Power Supply FAQ

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Makalu, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    hmm well yeah either PSU or mobo/CPU related as you say. I'd start with the PSU and hope that's it.

2. luftrofl

luftrofl New Member

GPU:
    2x 5770
    Thanks for responding.

Definitely trying the PSU first, as I was planning an upgrade in that department anyway.

3. sohaib

sohaib Member Guru

GPU:
    built in x300(x2)
    aoa
    okay psu gurus ineed a query solved i need a 347 w wattage and my current psu is at 300w its the one in not to buy list but it has helped me for two years even on 8600gts but what the hell its got to go
    so what do u suggest i go for there is a guy selling uised cm 400watt power supply should i go for it or another seventeam 420watt and also 350 poweremniics one too
    so what should i do
    reall appreciate ur help guys

4. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra

5. sohaib

sohaib Member Guru

GPU:
    built in x300(x2)
    thanks man but its used here are the pics if u could tell me should i buy it looking at the condition the cm one is good but in second hand
    why not cooler master 400w i mentioned plz reply thanks alot buddy
    anywhere in pakistan i know its pain but means alot to me
    heres the pics
    seventeam
    http://images.upload2world.com/get-7-2009-upload2world_com_lfvue.JPG
    http://images.upload2world.com/get-7-2009-upload2world_com_lfvue.JPG
    powrenimcs
    http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/6531/dsc00283x.jpg
    http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/8373/dsc00294eby.jpg
    http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5502/dsc00286fig.jpg

6. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    CM rates those low-end models ~50W higher than the maker, so that'd be a 350W unit and you said you need 347W hehe.

I don't know anything about the PowerNics brand. It appears to be more than just generic junk but I don't know who makes them. Without that info I'd still say get the Seventeam yep. If you like the PowerNics better and it has a not bad reputation in Pakistan then you probably won't do much worse with it then the Seventeam and maybe even better but I just can't say.

7. sohaib

sohaib Member Guru

GPU:
    built in x300(x2)
    i got this psu from ser4ver pc of 450watt byNMB technologies is it good for my demands one thing i know its damn heavy

8. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    I don't know anything about it.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'd like to know how these lists were created. You've got 3 brands on the list of recommendeds that I've seen cause complete system failures in every use of...i.e. Hiper, Seasonic and InWin. You've also got a PSU brand on the list of "Brands to Avoid" that in 14 years of building computers, I've never seen fail....and I've used 2-3 DOZEN of them...i.e. AGI. I've even got 3 systems up and running right now that are using AGI power supplies....2 that are going on 5 years up and running, and 1 that's going on 3 years up and running.

10. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    I have no list of recommended brands...only models. AGI didn't make the list of brands to avoid without some consideration to the okish low-end rebadged FSP's and HEC's they sell...it remains due to lesser models. If you don't like it then make your own list.

11. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    heya Mak, im looking for a solid replacement for my low/mid level builds. i had been using the enhance enp-5150gh for these builds but the only place that carries them now is directron and only sporadically($65+sh). so ive been looking for a solid replacement in the $50 range. these are the two that have caught my eye.
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS420X
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703017
    and
    Antec Basiq BP430 430W
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371023
    which of those do you think i should go with?

P.S keep up the good work this thread is a great resource for the forum!

12. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    hmm well building for someone else to use brings different priorities than building for yourself. I'd probably go with the Silencer...the build quality is better known and tested over time than the Basiq which I don't know much about. I assume it's probably just a rebadged Delta GPS model but maybe not.. The 400W Enhance might be another good choice for that.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=PS-E5140GH

13. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    cool, much appreciated. ive had great luck with enhance so ill probably go with that model vs the silencer.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    And you still failed to tell me how exactly those lists were created....or who they were created by.

15. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    And you still fail to see the obvious nature of the lists...and who made them. Really I think you should make your own list with your own criteria and then maybe you'll figure out how a list is made.

16. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    Upgrading the PSU soon. Was looking at PSUs in the 850-1000W category, and am currently tossing between

-Silverstone OP850
    -Corsair TX850
    -OCZ GameXStream 850

The OP850 and TX850 both have 70A single rails, but the GameXStream has 4 @ 20A.

I suppose what I really want to know is, is this enough power for a year (or two)? I am currently led to beleive that I am on the limit of my 600W, and next gen cards are only gonna be more powerful. What would you consider to be the minimum wattage for the next couple of years, 70A is enough amps for a while yet, right?

Any ideas for other models? Looking for PSUs in the same price range as the ones mentioned (~$AU250)

17. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    Well, if your CPU isn't OCed and gaming is your peak loads then I think you've got about 100-150W of overhead left before you exceed the recommended 75% load on your current PSU. I really don't know what the future holds but you've got some room for upgrading there as it is.

I'd forget about the OCZ850GXS as an option...it's no where in the same league as the other two. It's a group regulated (budget) design and pushing the design limits of the Epsilon platform and rated at 25°C and derates to ~700W at the 50° the other two are rated at and just doesn't perform nearly as well at any temp or load.

18. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    I was going to OC to 3.2GHz (400x8), which is going to require 0.1v bump in both Vcore and VRam, as well as a bunch of fans.

I've also just been looking at the 80Plus list. I looked for manufacturers which had at least one PSU in both the silver and gold categories, there aren't many (and most of the silver and gold ones are in the 250W range). The OP850 isn't there, but the OP850-P (P for Plus) is. A revision model just to make the grading? I'd get that, the specifications are the same, but it's not available in Australia. Anyway, another thing I was looking for ATM is a PSU with at least a Bronze 80 Plus rating.

A good idea, or just a gimmick? Some of these things either turn out to be old or flawed. Is the 80Plus a new thing?

19. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    The 80+ group has been around for a couple or three years but wasn't being used as a big selling point by everyone till recently and yes it is something of a gimmick in my opinion. Not that efficiency isn't important but differences of a few percentage points should really only matter to people who buy a lot of computers like corporations and governments.

Since an average single card system peak load is about 300W then an 80% PSU would consume ~380W and an 85% PSU would consume ~360W...only 20W less during peak use. Then when you consider that most systems aren't operated at peak loads most of the time that they are on the difference is even less...10-15W. So it's not going to make a significant difference in your electric bill.

The 80+ testing procedure is also flawed...tests are done at "ambient office room temp" in Tennessee which is unacceptable for control and their AC wattage metering is only accurate to ±2% which introduces a lot of error into the final calculations. They only test at 25%,50% and 100% load levels and that skips too many data points but also I think the 100% load test is of no practical use for obvious reasons. We don't run PSU's at 100% load for the same reason we don't drive down the road with the tachometer needle pegged in the red. It also is keeping a lot of very good units from "scoring" so well due to the natural parabolic efficiency curve inherent in the switch mode design...efficiency drops as a unit approaches it's maximum output capability.

The other thing that is important to know is the the PSU companies are taking advantage of the loopholes in the 80+ system and playing tricks. Since almost every component in a PSU creates resistance and reduces efficiency they are simply removing components....components that filter ripple and smooth current and other things far far more important than a 20W difference in the electric bill. Another trick is to ground the transformer which probably pushes ripple thru the roof but 80+ doesn't test for ripple and they aren't testing to insure that the samples they get are the same as a retail sample. Other things done are lower the 3.3V and 5V rating on the label and since that's how 80+ decides the load distribution for their tests then that too will "improve" efficiency...the extra conversions make all 3.3V and 5V power less efficient than 12V power coming out of the unit. Some are submitting samples with short cables (lowers resistance...increases efficiency measurement). etc. etc. etc.

So you can tell I'm not big on 80+ as a purchasing decision at all. Pick a quality unit and the efficiency will be good...hey that's the same advice we all gave years ago before 80+ lol

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  20. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    The OP850 is a fine unit btw...made by Impervio or actually Quasar IS at a state of the art factory in Taiwan. Or at least most of them are...demand was so high during the last Christmas season that some were made by hand on a line at the Etasis factory in China. Check out a Zeus 1200 on the line in Taiwan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLNUwcz-Bt4

Expensive procedure and not many Impervio's out there because of it but Silverstone has invested a lot of their own money into the factory so of course they are using it.