Windows 8

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by snowdweller, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowdweller

snowdweller Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 580 SLI
    Hey guys!

Just installed windows 8 DP and gotta say pretty impressed!

Just thought i'd start a thread if anyone else has it also tho share your thoughts.

First impressions:

1. No option to change metro start button. Had to download Blue Poison and "hack" it to get my start menu back.

2. Log in requires a password associated to your email. (possibly another method but was rushing the install didn't actually check). Had to google how to remove password as User account wouldn't let me.

3. Games are very tempremental! half of them CTD with no warning. Others jsut refuse to open. Others look like AA isn't working at all so alot of work in that department. (thankgod for 2 comps)

Also apparently Beta is coming Feb :)

2. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    if you give me a link to the download page maybe I will try it ! Also did you install it with WM or not ?

3. Cambria

Cambria Guest

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    Iv seen screen shots of it, dont care for the tablet style layout. Hopefully they will make it to where you can have it look like 7. Im sure they will, so far Windows classic theme has been available with all versions of windows Iv used.

4. snowdweller

snowdweller Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 580 SLI

5. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Can you give us some game benchmark comparisons please?

i read W8 is in fact faster at running games. if true, i'd buy it for that alone. i like eficiency and slim feel in an OS.

6. snowdweller

snowdweller Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 580 SLI
    Well no. By itself the start menu looks like a windows phone which I hated so I googled around and it seems Italy don't like it also so they made a program to get the start menu back. Have Aero desktop and a couple other things.

It's called BluePoison, check it out here once you've gotten windows 8 installed. THE LINKY FOR BLUEPOISON

7. snowdweller

snowdweller Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 580 SLI
    Well games so far I've tried are Batman: AA, BF3, GTAIV, Portal 2.

BF3 for some reason or another wouldn't go full screen until I restarted PC.
    Batman is now sluggish in some areas where on Win7 it was smooth.
    Portal I had no problems
    Gta I had no problems

Also I'm seeing jaggies like crazy in all games even when I got maxed all AA in game an NVCP yet no FPS difference in game so gonna keep an eye out for this.

8. Napster

Napster Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual Nvidia GTX980Ti SLI
  9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I completed Hard Reset the first time on WDP, ran fine.

I disabled Metro UI too and forgot I was in Windows 8 for a while when I dual booted

I thought everyone would have already downloaded this by now, its been available for a long time

10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    It doesn't seem that long ago that I installed Windows 7, which itself was a huge improvement on the bloated Vista. Windows 7, however, still has a number of annoying issues, some of which have been around for years. The most irritating is the way windows don't always refresh properly when deleting or even renaming files (seems to be very random on my system). Also, windows never seem to remember their settings for very long, e.g. I'll suddenly find my icons in one folder have switched from medium to large size or the User folder is sorted by Type instead of Name. That last bug has been around for as long as I've using Windows though and I'm amazed that Microsoft can't seem to fix it for good. Registry tweaks certainly help (the issue would be even more annoying without them to be honest) but only for so long.

Anyway, on to Windows 8. I can't say I'm particularly excited about yet another version of Windows with a new set of bugs because it is absolutely sure to have them, I guarantee it. I still think it is too soon for a new version of Windows although I appreciate that its release doesn't mean I have to immediately update to it. However, this operating system is supposedly going to be optimized for games so there may well be Windows 8 exclusive games that force me to upgrade. I wouldn't put that past Microsoft if it helps to shift more copies; they tried it with Halo 2 if I remember which needed (but didn't actually) DirectX 10 and, thus, Windows Vista to run.

I'm none too keen on the Metro interface either and Microsoft pretty much ruined the Xbox 360's dashboard with the last update too (I believe that is based on Metro as well) as it is has even more advertising and the interface is a mess. Not everything Microsoft does with Windows is for the best as anyone who has used Windows Me or Vista will tell you. I can't help but wonder if Windows 8 will be the next Vista as they do seem to mess up every other version based on their current track record.

Anyway, I may try the beta at some point but I'll wait for user-feedback first before I even consider it, just on the off-chance it turns out to more Vista and less 7. ;)

11. Cambria

Cambria Guest

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    This seems to be the way things are going. Seems hardware and software are advancing so fast anymore that there seems to be less focus on working out the bugs before something new is released. I miss running Windows XP for like 8 years.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    This can be done in the registry as well...

Windows Live ID is not required at all. No password is actually required for login. It's still optional, just as it's always been.

13. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I just watched the Windows 8 part of the Microsoft keynote at CES. In the new tablet style menus there is a box called desktop that will bring you right back to familiar grounds.

14. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Just installed it on both my desktop and laptop as a 2nd OS, I do not like the removal of the start menu in place of tabs (and the fact you have to hack the OS to get it back). To me if the desktop version is in it current form at release, I will not be buying it as I find the whole socialization aspect of the OS, very unneeded, and unnecessary to the functions of the OS.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  15. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    The demo didn't show the start menu but there was a start button at least.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Read the post above your's.....

17. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I know about that. It's not what I want. To get what I want you have to hack the registry.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You are aware that the developer preview was an "alpha" release right? There's still plenty of time for MS to add features everyone wants.

19. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Yeah, I know. I don't mind the metro look, it's just a big change from what I'm used to (and many others I'm sure). It would be nice if Microsoft gave a choice as to what look we wanted whether it was the Metro, or the Aero look we've been used to. Personal, I find things a little harder to find in the Metro look, that I can find in a snap with Aero.

20. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    you can get used to anything, its important to stay adaptable in an ever evolving and changing tech age.
    No doubt 3 yr olds will adapt almost instantly. You don't want to be that old fuddy duddy thats stuck in his stubborn old ways do ya? like that 90 yr old guy i once met who thought tv's were stupid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.