Divinity Original Sin - Best RPG since Ultima VII?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by PearlChoco, Apr 28, 2014.

1. PearlChoco

PearlChoco Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 570 DirectCU II
    It's shocking how few people have even heard about this title, but Divinity: Original Sin looks like it's going to be one of the best RPG's created since Ultima VII! (1992)

Everyone seems to be waiting for Torment 2, Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Dragon Age 3 but from everything I've seen and heard, Divinity OS is my number one candidate for RPG of the year.

For those who don't know about it: while they had almost finished the game, they took it to kickstarter where 20.000 backers funded almost 1.000.000$ and now it has arrived on Steam early access.

The game is a spiritual successor to Ultima VII and will be released in june. You really should check out these vids.

(I'm not affiliated with the dev, I'm just hyped by this game :) )

http://youtu.be/HevrTza0Nxg
    http://youtu.be/QpGreHdZgOg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Looks ok, but imo these games need to be hand drawn. Watched the youtube vids and it looks a bit sterile imo. I'll keep my eyes on this though, I do like a good rpg

3. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Isnt this like an early access game? Ill wait till its done, IF it ever gets done.

4. plywood99

plywood99 Guest

I've been playing since early access. It's shaping up quite well. Very old school feel to it which is not a bad thing at all.

5. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I have a Divinity game but looks nothing like this. It's like a 3rd person skyrim but crappy. Didn't like it at all.
    But this one looks interesting. I like isometric view games but wee bit on the cartoony side for my tastes.

6. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
  7. Riffmaster

Riffmaster Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 Lightning Extreme
    Looks nice. Looks like Neverwinter Nights 2 to me. Will definitely look out for it! :D

8. PearlChoco

PearlChoco Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 570 DirectCU II
    On first sight, it looks like an h&s rpg like Diablo or Sacred, but it's actually a hardcore rpg like Ultima VII or Baldur's Gate with turnbased combat and a focus on story, quests, dialogue and an interactive open world.

Almost any object in the world has stats and can be manipulated, you can play through the campaign in co-op and it has a cool dynamic elements system: water can be frozen or electrified, etc.

It's actually a successor to Divine Dinivity (which was AWESOME); the game has not much in common with Divinity 2 (which was a 3rd person action RPG).

This is right up there in my RPG top 3, with Torment 2 and Witcher 3 :)

9. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Divinity 2? It wasn't that bad, had good and bad aspects. It also predates Skyrim by a couple of years. Either way I'll be keeping an eye on this, but I'm more interested in Pillars of Eternity and Torment.

10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I loved the original Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity wasn't that bad after it got patched (To remove StarForce for one thing.) Divinity 2 had a rough start but the complete edition they released with the expansion fixed much of those issues (Was released too early since the publisher pushed for it or something.) though it plays differently to the original isometric games.

This one goes back to that playstyle although also adding stuff like co-op and other things, still retains many of the features from Divine Divinity (And Beyond Divinity.) so I've really enjoyed even the early alpha builds (Kickstarter backer.) and now the recent beta build updates have improved things even further so I'm looking forward to seeing it released. :)

Wasteland 2 is also shaping up nicely and Project Eternity is nearing beta I think so that will be really fun to test, Torment I don't know much about though I did back that too.
    (Not really backed much via Kickstarter otherwise, Kingdom Come Deliverance being the only other title, was thinking about Outcast HD if they reached some of the stretch goals but they've not hit the main goal of 600.000 yet and only eight days or so remain.)

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm very interested in this game but I'm sick and fed up of seemingly every new release on Steam being a paid beta...sorry, I mean early access, so I will be waiting for the final release before dipping my toes.

12. PearlChoco

PearlChoco Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 570 DirectCU II
  13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Looking forward to continuing with the game (Or well starting over again since compatibility won't be maintained from beta to full.) just hoping that there won't be too many issues with the areas outside of the available beta content. :p
    (It's a Larian game so some bugs are to be expected I suppose but we'll see, it was delayed once already so I'm not that worried.)

14. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    I loved Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga. But zero interest in this one as they've changed the core combat mechanic and I don't play games with point and click combat.

15. Turbo Brian

Turbo Brian Guest

GPU:
    980ti SLI
    I picked this up the other day on steam while it was on sale for 20% off (devs said that was the lowest it would be in the sale). I'll say up front im not an rpg gamer. ive not played fallout games, baldurs gate games, ultima games, etc. Diablo3 was my first taste of an rpg (yes, its an arpg and divinity is a crpg). ive only played this about two hours so far but im really digging it. the level of detail is quite amazing. its a much more detailed and realized world compared to D3, my only real comparison. its also very complex so im still learning all the nuances of this kind of game like what all the 5 billion stats/traits/skills, etc actually mean but its a nice change of pace from what i normally play. i plan to play it mostly coop with a buddy which should be fun.

16. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Divinity was originally a isometric RPG. The core mechanics are going back to the original.

17. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Yep I know.

18. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Played the intro of a beta version, liked it a lot, wish I had bought it on sale but they're not ruling out a sale on release.

Will get it for sure.

19. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Agreed, DKS is one of my all-time favorites. I liked the combat better than any other RPG I have played.

This, however...meh, not so much, pass.

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Got it last night from a key site, was about £16 which is a decent price. Will play some tonight, it looks awesome.