PC won't boot - momentary power, then nothing

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by error404ts, Mar 13, 2010.

1. error404ts

error404ts New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD56xx
    I accidentally hit the sleep button on my keyboard so I waited for it to finish sleeping. Hit the power button and there was a flash of life for a moment then nothing. No fans, no hard drive, no lights, beeps, etc.

Unplugged RAM, unplugged and alternated power supply cables (there are two for some reason), removed video card, and nothing happens except for that same brief flash from the fan lights. I need to unplug something in order to get that flash because after it does it once it doesn't do it again until I do one of the things that I stated above.

I'm ready to replace the motherboard and/or power supply but I wanted to get some input from people here.

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    If you really want an intelligent answer it would help to know your specs...

Try clear CMOS first - if that doesn't work then my guess is a dead PSU.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  3. error404ts

error404ts New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD56xx
    The system was built by someone else, but this is what I can give:
    foxconn A7VMX-K motherboard
    AM2+ processor
    ATI HD56XX video card
    550w total power supply
    4gb ram
    3 hard drives - 2 1tb and one 250gb

I took out a battery from the motherboard and have left it out overnight. Removing it and replacing it right away did nothing. Will try it again in the morning and then go look at a new power supply.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What do you mean there are "two"?

5. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Check the outlet the computer is plugged into as well.

6. heliman41

heliman41 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 260OC -640/1300/1100
    Does that M/B also have a jumper pin to clear cmos? If so you will need to move the pin after the batt is out then move it back. If it doesen't then maybe a small reset button on the M/B etc........

7. error404ts

error404ts New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD56xx
    Removed the jumper and put it back with the same results - brief surge of life then nothing.

And by "two" I mean that within the braided cable connecting the PSU to the MB there are two identical connectors. My MB can accomodate only one of them.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  8. error404ts

error404ts New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD56xx
    Installed a new Thermaltake TR2 600W PSU and got everything hooked up. The machine starts up fine in Safe Mode and I am able to operate it normally. However while starting in Normal Windows mode the system locks up while loading a profile. The system freezes, mouse and keyboard go dead, and it requires shutting the PSU off and forcing a reboot.

Occasionally the desktop background pic only loads halfway and not all icons show. Rebooting in Safe Mode resolve this but that's about it.

9. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Did you check the outlet? Just a week ago I had very similar symptoms on a machine I was actively troubleshooting for a different issue at the time. Outlet died right in the middle of troubleshooting...That'll make your job hard.

10. NewMachineIII

NewMachineIII Guest

GPU:
    PNY Nv GF GTX 1070
    You will not believe this, but...what if possible, you screwed too tight the MB to the back of the case. I say that cause...I am in process of loading up my new PC now. But before that there were several times, that I will click the power on, and everythign flicker for a second and shut off. I remove the screws and the MB is held in place by the VGC. Everything is running now.

11. xKrNMBoYx

xKrNMBoYx Member Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 4850 512MB
    ah..i have that motherboard. I had that same problem almost. I left it on so long it hibernated. And one time i pressed the sleep button instead of esc.

What worked for me was you know the blue(maybe leds plug) or whatever that is connected so that the computer turns on when you press the button?

Try unplugging that, then plugging it back in.

If that doesnt work I have no clue what will unless I can think of something

12. error404ts

error404ts New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD56xx
    Well, the thing is that I have it up and running in Safe Mode. But that's the only mode that will work properly. It's on Safe Mode with Networking (as I type this) and it's running smoothly. However, as soon as I try to boot it up normally it will lock up after I choose a profile or right after I get in to my desktop. When I try to start up from the Windows 7 DVD it will load the drivers and go to the standard blue screen with the cursor and spinning blue icon. It stays there for less than a minute or so then locks up - first indicator is keyboard and mouse lights going out, same as when I try to log in to a profile without the DVD.

I don't know what is loading that is causing the freeze, but I can't even load teh Windows 7 DVD without it freezing up on me so I can't even restore the system.

13. error404ts

error404ts New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD56xx
    Since the mouse and keyboard end up getting killed and that's when the system freezes, is it possible that there's something wrong with the USB ports/drivers/etc? Yes, everything works in Safe Mode, but something is killing the connection and freezing everything in the process.

Is it possible that installing a USB PCI card and using that instead would be a viable option?

EDIT: the answer is "no". My next step is to buy new RAM and see what that does, though I suspect that's not the problem. Everything is fine in Safe Mode, and I don't know where to go now. I've disabled audio services and various drivers but nothing is working. Troubleshooting is getting tiresome.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  14. error404ts

error404ts New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD56xx
    Just for kicks I successfully installed Windows XP Pro after formatting the drive. It still operates even after creating a profile and going through the folders, etc. However when I tried to upgrade to the copy of Vista Home Premium that I bought for this machine it hangs at the same point that a Windows 7 install hangs - in 7 the screen is just the default blue with a cursor that ends up freezing, and in Vista it stops at the progress bar in the center of the screen.

There's something about my setup that neither OS likes though it's only 1.5 years old and has run both OS's successfully (and well) in the past.

15. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    My uncle has that motherboard and parts die in it fast (like onboard components). Sound already died. Had to clear CMOS on bootup. Then it occurred to me, he was running a Foxconn board which are crap.

deltatux

16. error404ts

error404ts New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD56xx
    Something happened to the motherboard when the PSU went out or when I replaced it. I saw this evening that there was 1 scorched and 1 broken chip next to where the CPU is seated. Bought a new board tonight and installed it, now a fresh install of Windows 7 is being updated as I type this.

Thanks for all your help!