Borked GPU or Drivers?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Alexraptor, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Well I got a brand new GTX 660 Ti today, and I was really happy about it.
    But now I'm less than thrilled.

It worked just great for several hours.
    But now suddenly I keep having my computer freeze and a brief black screen and this completely at random:

"Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version 310.90 has stopped working and recovered"

It happened several times whil i was running 3Dmark vantage, but its also ended up happening like every 3-5 minutes when doing nothing but browsing the web.
    And idle temps were nice and cool around 33c at the time.
    When it does work it runs just fine, no anomalies, performance drops, artifacting, just the random crashing of drivers.

When my GTX 470 was in and running the 310.90 drivers it ran just fine without incident.

And to try and rectify the situation I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers twice, wiping every trace of them from the system in between.

So anyone know what this is about? Do I have a bust GPU or is this a driver issue?
    And if so, what can I do about it?

2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Thats usually the sort of error I get when I OC clocks too high, and slightly worse with 310.90. Try 310.70 drivers and re-run 3dmark. Also check Asus product page and see if they released any updated bios for your card.

3. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    If you use stock speeds (OC edition/version = not enable manually OC) on GPU then... please do NOT change speeds/voltages!

If your videocard is bad/abnormal then you may get RMA. My GTX 480 is 100% normal. :D

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  4. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    I think its GPU. :(
    I tried with multiple different drivers back to the 306.97's and it still didn't change.
    And the crashing got progressively worse to the point where the system could not recover and rebooted.

Put back my old GTX 470 and it runs as fine as its done for years.

Just so wierd, it ran fine for the first 5 hours and then turned into a crashing monster.

5. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    GTX 660Ti is still abnormal. lool
    GTX 470 is normal but it's "temped" until GTX 660Ti replaced/RMA. :)

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Your card is not a TOP version by chance is it?

7. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    No, its the standard reference clocked version.

8. Heinous

Heinous Guest

GPU:
    GTX 660 Ti
    Would love to hear if you've had any luck with this one.

Im currently in the process of troubleshooting the same issue, and theres a hundred different possible fixes out there - none of which have worked for me so far.

I originally had the issue just after i bought the GPU and ended up having to underclock it - recently the issues happened again despite MSI underclocking the card - my issue is identical to yours.
    From here Ive uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, tried changing the windows TLDR (timeout delay which causes the black screen), reinstalled windows, checked all my drivers sets (was suggested the chipset drivers may need it- false), reseated everything, rolled back to older drivers, ensured all windows updates and software up to date, check temperatures (all we fine at idle and under load).

One thing that did come to mind was a week leading up to the issue, when i would leave a game i would see the windows option on the screen to turn the desktop display into low power mode.

Unsure how this directly relates as im running a 750W PSU and my PC is under minimal strain.

Going to be testing my rig with a friends older video card just to rule out the card itself (doubtful as ive tried it on another device that functioned fine).

Let me know if you come up with anything on this one! Ill do the same.

9. Cnstntgrdnr

Cnstntgrdnr Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury
    Most likely a borked GPU by the sound of it. Had the exact same issues with my first gtx 670. Nothing worked. The card eventually faulted to the point where I couldn' t boot into desktop.

I was quick to blame the psu as well because it was getting old but the new one didn' t have any effect. A week later it died as well...bad luck I suppose. Anyway, I suggest you go for RMA. Also try the card on another pc but from the research I did on the subject, these issues are 99% related to the GPU itself. Best of luck