Installing OS on RAM disk?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by BLEH!, Sep 12, 2013.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Why do you think that?

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Why do I think what?

**They aren't paged to disk if that's what you mean.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    **** ****ing ass I just wrote a huge ****ing post to you then hit one button on my ****ing kb and AND LOST IT ALL due to this stupid logout time. **** **** ****. pos Mother ****.

I'll pm u

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  4. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    OK ! It seem I skipped some detail ,usually paging file means ; window usually page the least usefull file to : ramdisk , hard drive ,pcie drive ! If windows recon it has a hard drive it will use it as paging file .

So if you disable pf , window will keep file in ram .I went from 1.1 gb to 1.2 gb so don't sweat it , it isn't the thing that will ruin your amount of ram . where I ain't sure is when MSI is set to 1 per CPU core (default is one per CPU socket) since MSI use ram . maybe it get affected .
    Lastly disabling paging executive in regedit is just in case some odd ball program manage to use page file .it would probably crash system or create an issue . and as we know window doesn't like issue !

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013

5. dafuq53

dafuq53 Guest

GPU:
    hd5850
    delete your comment pls hdd 5000rpm ssd 7000 ramdisk over 60 k ssd will not reach this speed in the next 10 years

6. dafuq53

dafuq53 Guest

GPU:
    hd5850
    only a ssd owner could say something like that maybe a person like you doesn't care about the science behind it but i don't care the ssd will not reach the performance of ramdisk in the next 10 years the difference between hdd to ssd is tiny compared to the difference to ramdisk in 4 years ssd maybe read 10 k but still ramdisk over 60k ram is very cheap you can get 64gb ram cheap and they get cheaper year to year a ssd is biggest waste of money you will waste your money on a tiny space with tiny performance hit it is no worth it and not big enough to get even 4 games on the only point would be to install the os on it and that you can do on ramdisk with just infinite more speed

7. dafuq53

dafuq53 Guest

GPU:
    hd5850
    ruin ram? you can get 64 gb cheap and programms not even heavy games use more then 4 or 6 maybe

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Wtf are u high? SSD's don't have 7000 RPM idiot, they are solid state and have no moving parts.

I'd love to visit this Fantasyland where 64GB of RAM is cheaper than a 64GB SSD.

derp derp....:stewpid:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    That's it? Nothing about ramdisk being over 60k rpm?

10. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    you have other bottleneck rofl ! like pcie,ram the web etc !say you manage to get your hands on google fiber !the max you ll go is what ?125 megabyte per second.
    so there you have it ! all that effort was just screwed by the web this is why remote differential compression and Microsoft donnybrook have a huge say in here because everythime you can have the data on your disk and only have pointer from the web saying :do this do that etc to a local program you gain a lot of speed .why do you think ms when to the huge trouble of putting a 32 mb sram cache on a processor in a ddr4 configuration that nobody on the planet has or will have for a fair while (I suspect the first ddr4 sram we ll see on computer will be intel .but then amd might come to an accord with ms and actually copy and paste ms idea but with a top of the line graphic card !(anyway the sram is not existing anyware but on the xbox one .I checked !there is nobody making sram in this configuration but ms(for its xbox one)so don't sweat it the hard drive speed isn't you main concern!it is used only for loading