Microsoft: Buy Office 365, Not Office 2013. Or You'll Be Sorry

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    lol, even better, dont get either.
    Why waste money in a recession.

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Office 2013 is just too bland and white, it's actually unpleasant to use over a whole work day (eye strain). The other Office applications are the same. Office 2007 was much better with it's blue's etc. Yes it is similar to Office 2010, but at least that had some colour to it (title bar etc).

Word 2007:
    [​IMG]

Word 2010:

[​IMG]

Word 2013: (don't fall to sleep on us, please!)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2013
  4. wubbles

wubbles Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX560Ti 1Ghz
    Word 2016:
    [​IMG]

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I think Microsoft set out to create the fugliest Office ever... and they succeeded!

Maybe they're trying to get back to their roots (Windows Word that is)
    [​IMG]

6. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I would prefer an inverted option, black background white letters. Can you do that now?

7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Don't forget the "free" solution too...

In here since few year the governement left M$ for Open Office then Libre Office.

99% of what M$ Office can do, is done (better) by Libre Office.

8. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Still using Office 2003, and it works fine! ;)

9. styka

styka Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 480 8GB RD
    roflmao

10. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Office 2013 is £8.95 through my work scheme. Worth it considering I will only use £8.95 worth of Office 2013 (Word).

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Will you really be getting your money's worth? I think it would actually reduce productivity in workplaces, since the design increases mental fatigue.

I'm not trying to be (insert appropriate terminology here), I'm quite serious about the potential for reduced productivity, eye strain, and mental fatigue. I highly recommend trying it out for extended periods before purchasing it.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I am a huge supporter of open source software, I hate MS, and think libreoffice is great but, it is a far cry from being better than MS Office. While MS Office is bloated, expensive, and includes many unnecessary features, it does everything you need and it does those things very well. At first I hated the ribbon bar and while I still think its a bit slower to navigate, it is more useful in the long run.

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    This is the darkest colour option:
    [​IMG]

14. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    I like what Adobe did with Photoshop, much easier on the eyes.

[​IMG]

15. ground_zero298

ground_zero298 Master Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    MS is following in the foot steps of adobe. Paid subscription cuts down on the pirated software and increases revenue. Plus no key sharing. Usually if you upgraded a adobe suite it would cost around $500 and was good for a couple years. Now the creative cloud (master suite) cost $50 a month and totals $600 a year to use, $240 for students. It does come with online storage, instant updates, and exclusive PS features for cloud members. I don't see cs7 being offered on disk upon release.

I see this as blow back from unlicensed software usage.

16. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I fail to see why I should get Office 2013 over 2010, I don't see much has changed... Plus, I do most of my work on Google Docs and LibreOffice these days anyways. I only use Office 2010 to format my research papers to make them look professional lol.

Other than that Microsoft Office is not really used for me.

deltatux

17. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    2013 is a literal headache for me to look at it past 3 seconds. My eyes are somewhat more sensitive than average, but I can't help but think that it would be very unpopular in most office settings.

I still use 2007 and probably will for many more years to come.

18. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    I dont know if you guys read on it but apperantly Microsoft is doing on purpose a ONE Time only install for the Standalone version (not yearly subscription) and if by any chance your Windows fails or becomes unusable you have to buy a new version for the full price. So they are doing the Yearly subscription on purpose like they are with Xbox.
    Personally im still on 2007 and i wont be upgrading at all.

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Still on Office 2003 here.
    Am using Word, Outlook, Excel and Access regularly, they have all the features needed.

I realise that they made such a good product that I dont need to upgrade, but its often nice to have the latest kit.
    But I hate Microsofts way of trying to force themselves a market - with many products, so much so that it made me not upgrade to Windows 8, despite being a PC enthusiast.
    Am rapidly going off them, its about time they started taking notice of what the customer wants again instead of excluding it to push their own agenda.
    Try more innovation/products, not wrecking what we want to upgrade to.

Theres nothing wrong with doing your own thing, but at least let us have want we want as well.

If Linux gaming takes off such that they also get most major releases (After Steams new availability), I'll be looking for the greener grass.
    And with that, my recommendations will change as my support capabilities change.
    They will have earned this.

/end rant
    grrr cos I want to like MS, yet they are making it impossible!

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I'm not bothering to "upgrade" to Office 2013. My university uses 2010 anyway, so if there are any more subtle changes to decrease productivity (as is the pattern with MS, especially with their Win 8 series of trash) it would really throw me off since we're taught Excel 2010 specifically. Yes they teach Excel as part of university course, lololol.