Nvidia announced G-Sync - eliminates stutter and screen tearing with a daughter module

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 18, 2013.

1. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    Skribby at Overlord has an article about it with some insight on how it works.

He is hoping to create an add-in board for existing monitors as well as releasing IPS 1440p panels with this tech. Apparently he tried it out and it was quite good.

It is dynamic refresh rate control based on GPU rendering times. Monitor refreshes as soon as a frame is available.

2. S3nt3nc3

S3nt3nc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W7000
    I see one potential downside of it.
    Eye strain.
    It takes me quite a while to get used to a monitor with a different refresh rate. My eyes hurt after 10-15 minutes even when i change refresh rate form 60 to 65 Hz and vice versa.
    Can't even imagine how bad it might be when it will fluctuate between 40~120Hz.

3. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    @S3nt3nc3, I believe this is a smaller amount of people who have this issue. Personally, I can swap around refresh rates and the higher it gets the more comfortable my eyes feel. As its refresh as soon as the frame becomes available ... I don't see the low refresh rate being a problem.

I do see your point though.

4. wasteomind

wasteomind Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
    Thank **** this issue is finally getting more attention. As long as this doesn't have any significant downsides, I will be upgrading to have this.

I ALWAYS use vsync as tearing and stuttering are the bane of my enjoyment. Even with vsync I noticed this issue and had given up hope there might ever be some solution. My goal the past generation has been 60fps @ 1080p and seeing drops into the 40s and 50s which should have been ok, have been agonizing. I thought I was going crazy, but this just confirms the issue with the technology at present.

This is a step in the right direction and I am sold. I just really hope this isn't a software limited technology like the crap from Lucid. Good ideas ruined by crappy software and no development support.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013

5. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Sounds like this eliminates the necessity of driver or programming optimization. If the gameplay is fluid enough fps has been completely removed from any argument.

6. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    That isn't an issue with LCDs, since the pixels are always on. They just change the colour on each screen refresh.

This has nothing to do with game optimization...
    There might not be any tearing with g-sync, but you'd still notice it in the input. Can you imagine moving your mouse around if the screen updates at 10 fps? Getting the visual feedback from the movement would take 100 milliseconds.

7. S3nt3nc3

S3nt3nc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W7000
    Well, maybe for you it is not an issue. For me it can be really unpleasant experience. Don't know why.

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I honestly might have missed something here, but Ive read the article and the comments.

Is this going to work with AMD cards as well or is Nvidia doing what they always do and closing it off and locking it to their cards only like CUDA, PhysX, TXAA, etc, etc.

At least AMD have the brains to allow OpenCL and soon Mantle to run on other architectures.

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    not mantle , you need gnc

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Yep they are....

Let me find the quote.

EDIT:

Here

11. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    that doesnt say it will run on nvidia does it ?

12. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Pretty much why carmack said he wouldn't use it tonight when asked

13. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Johan said on stage at the nvidia conference that their end goal was to open it up and make it work on everything. Time will tell I guess.

14. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    well he was defending it , why shouldnt he ? he is in it elbow deep. tbh it felt like a odd moment when that question was asked.

15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    No it doesn't but what its saying is that other architectures. Like the ones from Nvidia, or Intel wont be hindered by it. Unlike PhysX. I need PhysX installed on my PC to even run/open certain games yet I can't use it at all only on CPU and we all know that is a complete waste of time.

Sure games might add more effects through Mantle that won't run on Nvidia (which I really hope does not happen) all I am hoping for is more performance.

I hate the way the PC market is going now, it is literally like Nvidia and AMD are purposely trying to create two markets. You either go green and play X games or you go red and play Y games. Which for me will be the end of PC gaming.

16. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Of course he is defending it, you don't dedicated years to something you think is not worth it.

and yeah it was odd, tbh I thought it was odd that he had been invited I mean nvidia knows he's the leader on mantle, It was weird when the other 2 started questioning him and his choices even a slight mock at him at one point.

Maybe that was nvidia's plan to have him their just to mock mantle on stage, either way I think he handled the situation very well.

17. wasteomind

wasteomind Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
    That sounds like marketing spin for Mantle is ATI exclusive, but we won't mandate Mantle specific features (i.e. physx effects that are brand specific).

18. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Wouldn't that just make their day. Never having to fix everything they've broken over the years. I'd still rather they fixed their bloody drivers first, though.

19. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    well yeah hindered by not running it at all and running a different api.

Yes you need physx installed, but its normal. you have directx installed, opengl and soon mantle.
    I can understand the frustration on the performance part as it indeed runs like crap. even for me! they did announce a performance boost though , even for AMD cards it said so on the slide in yesterdays event but it remains to be seen how much this is true. its all marketing after all.

I agree its heading in the wrong direction it infact was part of the reason why i bought a nvidia card (since i like physx effects).
    I think it will only get worse over the years.

20. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    OpenCL is not AMD's brainchild; it's Apple's.
    Then it's being maintained by the Khronos group (the same group that maintains OpenGL standards) which includes both AMD and Nvidia, among other big vendors like Intel and SGI.

Both vendors (AMD and Nvidia) had OpenCL support (in their drivers) at around the same time (2009 IIRC), and back then it's a generally accepted fact that Nvidia's OpenCL support was actually better than AMD for some time, only to have AMD play catch-up several months later.