Intel Core i7-4770K clocked to 7068.52MHz

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In a press-release MSI informs us that a new overclocking record has been set with its Z87 XPOWER motherboard. The Overclocking Knights managed to overclock Intel's Core i7-4770K to a wwhopping 7068...

Intel Core i7-4770K clocked to 7068.52MHz

2. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Nice clock, but its already been beaten ;)

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    This is a retail sample, though.

4. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    Haa! :D Nitro LN2 cooler??

5. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    From my point of view this "OC olympics" is nothing more than ridiculous for most of us entusiast end users with at least a bit of healty brain cells. CPU-Z picture above shows only 2 active cores and HT is off. Even here and here is the same. Soon I'm expection someone to break 8.5GHz record with i7-4770K and only one active core without HT. What's the point of this, even my 12 y.o. kid knows this OC record is useless for everyday use + there is L2N cooling involved, something that can be used propperly even for few hours. This CPU OC record breaking war between motherboard manufacturers is like kids fighting among themselfs using words like: "...my dad is stronger than yours!...". Ridiculous, nothing more than ridiculous...

Edit: Did someone noticed 0.815V? No way man, no way...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  6. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    AMD chips are running 8 GHz fully enabled...

7. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Will you guys just get a grip
    Why would he use all cores for cpuz?and jeez ricardo how else would he get that type of speed without -100c or even less?

This is pro clockers with world record speeds ok(this was record now its 7.084)i
    its not a street car but all out dragster.

Give props.. not bash becuase you could never get these speeds even if you had all the same tools as him.
    Not really into 2d benches but its a feat of awesomeness anyway you look at it.

8. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    ****in right Cowie! Some people just don't get what this is all about! To be fair, who cares they don't need to get it, as long as we have fun doing it :)

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Only the 4 module one hit that speed if I recall, which isn't that impressive.

10. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    We are all aware what is the real purpose behind those CPU OC records breaking and in most of them real reason is just a prestige war between motherboard manufacturers, something that only extreme fans of only one MB brand can take "seriously" and then hit their chests with fists like a male gorilla when they see that their favorite MB brand manufacturer owns a CPU OC world record.
    Also most of us are aware how this extreme overclock works, at least for short tracks, personaly I know MSI chairman for this part of Europe where I'm settled and he confirmed years ago how it works: find some entusiast capable enough with unlimited amount of free time, give him resources like curently best OC capable motherboard with unlocked special motherboard Beta BIOS with insane OC possibilities, if you can get him ingineering sample of CPU, give him enough L2N and a number of GHz you want to see at the and. If he achieve your goal give him money and keep him for future OC records breaking.
    It's not something new, every respectable MB manufacturer (and graphic card manufactures) does this and it is a must for him in trying to stay at the top and to keep "on the fire" hard-core fans of his brand.
    Don't get me wrong, I do respect people who can achieve OC records like this but at some point that OC war become pointless. Imagine some respectable car engine manufacturer who builds V8 car engine and then push it to extremes, some 30.000rpm, with only half of engine active waving to it's fans: "...look, only 4 pistons are working, we had to cool it with 5 tons of ice, but you can hear that 30.000rpm roar, it's amazing! Hands up people, I want to hear who is the best?!...". fans : YOU ARE! lol
    Now give us something usefull, at least 4 cores active without HT on.

11. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    But will it play crysis? It will? I'll be quiet then.

12. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    I bet even LN2 wasn't enough for that uber-toasty 4770K! Maybe LHe (Liquid helium)?? :p

Probably even that was barely enough! lol! :D

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    yeah and here only 2core/2threads, still meh :p

14. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Not to be harsh, but what makes overclocking difficult apart from changing parameters and having enough money to test many pieces in order to get the best one?. Most of them are test and error.The hard part is to design those pieces of course.

But yeah, I agree that this kind of records should be about total CPU performance, im not too much into frequency records (basically because they are bound to a concrete CPU), but well, still not bad for marketing purposes.

15. makaveli316

makaveli316 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    Yeah, good luck with having a stable system 24/7 with that clock.
    I always laugh at these kind of "records".
    This is like making a size 12 shoes for someone who has size 10....pretty pointless.

16. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    We know its for the one upmanship its a business they want market share and who dont want some publicity.

But dont take away the achievment

I mean think about it they had to use a Msi motherboard lol j/k

17. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    It need a bit more of knowledge thant that.. overclocking for "standard" system have become really too easy, but for hit thoses speed, its not just " set vcore to x.xx " and "up the multiplier ". many timing on advanced voltage control is involved for be sure the NB can keep up stable, same goes for all the test about the rest of the system ( memory etc ).

Its not because i buy a pot and fill it with LN2, i will be able to push the same clock on the same chip ...

Ofc be part of AIB teams ( MSI, Asus, Gigaybte etc ) help a lot, you can test many chips, you dont pay for them, you can have access to the best hardware and professional tools for mods the boards, gpu's, advanced bios who allow more fine tuning or expose hidden control.

And this is allways a publicity for them. ( most of thoses records are offtly one on "show" floor ) ..

The point is just to break some record of cpu mhz... I agree its maybe more interessant to watch record for 3Dmark, or cpu, memory benchmark.
    But this dont remove the thing we are not speaking about " high clock "; but really record of clock speed... its allowed to disable some cores, and sometimes after a new record is break, you see them try close the same core speed this time with 4 cores enabled.

If you take the similar things with cars, you can say the same things with the speed records who are made on sand lakes, with cars who use airplane engine.
    Ofc thoses records can seems have no interest as, even on a race, this will not be usable.. you can throw this car on a race circuit, they will anyway never been able to hit this speed or just explode against the wall on the first corner.
    This dont remove the fact, this guy have break a new speed record with a car. ( note that i dont compare both as it was really the same thing or the same level of achievement, this is just an example. )

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    paragraphs please, I did not even read more than a couple words.
    on topic awsome clocks there

19. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    No one has asked you to read it.

On topic, no one will remember this "awesome clock" on CPU crippled in half two days from now. If someone could achive to run that beast on similar clock with all cores enabled that will be something to remember. Until then I don't give a damn about useless OC records like this.

20. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    Well, to be fair, this isn't really a competition for best multi-threading performance. If it is they would be using something like the i7 3970X or server CPUs (or even the incredible IBM supercomputer CPUs). However, I agree that this kind of competition isn't very important. I'd rather see competitions for the max FLOPS people can get overclocking.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013