Anyone loves to Drive Long Distances?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Mr.Bigtime, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Well, i do. A LOT. actually i go to long distance short holidays just for DRIVING.

Maybe i would be a truck driver lol.

Anyway, i want to go to drive a 800 KM road but have 2 alternatives.

1- 788 KM . it will take 9h : 38 min according to Navigation app. it is complete double road. you know what i mean? you never drive in a single lane. and %35-40 is Highway. still country road but just some mountains and flat roads. a bit boring but mostly considered as SAFE. Went many times and so far no issues. i know where to stop and rest eat etc.

Some videos from past journeys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIUKusLSGKY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VwXRI-U-qM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pRJKmQOymA

2- 699 KM . Takes 9h:31 min according to NAVIGATION app. Shorter in Km but same in time because this route is so "S" stype. and %25 High way, rest is single lane.

here are some examples from youtube. not mine indeed lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN8CR5bSAWU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJyBBOWS-UY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfgolFHpoyM

* That last video made me think twice to go that route. i mean the driver. looks so dangerous to me. even his style and face tells me that.

as u see in a little few places double Lane. i think mostly in urban places.

as i see if u have some problem with ur tire. there is no place to pull over.

But nice view, sea , sun, clean weather. challenging. slower. and in my opinion this "S" type roads keeps u more aware and not sleepy hu?

Interestingly according to statistics , Route 1 has more accidents than 2. people sleep when the road is so FLAT? straight i mean..

what u think people. u love driving? which one would u prefer.

The danger is not just myself, my mistakes but stupid drivers who make fcking who breaks the road rules.

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Depends on the vehicle, if it was an Aston Martin DBS V12 then i could drive probably forever. If it was your normal run of the mill vehicle then maybe 2 hrs is enough before i want to gtfo.:)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    At this time of year? Number two.

4. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    This. :p

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    What is this? Euro Truck Simulator - the Simulator? :p

6. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    This is why i bought ET sim ;)

7. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Me.

And my dad too, he has been half his life driving trucks for his own company across the whole country, when i was a kid (now too, but now im the driver :p) we used to go like 200km away around my hometown on sundays just to have lunch and drive all the way.

He says that after all those years driving a truck, driving a car is like being in heaven. Any kind of car is fine for him, in fact he likes his seat (which is pretty old, like 10years, but has never been fixed, so he keeps it) more than my audi :infinity:.

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Used to, but 6 years as an OTR (long haul) truck driver in the USA cured me of that. Longest run was LA-Miami, 2800 miles. lol

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Same boat here, but I never did anything that long thankfully.

10. GreenSmoke

GreenSmoke Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 660 OC FrzIII
    I was an OTR driver for 4 months...missing the 11hr. limit by minutes every day or night. Longest one was CA to NY, and that was my last one. I love driving doesn't matter what. So i decided to keep it more local. So now i just receive and deliver/stock for a decent Industrial supply place, less pay sure but i get to sleep in a real bed every night.

As for OP question, I'd drive both, one way there..other way back.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I almost reconsidered recently after seeing Australian truck drivers can earn between $100K-$150K.....

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've grown to hate driving.... People have gotten so inconsiderate of others on the road, it takes all the enjoyment out of it. Maybe if I lived somewhere else, it might be different.....

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Give me a Ferrari 458 and a good piece of road and I'll drive it for a week with only breaks for filing up. Otherwise nope.

14. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    You guys are lucky, more than 150Km non-stop driving by car is a science fiction to me no matter how good that car is. I'm focusing too much on things on road and besides the road while I'm driving, listening for the sound of car engine (I don't like to listen music while driving, car engine is music to my ears)...etc. Many times I caught myself barely breeding while driving car and not talking to anyone inside the car like I'm prepared to make car-suicide and with more powerful engine under the hood of the car these thing are only getting worse. Not to mention few cases whan I caught myself sleeping behind the wheel and driving few hundred meters with closed eyes, I was scared like a little girl after few situations like this, last time that was in summer 2007 and after that I avoid to drive car in one way more than 50Km alone (thank God my wife like to drive long distances). I'm not scared while driving car, but car driving for long distances simply drain my energy super-fast. After 150Km drive non-stop I'm prepared to sleep for hours...
    But when I'm driving my motorcycle that is completely different story: I can drive it for days non-stop, just stoping to piss and eat something for few minutes. It's odd, I know, I don't have any rational explanation for that.

15. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    You can earn that much here if you know how to run doubles and have a decent amount of experience. Still, I wouldn't do it again even for that given all the crap you deal with. No sleep, bad drivers, breakdowns, maneuvering in tight depots/drop spots, using a ten speed in heavy rush hour traffic, etc. I run buses now since it works with my school schedule.

16. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Man the views in those vids are nice. That kind of driving is always nice, or country driving.

Interstate in my area is ****ing boring and tedious.

17. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    only when going on vacation

18. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    I do. My longest was over 900KM within Canada, and took something like 12hrs. It was beautiful with great views.

But the worst part was having one driver that did the whole trip in one go with couple of small breaks. A real hero. Dad. :3

19. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Sorry to have different opinion,i hate driving for more than 2 hours.
    I worked 5 years as a salesman,i almost never walked,driving all day,everywhere.
    At the begining i was thrilled,but after 5 years,driving sounded like a chore to me.
    Now,i get drowsy after 2 hours,i need to take a coffe break or else!
    Longest drive was like 3600 km across Europe in a hot august .Marked me for life.Never again.

20. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I love to drive IN MY MARS ROVER :D