Do you guys use vsync?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Saifz, Mar 6, 2011.

?

Do you use vsync?

1. If yes why?

191 vote(s)
    62.0%
  2. If No why?

117 vote(s)
    38.0%
  1. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    No problem to me Boss but I doubt he can keep quiet as that is all he does in each thread ! ;)

2. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    Seems a bit harsh.

I played a game called prey a few years ago, its a single player. Upon loading the game first time I experienced the worst screen tearing I have ever seen. It was so bad I tried using ATI's vertical refresh, and although I had no screen tearing, my mouse was as responsive as a sloth on valium.

I had two option therefore. Play the game (fps) and not be able to hit the enemy before they hit me, or play with screen tearing.

I played with the tearing, and I enjoyed the game anyway.

As for being booted out, hmm well I speak for my self, and I am of the opinion that responsive mouse movement is a must, since I mostly play fps games.

3. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Yep, I play online FPS mostly. So Vsync is out for me.

Usually set render ahead to 0 or 1 also.

4. King Kong

King Kong Member

GPU:
    GTX Titan
    Benchmarks: w/o Vsync.
    Games: w/ Vsync.

Damn simple.

5. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    so i see you dont play first person shooters in multiplayer...:bang:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  6. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I play fps in muitiplayer and I have no issues with kicking arse with it on.But to say some one dont play muitiplayer fps because they use vsync is silly.

7. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    ^ I agree. I can imagine how it would be mostly aimbotters saying that. lol

8. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i never seen a con or pro to either in games myself other than the fact that if my FPS goes too high, i get capacitor whine on my video card. Vsync helped that a lot and is the only reason i started to use it.

9. Mike Z

Mike Z Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Other than benchmarking, what actual reason would I need to see more than 60 FPS ?

I've been using VSYNC for almost a decade now. I never consider playing a game without VSYNC. It doesn't make sense. Games are designed to play at a certain framerate and most are designed to run at 60, soo.. plus, the screen tears without it. That looks like ****.

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    VSync can, and does cause mouse lag, so if your a competitive MP FPS player then it may be an issue, and i understand that, and don't think its them thinking they can see more frames than their monitor can display.

Personally, even when i do get round to playing a FPS online, i still have it enabled, gaming is meant to be fun, if i started getting too concerned with "WINNING" all the time, it would stop being fun to me, plus i can't handle inconsistent framerates, drives me mad.

11. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    so i guess you dont play fps in multiplayer either...i guess you´ll never understand.Read this whole thread and you´ll get your answer from experienced fps MP gamers. :biggun:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  12. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    even with 60hz LCD cars in LFS goes smoother at 120+fps than they go at 60fps vsynched

is it more frames on display i dont know, but its smoother allrite (unless ur bothered with tearing ofc)

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Can't say i agree, tbh i very much disagree.

With racing games especially, a stable framerate will always look smoother, and tearing makes games very stuttery as hell to me, but all personal preference i guess.

I had a friend who was on my PC shout me and tell me my framerate kept dropping down while he was playing Left 4 Dead i turned on fraps and it was actually well over 100fps, turned on vsync and he said it looked much smoother.

14. MegaBear

MegaBear Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    Yes! Cuz i'm a FPS player

15. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    im replying again because i believe after you read this you´ll understand:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/100120-25-vsync-source

So if you play in a server with a good tick rate and you limit your fps to less than the max frames the server can get from you, you will get what we call of " mouse lag".This means that, if you want to play and get the most frames from the server you should use a 120hz monitor+v-sync on(for no tearing), because 100 fps gives you a smoother gameplay, or just use v-sync off.

This happens in all of the multiplayer fps ive played, at this moment im having fun in crysis 2 demo and i can tell for sure that with v-sync on i am much slower shooting my enemys.

notes:

http://www.counter-strike.com/faqs/tickrate/

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011

16. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    It's a nice feature, but it rapes performance and flat out isn't playable with some games. So no, I don't use it. I'm one of those people that likes "all or nothin". So if a few games don't work well with it I just use none. I don't usually notice tearing anyway. I only enable it if a game tears horribly (like some old titles).

17. ragtag

ragtag Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980 SLI
    Prefer Vsync on. I hate tearing and playing DCS simulators using trackir it's a must.

18. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    I like too vsync enabled because I get never tearing and pure-smooth(=fluid). :D
    vsync off is for BENCHMARK. ;)

19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    also for source games ? i feel games have mouse pure smoothness with Vsync OFF :D

20. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    I don't worry despite mouse lag. not pure-smooth but yes much smooth for mouse running no vsync.

I may not enable triple buffering despite fix mouse lag because triple buffering may kill VRAM.