Valve said to be working on 'Steam Box' gaming console with partners

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by BetA, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    lol CronoGraal.

Seriously though, upgradable consoles are something that i hear people mention alot, and its a stupid idea, that would idea that would fail horribly as it destroys the whole plug and play ideals that a console brings.

As for this, reading the article it kinda sounds like a joke to me.
    Valve also don't cater to the graphics whores so if it was true, anyone thinking it would be some sort of super console are way off.

2. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Hehe. It's a PC with dedicated gamepad. Surely, it will also have windows on it.

3. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Yeah, it would be hard to compete with a console UI, where you grab the gamepad and press the home button and the console turns on and can be controlled entirely with the gamepad.

So I would hope they would include a specialized UI to navigate Steam and also needs some way to open and close between other things like Media Center...otherwise this just seems like a typical HTPC. All it seems their doing is creating a hardware standard, that alone isn't going to win over console fans...but of course their not competing with consoles either which is a shame imo.

4. Dmented

Dmented Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080 ROG Strix
    More info on it, from 4chan but looks pretty legit:

[​IMG]

5. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    [​IMG]

6. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    This eplains the delay for Half-Life 3. They are using their time to make a $hitty console...

7. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Yeah! Just what i was waiting for! Something to turn my PC into a console! Oh wait...

If i didnt bought a console is because I DONT WANT ONE. Hell, it seems that if i want to use a damn PC i'll be using some linux distro for browsing for the rest of my life, unless of course Unity and Gnome 3 become massively popular and turn linux into an iPad wannabe. Then the only choice would be give up on computers altogether...

8. Kaune

Kaune Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Palit 1080
    Don't know how I should feel about this one, maybe a bit betrayed. The last custodian of pc gaming that made classic games that I grew up with and now they go and make a console of their own. I am willing to keep an open mind, but I fail to see this end well. This will either make or break pc gaming, if the latter happens Gabe Newell will be my most hated person of all time.

Regarding Half-Life 3, HL 1 & 2 was epic and oozed quality, for Gabe/Valve to be stretching out the release of HL3 by this constant irritating shifted focus to other side projects makes me think they are a sadistic bunch that don't want to get their priorities straight or maybe someone lost their leadership skills between all those wads of cash.

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I'm pretty happy about this, I hoped this was coming when fatty said that "If we have to sell hardware we will".

The 720 is going to use a 6670 FFS (and there are rumours flying that the PS4 might use Llano...), I hope this Steambox blows that out of the water... which wouldn't take much effort to do.

10. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    I've thought it over, and it sounds kind of redundant.
    People could just get a PC, attach a 360 controller to it, and connect it to a TV with hdmi.
    Only thing that sounds good about this, is the size, and that it might bridge the gap between PC and Console gamers a bit more.

11. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Yeah this, I've said for a long time this should be done, what I think Valve is working on is making the whole thing streamlined. I'm not impressed with specs of the system in terms of CPU power, I think creating a Steam Box with a cheaper (but still good) i5 or similar processor with mid-range graphics (cost between $200-300) would reach a larger audience and simply update the Steambox around GPU release schedules so that every generation they put in a new $200-300 level GPU and similar CPU.

When you work on such a cadence, then you have the ability to force CPU/GPU manufactures trying to get as much performance in the $200-300 category in effort to get their GPU in the Steambox (which translates to more sales). In the end it would spur competitiveness within the industry, push sales, and overall positively affect all PC gamer consumers.

12. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    The only thing we can hope for Steambox is first, a new name, second that developers will use this standard like they do with consoles and focus to get more out of it...which will likely lead to the rest of us having more bugs or compatability issues, but whatever.
    I still think the UI will be a problem however

13. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    That's exactly what i'm on now, i have my PC in another room and using a small drilled hole in the bottom corner of the wall i have the HDMI/Audio cables routed to the TV (all covered so they can't be seen). I then have another small hole drilled close undermy shelf unit and have the usb extenders mounted to the very bottom shelf so the inputs can't be seen, i then simply have the 360 pad, K/B plugged into them.

I have it like this for total silence (you can't hear the PC at all).

14. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    I like the hum of fans myself except when the X3650 8 Core server goes into 100% Fan Speed lol watch out sounds like an airplane

15. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce