OCZ Agility 3 120GB

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Cross99, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Cross99

Cross99 Guest

GPU:
    560 Ti Hawk
    I'm planning to get the Agility 3 120GB. I want suggestions/opinions on 2 points:

1. The Vertex 3 will cost me about $50 more which I do not wish to spend. Is the difference too huge to justify spending these 50 to 60 bucks on the Vertex 3?
    2. A quick browse through this forum and many others shows some issues with SandForce controllers.. Is the issue corrected via a firmware upgrade?

Thanks

2. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    1)
    Depends on how anal you are. In benchmarks, you can tell them apart. But as a user, it's all the same (eg. app loads in 6.2 vs 6.3 seconds... big deal)

Keeping that in mind, a crucial M4 will cost less per gigabyte, and it's just as hard to tell apart from all the other fast drives (and it avoids the sandforce 'issues' that some people have).

2)
    Firmware corrects the problems for some people, and not for others.

I've also read comments where some people RMA a drive over and over, and their system simply refuses to work with X drive, regardless of whatever firmware version available.
    But that isn't sandforce specific - I've seen comments like this about basically every drive make/model that I've bothered to read up about.

You just gotta roll the dice.
    Worst that can happen is you have to RMA or return a drive. Life goes on.

These days, with SSDs, always keep a HDD backup of your stuff.
    Too many stories of drives just dropping dead out of nowhere.

That said, so what. Most people will be fine. Deal with it if it happens. Otherwise, enjoy.

-scheherazade

3. Jonny Manc

Jonny Manc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA 3080 LHR
    I had the Agility 3 for a couple of weeks and had nothing but trouble (lag, BSOD etc) so I RMA'd and got a Crucial M4 which is great....so I bought another and RAIDed em up lol.

The issues may be fixed, but I cant recommend the M4 highly enough!

4. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Yeah...

I just moved to SSD.
    I read the piss out of this stuff before ordering.

From what I've seen across a bunch of forums and product reviews :
    The least amount of people complain about intel.
    A little bit more complain about marvell (crucial).
    A bunch cry about sandforce.

And for every drive that people cry about, there's other people that chime in with : "I've been fine, It must be your fault".
    It's very hard to predict how things will go for you (Unless you have a known issue, like OSX and the M4 not getting along).

Hell, look at newegg, and compare the number of 5 stars vs 1 stars for any given drive that has a LOT of them purchased.
    It's quite telling.

That said, Intel's are expensive.
    Hard to justify a premium on reliability when any other drive could be perfectly reliable too. You just don't know the future. It's very ethereal.
    :shrug:

So far I have ordered (all sata 3 (6gig/s)) : C300, M4, a sandforce 25nm, and a few sandforce 35nm.

Here's a note on real-world performance :
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4341/ocz-vertex-3-max-iops-patriot-wildfire-ssds-reviewed/3

They're basically all the same once you're using them, so I think the decision comes down to value more than blanket price or blanket [benchmark] performance.

It's hard to make a value judgement.
    I picked drives just on the gut feeling I have from reading forums and reviews, and hope - hope that I don't have issues and I can make out well on the whole affair.

I'm worried that the sandforce will have issues, and I expect the crucial to be smooth sailing. I'm mentally bracing for 2 or so RMA's on the sandforce drives (I have the worst luck, if there's something that can go wrong, I'll happen to me).

Anyways, I have a good spread of drives. I hope it'll give me some experience, and if I have better luck with one or the other, I'll at least know it.

I'll definitely post up what issues (if any) that I have, so folks can know.

-scheherazade

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011

5. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    I had issues with my agility 3, it seems like the 2.09 update may have fixed them (6 days no issues since update) but won't be 100% for another week or two stable.

6. Cross99

Cross99 Guest

GPU:
    560 Ti Hawk
    Thanks guys..
    Sorry for the late reply..

Just bought the OCZ Agility3 120GB a week ago. No nasty surprises till now but the thing runs fast!

Will keep you updated as and when things develop.

7. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Crucial is not Marvell, though. It's Micron.

Just out of curiosity by the way, how many people complain about Corsair? lol