8GB RAM with NO PAGEFILE CLUB or TOPIC (lol)

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Mr.Bigtime, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Thanx for the info.....i didnt know that. Always good read new information. Still, i run on NO PAGEFILE and there is no FACT i cant see around that its harmful to my PC. But the point i always forget to point out is: Iam a GAMER. i use my PC to GAME...i presume u can have problems with Some major applications around.

And iam not saying: Go delete ur PAGEFILES and get your freedom....i opened this topic to see if tehre r people like me. and happy....i am willing to see someone who has Vİsta64 and 8GB and no pagefile and COMPLAINING about it..iam really willing to see it. anybody?

Also if RAM prices were HIGH, it was maybe nonsense to talk about 8GB stuff but its damn cheap.even in my country.

2. SnooSnoo

SnooSnoo Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD510
    I guess it all boils down to what you intend to do with given os and hardware. Gamers would gain from having everything put in ram, in case of power loss, no vital data should be lost.

However, for anyone doing any serious work on windows os'es, the page file is a must. But, along with that, the person doing serious work would not only rely on the os's "healing" capability's, he would have an ups to save his work in a timely fashion in order prevent any data loss.

Its pretty much the same with serious raid controllers, in order to further minimize data loss, they got battery's stuck on the caches. Pretty neat...

I gues a gamer/bencher needs to test out himself what makes his gaming/benching experience the best. The rest of the world needs to be "better safe than sorry". I gues... :)

3. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Now this is something i can STRONGLY AGREE ON...now iam at office..and have a USB EXTERNAL Western Digital. this is laptop..and electric shutdown stuff is no problem but anykind of data loss is important for me...i keep synchronized my laptop with that USb disk all the time. and this is XP with 2GB but i enabled PF...

4. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    6950 2gb Dirt3 @6970 bios
    SnooSnoo summed it up.
    Gamers can tweak their systems beyonds safety levels.
    Other users had better keep their systems slightly safer.
    I no longer wildly OC my system since I crashed my comp while my wife was doing our taxes.
    It was a cold lonely weekend on the couch . . .

5. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    I am lovely with this post too :)

and lol about
    :nerd:

6. redoak

redoak Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX-460 1 GB SLI
    I just used a program mkvtovob that used all 8GB of my ram and started paging to the HD. May have been a bug but the whole system would have crashed without that pagefile...

7. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Its as i've posted before, and i still maintain its entirly dependent on what your using the system for. I turned my page file off yesterday and so far no probs, but then all i do is mostly game and surf so i didnt really expect a prob.

However i'll probably be turning it back on as i've seen no performance increase whatsoever, same as when i jumped from 4Gig to 8Gig. Bit of a pointless upgrade really, which again really only worth it if your doing something that requires the RAM.

8. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    why not just let let windows take care of its own. i mean if any kind of OS tweaks offer the slightest bit noticable improvement in performance, then its time to update your hardware. plain and simple.

if you cant afford, then its all well and good but better off to just use a lighter OS. i dont really see a debate of pagefile or any other kind of OS alteration really going anywhere important.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Another good point...

10. sepulchre

sepulchre Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX280
    Sorry not been here to back you up more pillmonster, but been away since i first posted here, but i am glad to see you are getting the better of this discussion.

I have Vista U with 4 gb of ram, PF disabled and no problems, this is a mainly internet browser, Gaming computer.
    If you want to test this, you should either have a 1 1/2x ram page file or no page file.
    Setting a page file of some stupidly small amount proves nowt because your comp will try to use it.
    So page file of 1gb max 1gb min is pointless, because you will get harddrive thrashing and constant harddrive usage even tho you don't need to use it.
    Hope this is clear.

@xrc6 when has it ever been a good idea to let moneygrab control anything to do with you're comp.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009

11. sepulchre

sepulchre Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX280

Dead right, the good thing about disabling page file tho, is that you are in charge of your computer, it is doing what you want, it is working for you.

12. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    good idea??
    this is an enthusiasts crowd here. just look at everyones specs. you think too many here are worried about how much they spend for performance?
    If you an enthusiast, nothing is a good idea yet it wont stop you. not sure if your belonging here or not?

13. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Well, at the very least it's able to give you a better understanding of your OS.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hmm, Ok, in that case could you explain why this thread has had over 1,600 hits and well over 100 posts by some pretty IT savvy people...? :p

Seems to be a pretty hot topic atm....;)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  15. sepulchre

sepulchre Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX280
    I think you missunderstood me, moneygrab was a ref to microsoft, the people who like to lock you into their OS, and get as much as they can.
    Therefore they will tell you that you will need whatever gets them the most money.
    IE lots of ram, large hard drive with room for large pagefile, etc,etc.

Sarcasm was used.

16. sepulchre

sepulchre Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX280
    This is just a silly comment imo.

I have found a list of Vista tweaks on the net that will speed up startup and shutdown.
    I have also found it great for disabling lots of Vista junk to increase performance.
    Nowt to do with hardware, just Vista bloatware.

17. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    theres a list of hardware doing the same thing but faster, like SSD. Vista isnt the only OS. W7 is on the horizon so whats your point? my point was simple, good enough hardware makes OS tweaks moot. tweaks vary depending on user, you shouldnt recommend everyone cripple something in thier OS cause they ma use it differently.
    though i never found pagefile disabling to improve anything nor seen benchmarks to prove it but thats just my experience.

18. sepulchre

sepulchre Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX280
    Hardware costs ££££. W7 how much? 100s£?

Disabling PF may not improve anything performance wise, but it certainly does not inhibit performance, but it will limit hardware thrashing.

Also system tweaks are part of overclocking......... yes?

Don't a lot of people overclock and tweak to extend the life of their hardware?

Moreso now because of the so called credit crunch.

19. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    what are you arguing about, i thought i covered cost, read first post. one last time, my point was really very, very...very simple, i'll even sum it up for ya. faster hardware is always the better option.
    ocin'g is hardware tweaking btw case you didnt realize, far from my posted comment and farther yet off topic. also keep in mind i'm not holding a gun to your head telling you what to do, i stated a simple fact is all :3eyes:

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Amen brother, well said.

Btw in reply to your earlier post to me: Most people used to think the Sun went round the Earth too, and that the Earth was flat (some still do - flat earth society...lol). Guess I'm just sticking to my guns...

Actually this is one of the best and most intelligent debates I've seen on Guru for a long time. Some interesting theories from both the for and against camps.

Congratulations to all involved for keeping this debate at a civilized level and not turning it into a flame war..[​IMG]