AMD Radeon HD 7890 "Tahiti LE" launches November 27

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Earlier on we talked about a Tahiti 7900 GPU being used for an upcoming 7800 series card. It seems that this, lets call it Tahiti LE with product name Radeon HD 7890, it seems it will be launching on...

AMD Radeon HD 7890 "Tahiti LE" launches November 27

2. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Give us the 8970, already!

3. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    what is the point? unless they majorly cut down prices of 7850/70..otherwise where is it gonna be price wise? between 7870 and 7950?

4. micketh

micketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 8GB
    I'm very interested in this, I don't feel the 7870 is enough of a jump for me to consider the upgrade to be honest, however the 7950 would be ideal but slightly out of my price range at the moment.

5. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Yeah, waiting for Sea Islands here, hopefully they'll arrive in a couple of months :) Then it'll be Pirate Islands for me ;)

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Am I blind or is there nothing showing the cards specs ?

7. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Im not sure, saying +50% performance over the 6870 ( let say your 5850 is close of a 6870 ) ... was not an upgrade. ofc it will be higher with a simple 7950-70.. but well, now at your place, i will wait for the HD8000 anyway if you are not in the need of change.

( rating made before the release of the 12.11 beta )
    [​IMG]

8. micketh

micketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 8GB
    I agree that there is a decent jump in performance, although I don't like to upgrade until the increase is closer to 100%, I feel that the best part of £200 isn't worth 50-60%... I'm still gaming happily on my system. I think the CPU is much more of a required upgrade. For which I'm currently eying a nice Ivy bridge setup, post Christmas of course.

Btw what game is that?

9. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    how many in between this and that versions are they gonna try and push before they sell the company...if they do sell

10. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    If it brings AMD some more monies, good for them.

11. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    Why will you they sold anything ? lol ... The GPU department and the CPU one have only some small interaction. Im sorry i dont see the link between a new HD7800 for empty the stock of Thaiti core ( something similar of what have done nvidia with the 460 448cc and 560 by the past ) before launch a new series and AMD cpu departement.

A little graph history for the fun..

http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php...cles/1143-vlask-proudly-presents-history-tree

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  12. phenomkid7

phenomkid7 Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radegon HD 6850
    There will be no "new" 8970. It will be an updated 7970 with a new video bios and higher clocks.

5xxx series was a new arch, 6xxx was the same crap respun
    Same thing for 8xxx, respun 7xxx. Go google it.

So 8970 won't really be that much better.

13. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I'll probably wait for the 8000 series or even skip that as well and go for the 9000 series because I see no need to upgrade from my Radeon HD 6870 as it serves my purposes quite well right now.

deltatux

14. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I am aware that the 8 series will be based on GCN.

A numbering change usually entails more than a simple clock increase and updated bios. Generally, there are changes to the shader processor count. In some cases the ROPs, Vertex units and even memory bus width can also be modified. This can be verified when looking at the same examples mentioned in your post.

There also are usually small modifications to the architecture that can lead to improved efficiency; this is what generally allows for the higher clocks without a significant increase in TDP. In addition, memory data compression techniques are also updated for improved bandwidth efficiency.

In any case, even if it was just a simple increase in clocks and an updated bios, and assuming an overall improvement, I'd prefer buying the newer card seeing that the current series has now been around for nearly a year.

I just hope they get the new series out soon as I really want to upgrade within the next couple of months.

Edit:

I should have stated Texture Mapping Units (TMUs) rather than vertex units, however, in the change between the 5870 and the 6970 the actual vertex processing capabilities were also improved.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2012
  15. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    What are you talking about, the refresh is allways based on the last architecture.. but even the HD6900 was a lot different of Cypress..

Cypress was VLIW5 architecture when the NI/6000 was an VLIW4 architecture with doubled front end etc, initially the HD6000 should have been made on 32nm process, finally due to TSMC the HD6900 have come in 40nm ... Initially the HD6000 should have come with a lot more of SP, and was something between GCN and Cypress..

ofc the HD8000 will be made of GCN2, a refreshed and revisited version of GCN. Is the difference will be big ? huum, all depend what have been planned 3 years ago for this GCN2 architecture... a bit more SP, bigger cache, faster ROP or number increased, time will tell.. Many thing have not been included on GCN1, then you learn of how the architecture is working ( even code wise ), so you have allways a lot of tweaking available, including on the process ( transistor size, leak etc )

GCN2 will still stay on same 28nm process, so ofc, there's not so much to expect in term of gain by the process change. But there's a lot of tweaking possible on other parts.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012

16. Boomstick777

Boomstick777 Guest

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB
    Are you forgetting that more shaders will be added and the arch will be tweaked for better performance? It won't be the 'same crap' as you eloquently put it :p.

The 8XXX series will still be a nice upgrade over the 7XXX series even if it only brings 10% - 15% better performance, it'll do it at similar price points. These new cards will most likely launch at cheaper prices than 7XXX series did due to 28nm being more mature, (Cheaper manufacture costs).

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    He's a banned AntiAMD troll, enough said. :grin:

this:thumbup:

18. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    To me it looks like they're spending money creating a new card for a niche market that nobody will know about. Informed people like those on tech related forums understand this is just another revision of a revision of the 7xxx card and is nothing special, thus few will by it. And the uninformed masses who are easily fooled by marketing will typically not even know of this cards existence since it will not get enough news media coverage since it's not the 8xxx series.

Micro-targeting with a product such as this will cost AMD more than they'll make. I'll bet the same managers who came up with this brilliant idea are the same who dreamed up the 7980 extreme edition or whatever they call it.

The upcoming release of a 7890LE gives me the impression that AMD won't be releasing any 8xxx series cards for at least 6 more months. I say this because AMD has never released a video card during the 6 month period prior to a new product line.

And when you factor in them not being able to build a 7990 card this time around when they did so for almost every other previous generation... things are not looking good for any 8xxx cards in the near future.

19. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

These are the people who generally buy based on cost, given the quantitative nature of such purchases and assuming the card is priced correctly, I do not see why it can not sell as expected.

I am also not sure why you reached that conclusion, it seems to me the idea behind this launch is to clear out stock levels or reduce numbers for units that don't quite make the cut for higher end parts. These are also not being launched as AMD backed reference cards, so I do not believe they provide any insight as to what AMD may have in plan for the next series of cards.

20. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    by any chance, will it be on GCN 2 architecture?