Bose Companion 5....

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Slam, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    yup, built in DAC most likely.

and its not silly. i spent $450 for a panasonic home theater in a box kit for my PC and console gaming setup (i have a 37inch panasonic IPS panel TV hooked up to my PC and i sit 1.5m away from it). then 6 months later, i spent $500 on a pioneer vsx 920 receiver, $300 on a pair of wharfdale at200se speakers for my fronts, $300 on a dali concept center speaker and $100 for a second hand dali 10inch concept sub, and using some of the panasonic speakers as side and rear speakers for a 7.1 setup.

overall, it makes for quite an immersive experience for gaming! and it also makes you **** yourself in horror movies/games XD

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Guest

GPU:
    I've spent more on stereo headphones.

It's not silly if you can afford it, and you know exactly why you're paying what you're paying. If it really is worth the money to you.

3. analogic

analogic Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6870 975/1200
    Yes, absolutely!
    Klipsch ProMedia 2.1/4.1/5.1 really are close to hifi for "multimedia" speakers. Especially with a good source like Titanium HD.

4. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    You're so full of sh*t, your eyes are brown.

You may, or may not like Bose...or maybe you just can't afford it. But that doesn't mean they don't have any substance to people who like the sound quality they produce. And they wouldn't be so big in the first place, if they didn't have quality product. They are one of the the biggest names in sound, and they didn't get there by making "no substance" product...knucklehead. Think about it.

:stewpid:

5. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    lolumad bro? They are "one of the biggest names in sound" due to marketing and advertising. Their products are second rate, overpriced, cheap quality materials and construction. It has been analyzed and dissected thoroughly. Only a fool would pay $349 MSRP for 2.1 "computer speakers" with one-way drivers. And please, no more ad hominem attacks. Trying to compare salary and education level with me, you will get slammed.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  6. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Technically what Bose does is color the sound ,but is quite inaccurate. Its well known about their inability to pass the standard THX tests. Just simply visit any audiophile forum such as AVS and they'll explain far better why they never use them than I can.
    They spend a ton of money on marketing, you can sell anything with good marketing. It only costs $135 in parts to build the Acoustimass 10 series that they charge a grand for example.

this link will provide some better insights
    http://www.firstadopter.com/fa/archives/001749.html

Klipsche got bought bout by Audiovox, they use much cheaper parts now. Their nothing like they used to be. But when you get into the small speaker world, the main differences is how they color the sound. just use an Oscilloscope

Price has nothing to do with anything. Although that in itself is often a marketing gimmick. The mentality that higher price must mean its better quality is used for those who are not knowledgable about the product...this is used in everything from Kraft macaroni n cheese to roofing materials. Even lay's potato chips have alternative brands far cheaper that are just as good...think about it "knucklehead"

7. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Didn't mean to offend your girlfriend. My apologies.

8. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Ah, the "superiority" complex. You must be a very insecure man, swingin' his e-peen around. Only those types would come into a thread that "had" some good discussion going on, and bash someone for buying a product that they enjoy.

News flash. You have to have some quality product to back up what you're selling at a premium price. If all they sold was sh*t product, do you REALLY think that millions of people would continue to buy their product at a premium price? No, they wouldnt. Most people are smart enough to know whether something sounds good to "them", or not. It's personal preference.

A product is worth whatever the customer is willing to pay for it. I listened to a lot of different speaker systems that were setup for demo, and I liked the tone and bass response of the Bose system. I preferred it, I wanted it, I bought it. If I'm a "chump" for buying something that I really enjoy...then I'll wear that label with pride. But I have to ask, who the hell are you to assign that label to people?

And judging by your specs, you definitely don't spend your superior salary on pc parts. And your response to that would be something along the lines of..."I'm happy with what I've got. It does everything I want it to do." My response would be..."So does my Bose system."

Fair enough?

9. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    ohh come on guys bose are great speakers :nerd:

10. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Oh the sarcasm. LOL! :)

But that would be a correct statement. They are great speakers. I just kicked up some Rush - YYZ on 'em. They sound f'n amazing. And the great thing about these speakers, is that you can crank them full volume, with no distortion. Great tone, and very clean precise bass response. Everything I would expect from speakers at this price point.

11. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    Now he's trying to insult people's spouses. Sounds like you're the one who's insecure here Slam, otherwise you wouldn't be getting so upset.

And yes, your listed specs are better than my listed specs. Now you're trying to draw some conclusion out of it. That's funny cause you're the one who accuses me of "swingin' e-peen around". You're just a hypocrite. Regardless, whatever computer specs I choose to show makes no difference in this discussion at all. Maybe I'm too lazy or forgot to update my specs. Maybe I just don't care what people see in the boxes under my name. Either way, I own and operate three rigs with wildy different setups. I just got my XSPC RX480 Radiator and Rasa CPU block in the mail yesterday along with some compression fittings for my 2600K setup. I probably spent more on water cooling in one computer than you have on your Bose speakers pal.

As for the rest of your argument, I'm not about to waste my time getting into this circular discussion again. It was already beaten to death in another thread before moderators had to step in. People are sheep man. They buy into the advertising, unbox their shiny new speakers and think it's the best thing since sliced bread. And they will say or do anything to justify their purchase, even in the face of facts or sheer logic. Go to any serious A/V forum, talk to any serious A/V enthusiast. They will tell you Bose is crap to your face. Retail markup is how they fund their advertising.

12. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    I think you missed the point...I was calling you his girlfriend. He ran to your defense very quickly. Had nothing to do with anyone's spouse. You're a little slow on the uptake.

The point you have to remember, is that you started all this. You could have come into the thread, and had a civilized discussion about how you don't really dig Bose systems, and that there is better on the market. A few people in the thread did just that. But instead, you chose to call anyone (in this case, me) who buys Bose, an idiot (or chump as you put it). Therefore, you got what was coming to you. If you want to dish it out, you better damn sure be able to take it.

I agree, in that there's no sense in arguing about it. You are entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong. You can't argue personal preference. It's a no win position for you. Are you trying to tell me what sounds good to me, and what doesn't? You making that decision for me? Honestly? I could sit down in front of your rig, and listen to your sound system...and say you're a chump for buying it. But I wouldn't do that, because it sounds good to you. And hell, I would even be open minded enough to see if it actually sounded good!

I sometimes think people like you try sooooooooo hard to be different. You put yourself above everyone else, by making it your mission in life not to ride the "Bose" bandwagon for sound, or the "Nike" tennis shoe for running...or whatever the most popular brand is on the market. You just end up looking like a fool.

I'm pretty sure that if you sat down in front of my rig, and cranked up a good quality mp3 of your favorite tunes, you would change your view on it. You may not love it, but I have a feeling you would acknowledge some quality in the sound.

13. DirkHardpeck

DirkHardpeck Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    I am of the opinion that Bose blows, and hard, based on alot of first-hand experience. Including sales of the stuff and the tactics the companies use to get you, the retailer, to justify selling the stuff. I also know the base cost, and boy is that disheartening.

Still, no reason to sh*t all over someone who is happy with them, which only makes them go on the defensive. Then you end up with this thread of snobby self-importance, e-peen masturbation, e-peen flicking, name calling, and probably the worst part of it all, we drag RUSH into this.

Rush, man. They would sound good coming out of a dead magnetized cat's arsehole, also, this thread has gotten way too f*cktarded to allow a google search of the band to return this juvenile buttf*ckery.

Decent speakers with a decent source will sound decent. Decent is totally...decent. An overpriced Bose system still spanks the tits off what most people use.

14. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    The point most people are missing here is that as far as computer speaker setups go these Bose are probably pretty good. Sure, anybody with a decent knowledge of audio can tell you that you can get better sound out of a nice amp and some hifi speakers however that is really comparing apples and oranges. I mean, I spent years researching and months listening to gear before putting my own system together and I spent many thousands of dollars on it, and yes, it will completely spank the pants off any set of 2.1 computer speakers but we aren't even talking about the same ballpark here.

If OP enjoys his speakers then that is all that really matters. (although there is no need to get so defensive about it tbh)

15. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    Oh my bad. You're insinuating that if two people share an opinion, they must be lovers. That's even more mature. Give me a break and grow up.

And please don't come in here trying to leave a guilt trip on people. It takes two to tango buddy. Your asinine comments are what's catapulting this thread into the realm of stupidity.

And I don't just have an opinion. As F1refly has linked, their are facts (based on examination and comparison) that Bose is ripping people off. Factual data. Proof. So yes, people buying Bose are chumps. Poor saps. Are getting conned. When I used the word "chump", I didn't mean it in a spiteful, mean spirited sort of way that you're making it out to be. And I never used the word "idiot" either so please stop putting words in my mouth.

Finally, the fact that you used the term "good quality mp3" proves that you know and care little about sound quality or mechanics. I'm not sure if I should even go any further with this. FYI, I listen to lossless media only (.flacs and .wavs) on my Benchmark Media DAC1 HDR and Sennheiser HD650's. MP3's are crap just like Bose.

Slam, just stop posting before you make yourself look like more of an idiot (yes, I used the actual word this time).

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

16. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    You know how much disk space I would have to have, if every song I had was in wav format? Come on...

Man...it's really hard these days to find decent people to talk to. This thread started out pretty good, then went to the sh*tter.

Thanks to S†v0r, RagDoll_Effect, Xtreme1979, ASLayerAODsk, DirkHardpeck, sovietdoc, Sever, and analogic for your rational, and well put point of view on the subject.

Looks like I found the "elitist" corner of guru. So many Bose haters. Hard for some people not to hate the top dog, I guess.

Word

17. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    ... no sarcasm i enjoy bose speakers. well not really but i love reading yall fighting with each other over them :wanker:

18. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    awesome

19. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750

after looking at this can u really say bose speakers are top dog.

mic that took this is calibrated. the mic costs more then your speakers for the record.

[​IMG]

20. DirkHardpeck

DirkHardpeck Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    ORLY? Did you check the link?

My roommate a few years back had Bose 301's. He thought they rocked. I picked up some Wharfedale Valdus 400's for about $200 less for a pair that simply made him want to cry.

FACT. HE WANTED TO CRY.

I am really ****ing sick of telling customers that the Bose speakers are really cheap cardboard and foam pieces of ****...

FACT. THEY ARE MADE OF DIGESTED FOAM-IMPREGNATED FECES.

they display a “harsh high end,” and although the subwoofer adds nice bass, “it makes the guitar sound thin.”

FACT. OBTUSE COMMENTS WITH QUOTATION MARkakanssss blah blah blah you get the idea....

Don't get me wrong. I agree with all of the above...OPINIONS.

320 kbps mp3's are used by alot of people who do, in fact, care about sound quality.

[​IMG]

C'mon man, we're just acting like jerks now.