I know Sandy Bridge is better but I want fun!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by HamsterCrispy, Apr 25, 2012.

1. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I would wait a bit and get:
    A A10-5800K, and a HD7670. Together they should give a decent framerate! If this is the case though, definitely choose a faster memory, say DDR3-1866.

The above would probably be the best budget combination for gaming.

Despite it actually showing decent results, don't look too much into the thread AMD A10-4600M performance details. That is actually a mobile chip which is clocked lower etc. The A10-5800K should perform noticeably better than it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2012
  2. Crash

Crash Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 560 OC 1024 MB
    get a 1600 mhz d3 memory at least,the best fx processor for gaming is FX4100 3.6 Ghz,other than that lose because of lower clock, after 4 cores,the performance doesnt kick in either

3. HamsterCrispy

HamsterCrispy Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 Ti SSC
    Well if this plan backfires then I might as well get that one. But the board only supports DDR2 on the RAM though..

Perhaps the A10 might be too expensive?

Ture? Okay maybe I'd just get the FX4100 then, its like almost half the price of the FX8150..

Actually my point of this thread is to ask advice for an awesome AMD build, not an awesome Intel build, not the best performing build and certainly not the most awesome, top of the line build.
    Please my posts may look like I'm trolling, but I'm not.
    I'm trying to make a Bulldozer build, I don't care how bad the build is, as long as its better than his current build SHEESH!

You dont have to post that, If you have no input then please leave this thread alone. You don't have to make it sound like you are too awesome to give advices to crap builds like this. Thanks for the good luck :)

Thanks to all the people who posted suggestions!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The A10-5800K is basically a Piledriver version of the FX4100 (so already better) with on chip HD7660D GPU. It should be quite reasonable by itself for gaming, but can be combined with a HD7670 for even higher bandwidth. Combined it should be quite decent at a decent price. I doubt the A10-5800K will be too costly, but there is always the slightly lower clocked A10-5700 (which is also no multiplier unlocked). There are even the A8 variants... I just suggest these because they will almost certainly smash the FX4100 for gaming, particularly when combined with a HD7670 video card. Its about getting the best value performance at a decent price :) Sure, it won't beat an uber-clocked i5-2700K with a GTX 680/HD7970 video card, but it sure beats them on price!

5. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    ROFLMAO, best post of this thread :D

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Hah! Wait... actually, not sure if serious. 560W Seasonic X too low? Sorry, but it's much closer to overkill than too low.

Just FYI, my old 550W BeQuiet (which is no where near as good PSU as that Seasonic) ran my system (same as bellow but with 2600K @ 4.3 GHz, overclocked GTX 570 and different mobo) without any issues - obviously. Even if he overclocked the CPU, I don't see PSU as limiting factor.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  7. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Don't forget though that the 8150 uses 50% more power than a 2600K at stock clocks, and when you overclock it it'll scale the power requirement up my a bigger amount than a 2600K, it's probably the least power efficient consumer CPU ever created!

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You're talking about running a processor that's actually efficient, vs a processor that's power consumption is stupidly high to begin with....and can nearly triple when overclocked... These CPU's can pull upwards of 300watts on their own when overclocked.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    BD the only cpu where you might have to get a couple hundred extra watts on the psu to oc. lol

10. bonob

bonob Master Guru

GPU:
    radeon hd 6970 2 go
    why 90% of the reply in this thread are made by intel users who try to influencing the op while it's clear that intel rig is not an option. After that BD owner are called troll just because they say they are happy with their rig. You guys surely have the bigger one (processor), but in real world of gaming you don't need a cpu with more than 4 core and clocked around 3.5 - 4.0 ghz, until you start using more than one gpu or play at very high res. In the benchmark world intel cpu are the best but in the gaming world a good gpu make the difference and a balance system is the key even a phenom 2 a thuban or a BD CPU can pull out very high fps with the right gpu. Hamstercrispy if you take the fx 8150 it's clear that it will destroy your i5 because the fx 8150 is on par with the i5 2500 and with the recent price drop of it at sub 200 euro the fx start to be a very good chip.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    The 8150 is on par with a 2500k for a gaming rig? No way.
    I don't see any bd owners in this thread alone nevermind getting trolled in this thread. . 8150 at the same price as the 2500. The 2500k is the best price performance CPU out there.

12. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I'm pretty sure Pentium 4 takes that crown. I don't see why Bulldozer's power requirement is that out of the ordinary, Bloomfield easily matched it in this regard as did early K10. It's just more obvious because you can get the processor to clock much higher due to the fabrication process.

13. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -

The 8150 is on par with a 2500K in a good case scenario, but the 2500K costs much less, is more power efficient, and gives way more performance when overclocked. So why would you choose an 8150 over it? Sorry, but that's just the harsh reality of the situation.

But if getting an AMD CPU is important and if you're just going to use the PC for gaming then I agree, why even bother with an 8 core CPU? Just get an FX-4100, it will be more power efficient, overclock higher, and costs half as much meaning you can afford to get a way better GPU.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Actually, if you look at the electrical specs, Bulldozer can draw more power than any other consumer processor... Of course, it's next to impossible to draw the full possible wattage from the socket (1700watts would ignite the processor)....but when overclocked they can easily overdraw any other consumer processor.

FX-4100 and FX-6100 are pretty respectible though in regards to power draw when compared to FX-8150.

15. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    I hope AMD employees are looking at this thread.

16. john19055

john19055 New Member

GPU:
    ASUS DCU-II GTX-670SLI
    I have never been a AMD or Intel or Nvidia or ATI Fanboy.I just buy what is the best bang for the buck.But IMO the FX-8150 was just dissapointing.It has 8 cores and it uses more power and in over 90% of reviews shows that a i5-2500 is the best deal.I give AND credit they are trying new things and maybe with a new stepping things will get better.Just look at thiers GPU's for a long time it look like they would never catch up to nvidia but now they are on par granted they go back and forth now,but the HD7970 and HD7950 are great GPUs.I remember when Intel came out with there Pentium 4 and I went stright to a Athlon XP CPU because it was the best gameing chip for the bulk.I went with a Sandy-bridge-E i7-3820 simply because I was running a TRI-SLI set-up and love it .Overclocks to 5.3gigs at 1.425v but runs in the mid 80c in prim95 with a 212 EVO cooler and a push-pull fan set-up.I keep it at 4.3gigs at default voltage 1.23v,and it idles at 23c to 26c and running prime95 the highest core was 51c.I thinking of getting a water cooler so I can play with it more and run it at 5gigs for the heck of it because it is plenty fast at 4.3gigs.IMO if I was just wanting a gameing CPU I would go with the Ivory-brifge i5-3570K ,but a i5-2500K may be more overclock friendly.But the FX-8150 is plenty fast enough to play any game ,just up to you with what you want to buy.

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Ivory Brifge, must be a new CPU.

18. Mileunder

Mileunder Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5770 1GB x2
    Dont mind the trolls

If you want to get a 8150 go ahead. I suggest the 8120 though, just oc it to the clocks of the 8150, there virtually the same. And everyone here saying that the 8150 is a terrible processor is lying. When you compare it to Intels i5 2500k then no, its not as good. But when you compare it to a athlon, or a first gen i3 then its leaps and bounds better. The 8150 is perfectly fine for gaming. And before anyone says "Your on AMD`s pay roll" , im not. Ive had my fair share of intel products and loved them. I just love rooting for the underdog

And anyone who says the 8120 cant play games is a troll. I have a old phenom II x4 925 at stock clocks and i can play games at max settings at 1080p. So the 8150 will easily do the same .
    What ever you choose, good luck : D