i5 3570K vs Phenom II x4 965

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by finster, May 10, 2013.

1. finster

finster Member

GPU:
    EVGA Gefore GTX 560 TI
    If I bought an intel MB and a 3570K CPU, how much of an upgrade would it be over my Phenom II 965? I've only ever built AMD machines and Intel is a mystery to me. :) The phenom is currently $95 on newegg and the i5 is $220, so I'm guessing the i5's got to be WAY better, right?

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I made that upgrade a while ago. It's basically no contest between the two in any sort of comparison. The Phenom is still adequate for most applications, but there's no reason to get it anymore in my opinion.

3. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    Its probably about 40-60% faster in some cpu intensive tasks if you do a good oc on it. If you are gpu limited already in a game you wont get much boost and with a 5850 i wouldnt expect a big boost in most demanding games. I would recommend a new gpu and maybe wait till haswell is out. Have you overclocked your 965?

4. angmar

angmar Guest

As others have said an even from my own experience it is well worth it. I went from a phenom ii x4 to a core i5 760 and even that was a pretty good upgrade let alone a 2500k or 3570k. Once you get a faster GPU the upgrade will pay off even more...if you get one.

5. finster

finster Member

GPU:
    EVGA Gefore GTX 560 TI
    No OCing, never been much for it.I am due for a new video card but I'm going to hold on to my 560ti for a while longer, there aren't really any games I want to play that it can't do decently enough.

Thanks for the help guys, I think I'll definitely go for the i5 when it's time to buy. I mainly want intel now due to the much lower wattages, if they are performing that much better also, I'm going to be very happy. :)