I am, by no account. I do imply that after reading hardware reviews for many, many years one does get a feeling of whats done properly, and what is not.

In fact, Hilbert does include non-OC and non-OC results of i7 vs 940. On the other hand he does NOT include the results of OC'd i7 vs OC'd 940. The view I take on this is not only CPU wise, but PLATFORM wise (e.g X58 vs 790FX/GX) as well. I hope I am being clear now.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  3. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Nice to see AMD on the up. This new CPU will be serious contender for all the folks that don't want a complete overhaul and all the expense and heart ache that comes with it! Justifying the cost to the Mrs, buyers remorse, the disappointment when thing run just slightly quicker than before.

Good review and nice one AMD.:)

4. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    @ DES MX

Hilberts probably pissed cause that review looked like it had taken a while to do and then gets ridiculed WTF man thats not nice.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Last response: This is a fair and objective written review. The fact that you look at it from another POV doesn't make your opinion right. Quoting one source is a little too limited really.

Anyway, so be it. But now please move on before you get into an arguement with me.

6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Perhaps before implying somebody is essentially dishonest and biased with your snarky remarks, you should make sure your own crap doesn't stink by at the very least, correctly characterizing the article. As for your 'qualifications', anyone can be whatever they want on the internet.

7. Symbiosis

Symbiosis Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    Excellent and in depth review Hilbert, I think AMD have made a great CPU here and it appears to me that some people here just don't understand econmics....We the enthusiast are the mugs that will pay top dollar for the latest/greatest and fastest piece of hardware that does not make any money for these companies,good marketing to be the fastest in the world but no turnover.

Mainstream products make the most turnover and AMD have produced such a product, manufacturers like Dell, HP etc will see an affordable platform to sell to the masses.....Intel could perhaps see their mainstream product sales fall and then adjust the pricing....in others words we all benefit. We should not be like idiotic fanboys and slam AMD but look forward to the benefits of good competition.

8. DES_MX

DES_MX Guest

GPU:
    GTX480 850/4400 1.075v
    @Symbiosis - Great post! 100% second that.

@HeavyHemi - I expressed my opinion, and backed it up by structured arguments. If you don't like my opinion or would like to argue the arguments - fine, but please don't go on with public insults based on NO ARGUMENTS at all.
    You are right however with one thing - anyone can be anything on the internet. Only pretending to be someone you are not does not get you any further in life, neither online, nor in reality. I realize that all too well, not only that, but also the fact that calling someone something they are not, based on no information at all, is just low and weak.

As for the initial post, I do agree that it was with a certain degree of sarcasm on Hilbert's account, moreover I have expressed only the negative points without mentioning the tremendous work he accomplishes. Aplologies for that, truly. I do love the site and Hilbert's articles in particular. This is also the reason I was a bit disappointed not to see certain vital comparisons, however it is still no excuse on my behalf.

9. Moustacha

Moustacha Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770
    So to point out the white elephant in the room, when might we see a comparison of the a64 6000, phenom 1 and phenom 2?

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Hyper threading makes difference if program can utilize it. Most programs can barely utilize two cores anyway. I am 100% sure that x264 CLI will do the work much faster when using +8 threads than only 4 threads.

11. DES_MX

DES_MX Guest

GPU:
    GTX480 850/4400 1.075v
    x264 has an average boost of +21% when utilizing HyperThreading. A very good example indeed.

12. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Banned

GPU:
    Pending...
    $100 core 2 will the beat the ass of this sh.t

13. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    I can't tell if you're trolling or just didn't bother looking at the benchmarks. I guess you missed the part where the AMD platform kicked Core i7's ass at 1600 in BiA and Crysis Warhead, and annihilated it at all resolutions in COD 4.

14. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Both I think! lol

15. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    I like the whole dragon platform stuff, CPU/GPU/Chipset from one manufacturer is pretty cool.

Might very well consider it when the new ATI GPUs are out later this year.

Great review as always.

16. micketh

micketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 8GB
    Great review as always. It's a real tossup for me i7 is far too expensive for me. I think I was to go quad core though due to the fact that I've already got the P5Q motherboard it would have to be the Q9550 on OCuK for £230. Its good to see AMD throwing a spanner in the works again. This reminds me of the Barton core.

17. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    What i think is.

Bang for the buck here is huge. Overall platform cost vs i7 is like 200$ lower at least ( Which is alot ). If we include OC potential, Phenom 2 920 looks like steal for me.

I Think when i got money i might switch...

Also the best part, its easier for me ( see my rig ) to change to AMD than upgrade for i7.
    Just new mobo, while I7 = Mobo/Ram , and DDR3 is quite expensive also it doesnt give huge benefits in games.

In summary , Dragon platform and new phenoms are great!

and did i mention intel will drop i7 prices ? Becasue they look SILLY $/performace now.

18. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    hmmmm

maybe back to AMD where i started in the first place

the i5 or wjatever will be out by the time i switch so i will have to see

but to be able to use my ram and just have to get a decently priced mobo and a good priced cpu is sounding very nice.

19. N00bst3r

N00bst3r Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX570 OC
    You go Hilbert :p . But on tiopic i have to say im impressed with the overall price/perfomance of the new AMD chips and was wondering if you'd be willing to produce a multi GPU article on them similar to the i7. until that article i didn't think the performance for the i7's were that great but seen with SLi/Crossfire turned them into beasts. Oh this is only if you have the time as im sure this type of benching doesn't come quickly. :D

20. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    :flip2::flip::finger:

(just kidding don't ban me)