AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    NV560Ti @900/2394 ATI4890
    Every time you answering to me you seem satirical, but usb polling rate is the culprit for low fps in F.E.A.R. Hardware trademarks have no matters to it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  2. Sevenz

Sevenz Active Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4870 512MB
    He didn't sound satirical to me.

3. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    I'm not being sarcastic :(.... lol. I literally have a Rock Band mic plugged in, I'm a cheap bastard.

4. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    NV560Ti @900/2394 ATI4890
    Ok, sorry then, I forgot to take my pills. :eyes:

... they were so bad with me at the school! :kenny:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010

5. xhinxhan

xhinxhan New Member

GPU:
    XFX 6870 @ 1015/1125
    I am using the TwL 3.49 - 10.5 based drivers on my card.

What app profile is recommended for me to use? The latest?

6. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090 Fe
    Twl have you discovered why drivers from 10.6 till 10.9a have ctd in bad company 2?
    i tried your drivers and 10.10 beta and seems more stable but not totally

7. sprower

sprower Master Guru

GPU:
    TriFire5770 9800GT Physx
    @xhinxhan I'd use the latest. There were a few versions that TwL mentioned only to use specific CAPS but I believe those were long after 3.49. Just make sure you read the info specific to the drivers you are using.

8. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    Have you tried resetting your graphics settings for BFBC2 after updating your graphics driver? Sometimes some games need the settings reset to be compatible with the new driver.

There may have been other issues, until someone posts with the answer (or I remember what caused the CTD with some of ATI's driver versions), try checking the first page of this thread and reading the notes TwL posted there. Also try the tip TwL posted there about backing up and removing the DirectX files in BFBC2 folder, so that BFBC2 uses the latest files installed by the recent DirectX update instead of the old ones in the BFBC2 folder. You may want to try resetting Catalyst Control Centre 3D settings then adjusting them again once the game is running smoothly.

You can find the below info from TwL's comments on the first page of this thread, good to check the first couple of posts regularly for tips and links regarding games, drivers and patches that TwL has kindly provided for everyone.

From page 1 - New Microsoft DirectX patches only work with driver versions starting from v3.95 and v1.08HD4, then also the newer drivers released from then onwards.

TwL mobility supported 3.95 BFBC2 stability patch from archived drivers page 1 of this thread. http://www.mediafire.com/?v1vd971b6kr6apm

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  9. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    i have the same version, should i instal app profile 10.09a?

YES?

NO?

keep it simple peps ty.

10. Sevenz

Sevenz Active Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4870 512MB

11. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Medal of Honor:
    It's rather funny 'Medal of Honor' title yet again and ATI profiling. TI is using lowest possible texture LOD through entire game. Yet, again thanks for the profiling ATI/AMD.. +1.. lol

Only reason we see screw up on ATI cards is because ATI profiling doesn't recognize the game.exe. If you play this please yet again make sure you start it at 1920x1080 as otherwise none of the 'real' effects are applied correctly.

-edit-

Have to edit a bit.. Seems if you force the CCC mode on game it'll apply, but otherwise it'll just work the lowest settings possible. :)

Profiling:
    CrossFireX people should always use the latest profiling for single cards that's just sad as above issue. The profiling is not updated unless driver is updated
    and only way to update 10.9a profiling for single cards is to install it and overwrite it to system32, uninstall profiling and reboot the box. I seriously
    would say this is just extremely sad situation we are at.

As for new:
    Sorry haven't finished testing on new sets, but I will update the setups on some point when I get something new up.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  12. Anthrax27

Anthrax27 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    @ TwL

Hey mate ,

I am on 4.24 build atm ( Catalyst 10.8 ) and yesterday i installed the latest Catalyst 10.9 Southbridge drivers . Just wanted to ask that is it ok from a stability point of view ?
    havin 10.8 gfx drivers and 10.9 for the SB ?
    Let me know :)

Thanks

13. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    It doesn't matter 1 cent point of SB and more specifically AMD USB/NorthBridge drivers is that before you install any display driver the
    system core drivers are good in the system as then the display driver gets better stability from begin with how it can utilize system RAM and CPU<-NB->GPU.

So, always use the newest drivers for the 'system' what you can find, if updating system drivers update them before display driver is installed. O and
    this same goes to some of the sound cards depending on driver load order of system Sound Card drivers should always come first, but well this is an minor detail.

@commonly

New Drivers:
    I will continue on Wednesday tomorrow with HD3650 and HD5850(the usual) testing and asap add new set based up to newer DX OGL etc etc. CCC 10.8
    stays as core 10.10b is worthless in a sense it's not the driver I was looking for before or well it does not do job stable against few other builds I was
    hoping to get driver to.

Other stuff regarding cooling of your unit:
    I also took a look on HD5850 cooling here I imaging this would go to any HD58xx closed box card there is (Reference), but by simply for me to take the
    blastic cover out and attaching the metal parts of the cards & adding 120mm regular Zalman FAN to the card noise went of course down, but hell card runs
    at 60-70c absolute maximum. I posted picture in here for some people about NVIDIA 9800GTX setup of mine which doesn't hve FAN at all and it's like
    47-50c 24/7. Now I wanted to see how would HD5850 act on this same condition exception that I added on top of it an 120mm fan. This just makes
    me wonder of HD5970 (even the QuadFireX people). They say that the 'heat dispatch' is VERY high. Now I can understand this while using the reference
    cooling blasting crap, but just for fun I'd try without it. :)

Here's couple pictures I took this costs less than 5 Euros to build and I just took this to test scenario. The thermal paste I used was Zalman ZM-STG1
    (Which is the worst scenario nightmare there is cheap and useless, but had few extra bottles of it from somewhere) to GPU patches on memory/VRM are the stock.

Test Setup:
    [​IMG]

Temperatures (IDLE Only, just general idea of course gaming is this setup is around 70-80c with 99% LOAD as usual):
    [​IMG]

Sorry, of quality of the pictures, but I just wanted to add up some idea what I am speaking of and how crappy setup I am referring to. Considering 5000
    RPM ATI/AMD cooler against 5 Euros 120mm 1800 RPM Zalman fan noise level is dropped to nothing and the card stays cool even better than on this 5000 RPM fan.

I'm planning to add tomorrow full copper cooling on the unit, but just wanted to test an cheap alternate solution to water or air.

14. DarkSilver

DarkSilver Active Member

GPU:
    Palit GeForceā„¢ GTX 670 JS
    Will this mean the Stock Heatsink is actually freaking awesome?
    Why they didn't include a bigger fan or stronger fan to begin with? Sad.

15. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Why should I use bigger fans? and yeah, the stock heat sink is pretty OK, if you think a bit further I never said stock heat sink in itself had any issue. My
    point was how much the blastic crap alone is keeping heat inside and how little effort/change on the setup you can reduce noise to none existing and still keep
    very cool hardware. If you consider 99% of people here uses stock set just because 3rd party solutions costs more and because it just looks better than
    opened up. I'd say my advice above is very damn valid as for people to consider.

It doesn't mean everyone has an alternate solutions on hands like you have 'OC' card I assume you went for alternative cooling right away and not all of
    us even understand how to consider the idea of an altering the bought product.

16. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    Fans and zip ties make the world go round! :)

17. thehippo

thehippo Member

GPU:
    Radeon VII
    @TwL
    what do you have cooling the VRMs? For me thats the problem area, because with the reference fan it doesn't really get any airflow.

18. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    With an EK waterblock my card is 21C idle and 33C at full load.
    I need another rad now, since the CPU temp went a tiny bit up.

19. MadTom

MadTom Member

GPU:
    XFX 5850 1GB
    This seems to be the right choice for 5850 cooling (wanna buy one myself, but can't even get them here in Croatia, and international orders with taxes and custom clearance are just to much):
    http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=385

It has included a cooler that fits the VRM's on reference design boards.

For "just" VRM cooling in combination with other GPU coolers people say this is a very good solution:
    http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/vga/vrm/product_vga_cooler_r5.html

20. offmarsboy

offmarsboy Member

GPU:
    HD5850 @ 850/1200mhz
    hey twl im having some scale problems with the new drivers, anytime i boot the pc i need to put the scaling option right i dont know why but it dont save the profile