Sony Electronics releases Full 4K Ultra HD TV Line-up

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Very nice. Only issue the smallest screen is 49'' . I wish a 32'' was available.

3. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    Nice, 49" is about the size I will be looking for when I upgrade in the next year or two. I made mistake years ago and got a huge wall unit entertainment system, its nice but @ 10' x 6' x 3' it can only hold up to a 50"-52" TV, at the time I got it I had just got a top of the line SAMSUNG 37" 720P LCD, years later I upgraded to a 47" 1080P and thought man I am almost out of room not sure what kind of upgrade I can look forward to, but this 49" might just be right for my set up.

4. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    No Full Array LED. After having used a full array tv I will never get anything less. Come on 4k full array led tv, where are you

5. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    why?
    Did you actually see any of the new sony's yourself?
    side by side against any other brand/technology?

i have to assume not, or you would say something like that.
    Since the blacks are better than the best consumer/review-rated plasma while at the same time being brighter than the brightest samsung, what you think on gaining (by using full array). besides a big increase on energy consumption...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  6. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    better blacks. no matter how u spin it, a full array (with local dimming) over edge lit is going to give u a better black any day of the week. take this same tv add full array (with local dimming) instead of edge lit and bam, better black, that's just one reason. im sure sony will actually release one in a higher price range just like all current full array tvs on the market. im just saying, where is it so I can go and purchase one, im not saying these are bad tvs, they just aren't all that they could be

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  7. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    the XBRs/4k UHD sets from sony have intelligent local dimming. having a 55W (local dimming) next to it, you can see the 4k is really black.
    and with the ability to turn off LED's, there will be no gain with full array (no light is the best black).
    dont get me wrong, i know why you think this, but without having seen the picture on the new sony TVs (4k or having PRO behind the name), its hard to "understand" why there is no need for full-array anymore.

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Wow .. nice. 49" in my room is out of the question though :p Good ol' 1080p 32" or 40" for me.

9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Prices don't look too bad. In two years when I'm most likely going to be looking for a new TV I think I may jump on a 55 or 60 incher. My current 55" Sammy is still going strong after 6 years though.

10. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Seriously not trolling here... What can you actually watch on a 4K TV atm? Are there 4K blurays etc?

11. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    yes, many of them I believe are called 'master copy's, I seen them first listed on the torrent sites, these 4k blu rays have uber bit-rates.

12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Not trolling either. Did you read the article you commented on? They talk about the Media that is available now and will be available soon in 4K. Like Sony filming and broadcasting 3 of the World Cup games in 4K.

13. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    is it not still an lcd screen? if not why does it mention led edge lit and "direct led arrays" arranged behind the panel. but again on the flagship is with that direct led array which not surprisingly is 8-20k.
    full array led has that ability, turning off the led behind the lcd panel.
    now if this is some all new type of screen and these arent lcd screens (what are they?) then ok i will need to see for myself. other wise like i said no matter how you spin it, full array is better and still very much relevant.
    heres an article about the differences and according to this it clearly states these tvs are using a cheaper alternative to full array yet it still costs 8-20k.

consumerreports.org/cro/news/2012/05/what-is-a-direct-lit-led-lcd-tv/index.htm

14. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    My head exploded and a kitten died

15. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    No, I didn't read the part about Video Unlimited™ 4K.

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Now granted there isn't a lot of 4K content avalible but as the entry fee for the TV go down and the install base goes up there will be more. I will not even look at 4K TV's untill NFL games are broadcast in 4K.

17. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Yes they are lcd with edge lit leds, but "intelligent" local dimming which can turn off leds compared to local dimming where they only dim the output.

As for media: anyone having a full hd tv and gets bluray quality for cable or satellite? No, you still watch it, even that its coming with lower res.
    Same for the 4k tvs, but with sonys background on upscaling to 2&4k for a decade, gives you 4k quality with 1080p bluray.
    The 4k BDs are "mastered" from the native 4k material and compressed to 1080 with the same chip that does the upscaling in the tvs, so playing those in a bd player from sony that supports triluminos, it looks identical to the 4k feed on the media player.
    Only the 4k player or a pc will provide a (native) 4k output.
    Sony already has about 100 movies and shows available in 4k, and they will convert all material that sony/columbia owns into 4k including the wider color garmut (triluminos).
    I looked at the first ghostbuster movie and the difference is phenomenal. Doesn't even show that it was not shot in the 4k...

Sony shoots about 80% of the nfl games, but as long as cable provider dont care to upgrade to 4k, only sony will be able to provide (near) 4k picture quality with lower resolution on their 4k tvs...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4k will only be for really big screens even in the future?

19. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Sony does 49-84". The viewing distance is more important. The closer i get, the bigger my viewing area.
    Get the biggest size you can buy, and get as close as you can...

20. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    49" is alright for the living room (imo the absolute maximum for us) but for my own room 32-40" is the range and I will wait another year or 2 if 4k is that big a deal and I can get a TV in that size.