pc reboots after 2-3 min. of 3d games

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by apalugyay, Jan 27, 2004.

1. apalugyay

apalugyay Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Geforce4 Ti4200 8420s 128meg
    Ok lately anytime I load any 3d intensive software my pc reboots with no error. Nothing in event viewer, I have the auto. restart unchecked but nothing. I just installed asus probe and the first thing that beeps is the +12v and thats reading 13.504v and also the +3.3v is showing 2.896v. My cpu temp is 50c and mobo is 28c.
    The power supply is only about 6-7 monthes old. It is a 420watt which was upgraded from a 250 watter. Is my psu a piece of $hit or what?

2. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    hmmm... it is a possibility - what make is it? cos some cheaper ones dont kick out as much power as they claim.

3. apalugyay

apalugyay Member Guru

GPU:
    Model: OKIA-420ATX I am assuming this is a cheapo. What do you think about those readings? What can I do to determine if it is in fact the psu causing this? Thanks

4. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    If you have a friend that has a comparably rated power supply, ask him or her if you can borrow it for a while so that you can see if it does the same thing. If it solves the problem, then the problem is the power supply.

5. Blissed

Blissed Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 8800GTS 320mb
    I had a similar issue and found that upgrading the PSu did the trick. Be careful with some of the cheaper models as they rate the unit by it's peak Wattage as opposed to average. I settled on a Thermaltake 480W PSu which peaks at 550W and have had no issues at all since it's purchase.

6. apalugyay

apalugyay Member Guru

GPU:
    Well none of my buddys have anything close to what I have so thats out of the ? It was kinda wierd, about an hour ago I was browsing online and all of a sudden the pc reboots but it did like a double reboot. It's like the psu shut off went back on and then shut off again in a matter of 2-3 seconds and I was'nt running any intensive software. I'm confused. Any other suggestions? Oh another thing nothing is overclocked.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2004
  7. apalugyay

apalugyay Member Guru

GPU:

How much did you pay for that?

8. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    Could be the video card. My video card did that and it was defective... Try switching with a new video card see if that does the trick.

9. Drizzt

Drizzt Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7800GT @ Stock OC
    I had a similar problem 2 years ago. It turne out my ram was defective.

10. Stang289

Stang289 Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4890 Crossfire
    Hmm, are you using a Dial Up modem, when i had a gateway computer several years ago, the modem would suck up enough juice(wether it was dialing or transferring info) to cause the computer to reboot. Also download aida32 and check all rails. I reccomend you check to see if all the screws in the PSU are in snug, but not to the point of stripping out causing a connection somewhere could fry out everything or ground out the power before it does any good(thus maybe a reboot?). If you have an older computer you could try out the PSU in that, or maybe buy a cheap 300 watt or so and if it works you found your problem if it doesnt work then its not your PSU.

11. Altazimuth

Altazimuth Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X 5870
    IMHO, If those volt readings are accurate, then they are both outside of the ATX spec. I'd get a decent PSU if I were you.

12. apalugyay

apalugyay Member Guru

GPU:
    Well those reading's were wrong come to find out. My reading's are ok but it is the psu because I unplugged a couple things in my case and the problem was gone. I got really cool looking case with a crappy psu so now I will be looking at antec etc....:)
    Thanks for the help!!