Need Suggestions and knowledge - Powersupply & 12v Amps for Gaming

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Solitude, Mar 31, 2013.

1. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    Don't get the 7850. In many cases it's as fast as your 5870 or only slightly faster.
    I'd recommend the 7870, if possible buy the XT/LE version which is on par with a 7950.

2. Solitude

Solitude Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7870 XT 2GB
    They have stopped manufacturing the Tahiti LE chipset version of 7870. :(
    Its out of stock in my country :'(

3. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Agree with Mufflore 100%

Note: Your mobo requires BIOS Version 0042 or newer for Ivy Bridge....0016=Sandy Bridge only...

4. Solitude

Solitude Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7870 XT 2GB
    Oh... So i can update my bios on current processor as well?
    Also for Power supplies currently market only has VS 500-650 Watts Corsair. How is this model? Any good?

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You can update your BIOS any time before you put the new processor in.

The VS650 looks fine but I cant find any reviews from reviewers that do hardcore testing.
    Its heritage is good, its based on CWT hardware.
    It isnt 80plus certified so might use a bit more electricity than say the Corsair CX series (80plus bronze certified).

It has a 3 year warranty, which you should easily exceed if you dont push it hard, so get the 650W version.

6. Solitude

Solitude Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7870 XT 2GB
    Corsair offers 1 year warranty in my country since expensive power supplies aren't praised by the majority so lesser sales.
    Okay i will update the bios in advance. I am opting for a used 2500 corei5 since it has a good boost clock. I can't afford an ivy setup right now due to liquidity crunch plus its new therefore its a rare possibility that i can get a used ivy i5.
    BTW do we even need 8GBs of RAM for system specs and gaming usage like mine? I am using 4GBs and games rarely cross the 3GB threshold :/ What's the point of an 8GBs anyways? Future proofing for games like The witcher 3 and GTA 5 ?

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    4GB is ok for nearly everything, I only just switched to 8GB today to save my SSD as the swapfile is on it.
    If you keep a lot of things open while you game, then your pagefile will get used a bit which can cause a few pauses.
    But 4GB is certainly enough for unmodded games.

More memory is useful if you want to have many things open at the same time, use Virtual machines, make a Ramdrive for the swapfile, run heavily modded games like Skyrim... ...

8. Solitude

Solitude Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7870 XT 2GB
    Bios killed my mobo

Gave it on warranty today! Damn! I should have never updated my bios from stock! :bang:It was all working fine! Bios updated to version 0.99 from stock (feb 2011) successfully. But it kept getting stuck on motherboard menus and not proceeding to peripherals like optical drive or hard disc drive :(:bang:
    Motherboards dead in technical terms . Now changing bios isn't helping either. It doesn't work and i dont get it why. Since 1.5 years have passed now i'll have to pay 20 $ extra for a replacement piece and that will come after 20 days !!:bang::bang::bang:

9. Solitude

Solitude Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7870 XT 2GB
    I am getting an asus p8b75 tomorrow for 80$ .
    Plus will get an i5 2500 used by trading my i3 for 90$ and paying extra 40-50$ to get a used i5 2nd gen. 2500.

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Unfortunate!

Seeing as you are getting a motherboard that allows overclocking the CPU multiplier, get a K series chip.
    Otherwise you "still" wont be able to overclock using the multiplier.
    Then, to get really good overclocks, get a good CPU cooler, there are some good cheap ones about £15 in the UK, not sure what you have available.

11. Solitude

Solitude Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7870 XT 2GB
    15 Euros ? Lol.

Got VS 650 PSU along with Business grade Quality ASUS P8B75 MLX. Fixing up setup then will test if anything differs in gaming performance etc.

12. Solitude

Solitude Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7870 XT 2GB
    You will not believe this! Amps on GPU VRM are higher than before. Gaming experience is much more smoother and stable. Not extra hitches and lags nor sound chopping or anything. I guess the upgrade was worth it! Except CPU temps are crossing 50 idle and 85+ in load. Maybe its because the some of the thermal paste got removed accidently.

13. Solitude

Solitude Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7870 XT 2GB
    http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/1887/alarming.jpg

The upgrade really helped in the gaming experience.. much more smoother gaming with lesser stutter and no extra hitches or lags giving you a feel of choking hardware.
    Though i some how rubbed the cpu thermal paste and that is why the temps are so crazy high :/
    Also now the GPU VRM is showing around 50amperes maximum while gaming in bioshock. Which proves sufficiency of my PSU upgrade. Previously i never crossed 47 at rare moments.
    * I am happy. It did improve the overall experience.
    * Not a fan of any type of overclocking so i would go with boost clock i5s and they will suffice.
    For GPU in a couple months i'll upgrade to some good quality 2gb Vram GPU.

14. Solitude

Solitude Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7870 XT 2GB
    Thermal paste solved the temperature problem as well. CPU temps now under 70c even at torture testing (Crysis 3)

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Excellent stuff!
    Keep us posted.

16. Solitude

Solitude Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7870 XT 2GB
    How to know exactly the amount of power our GPU needs?

I read multiple articles about GPU TDP, VRM. The stated watts of GPU to work under load and the PSU's 12v rails. I still didn't find anything relevant. That makes me conclude that if i have a GPU which utilizes 190-220watts under peak load. Then how much amps should suffice on 12v rails for my powersupply?:bed:
    So it will be great if some one can explain the phenomenon of GPU and Powersupplies in the context of my query :newb:

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What would you like to know?

Watts/Amps = Volts.

Amperage shown on each rail is the maximum not actual.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  18. Solitude

Solitude Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7870 XT 2GB
    I'll ask it again.
    How to know exactly the amount of power our GPU needs?
    Fact 1 : TDP for my current GPU is 188watts. Stated recommended 500watts powersupply.

Fact 2 : But then we gamers and geeks and enthusiasts talk about that magical 12v rail which should be considered the most before buying the PSU. Since is has those amps which graphics card use and they should not be any less than xyz. So how do we conclude?
    Both the facts are technically countering each other. All i wanna say is a 450 watts 80+ power supply isn't enough for a GPU using 188w ?

19. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Your 188w Video Card needs 15.667 Amps on the 12V rail that it is plugged into. A quality 450 watt Power supply with a 16 or 17 amp 12V rail could handle it provided that the particular 12v rail is dedicated to the video card only and you don't overclock it. You're overly complicating it and creating mental problems that don't really need to exist. :)

Read this about Power Supplies and Electricity in General:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/181

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Your "graphics card" needs up to the TDP of the actual gfx card.
    More if you clock it.
    Recommended PSU is for an average PC and sometimes isnt enough imo.

12V isnt magical or an enthusiast issue, its the core voltage rail that most of the PC runs from.
    If it cant supply enough current, you are pushing the PSU to its limit and then its voltage will drop.
    Too low a voltage or too large a varying voltage (as happens when a PC is in use) can cause hardware to have errors or crash.

Nothing counters the other.
    All parts of a PC require power from the PSU.
    The folly comes from believing that no matter what gfx card you have, the rated power for the CPU is all that matters.
    OR
    No matter what CPU you have, the rated power for the gfx card is all that matters.
    OR
    No matter how you use it, you can get away with the rated PSU.

They all matter, especially if you decide to put high power components together.
    Overclocking also matters, as does how long you want the PSU to last.

PSUs wear out, reducing the max power they can output.
    The harder you push a PSU and/or the hotter it is, the faster it wears out, so if you push it hard and/or it is hot, it wont last as long.
    You dont want to push a PSU past its max output as it can die horribly taking some other hardware out, its a risk.
    Sometimes a higher rated PSU than the recommended is needed due to hardware requirements.
    Sometimes a higher rated PSU than recommended is needed due to how it is operated.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013