New Xbox might have 8-core CPU, 8GB ram and Windows 8 kernel

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Even if it had 100 cores, if the GPU is weak it still sucks.

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I can see the W8 kernel but 8 cores I doubt it won't need that with as weak as the GPU will be.

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    cant wait to see it in action. looking really forward to it. hopefully with Halo5

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Where does it say the GPU will be weak?

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Before everyone starts freaking out about the CPU not existing yet, its because its not supposed to exist yet. Microsoft probably has the APU heavily modified so you can't run another OS on it. Also it being 8 cores might be overkill but we don't know what kind of cores they are. AMD is looking into ARM, so there could be 4 ARM cores and 4 x86 for all we know. That might be overkill for gaming now but that's because the current Xbox doesn't need that much.

As for anyone who has been hating or disappointed in AMD lately, if the arch they make for MS is anything similar to piledriver, we may be seeing games perform better on the AMD products rather than intel. Some benchmarks showed AMDs stuff being faster, but the problem is no programs are optimized for their ideas.

7. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    depends what hybrid they place in the box, if it will be based on the hd8k i believe will be really fast, this should be a true next gen xbox. But they are all rumors and we are just speculating.

also i'll be happy to see a 8 core cpu in the console, because that means they are going for multithreaded games finally, that means that even ports will have the same multithread code.

8. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I doubt it'll be x86 based seeing how Microsoft didn't want to repeat what happened to them with the original XBOX. It'll likely be an AMD GPU seeing how they had a really strained relationship with NVIDIA during the original XBOX.

EDIT: Seeing the success of the XBOX 360 relationship, it'll likely be an IBM-based CPU.

deltatux

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  9. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    It doesn't, but people here don't seem to understand that you can't put a GTX680 or HD7980 in a console. There is absolutely no need for it.

10. shmikes240

shmikes240 Guest

GPU:
    Amd Sapphire 7970 3gb
    There is no way those specs are right

At most I would say that they will use 4 gb of ram. Also I agree with the other posts they will most definitely be using a low end graphics card due to the fact that nobody will spend a $1000 plus dollars on a console. An 8 core cpu would be overkill for a console they would be smarter if they got a cheaper cpu and spent more on a graphics card.

11. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    The graphic card doesn't have to be dirt cheap, it could be just as expensive by the console. MS will be buying in bulk and so logically it would be miles cheaper than us buying 1 GPU.

12. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    No need for it, no one will pay for it, it's pointless, and who cares.

Lets pretend for a moment they even put like a 580 equivalent in a next-gen console. Your PC won't be able to play those games at that quality for years. These people are delusional.

13. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    8-cores probably is not a far off estimate when you think about it.

Nowhere does it say 8 physical cores, so a Quad-Core with some form of Hyper Threading for 4 extra logical cores could be another guess.

Also, if it is 8 physical cores, at what clock speed? They could be going for an 8 physical core CPU with hyper threading for 16 total cores (8 physical and 8 logical) but clock each core much slower than you would think. Might even be as low as 2 GHz. If the architecture is fast enough then this could lead to some very aggressive multi-threaded games.

You also have to think of heat and power consumption. They are going to want to make a small console as this is what everyone is getting accustomed to. Also heat will be an issue if they slap in 8 physical cores and clock them upwards of 3 GHz+

You also have to look at the amount of cache available to each core as well, and what fabrication it will be built on. They will want high yields to bring costs down. So a 45nm or 32nm process is probably where its at, I don't think they could get 22nm yields out that quickly, but this depends on how long they have been working on it.

Also the amount of RAM even for me is a little over the top. Unless they are going to throw in a full desktop version of W8 I do not see the need for 8GB at all! Although this could be shared memory and people could be combining the total system memory with the GPU memory so a 6GB system and 2GB VRAM would probably be the best bet. But even this is still over the top for solely gaming.

Time will tell, its fun to speculate, but whilst we do that lets be calm and wait for E3 it won't be long now :)

14. JoseyWales

JoseyWales Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 2GIG
    Keep in mind that the 360 has been around for 7 years or so. 8 cores is nothing more than their way of keeping the 720 viable for years to come. Not much use for 8 cores now but years down the road it will help to extend the life of the product.

15. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    That's one too many 8s

16. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    if it's 8core it still will be faster than i7 3770k even 4770k that matters

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yes because cores is all that matters when it comes to processors.

18. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    This.
    As far as I know, having multiple cores makes it easier for the developers to assign specific tasks (like physics) to one core specifically.

19. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    There's been some discussion on other forums if the CPU will be based on AMD Jaguar. The Xbox might reserve one or two cores for the OS and background tasks, leaving six or seven cores for the games.
    And the good part is that these cores would be put to use in a console:). Hopefully the games would be better multithreaded on the PC as well.

I don't think a GPU based on/similar to the HD 8000 series is out of the question either. We are most likely looking at a Q4 2013 release at the earliest. The 360 did get a GPU with similarities to the HD 2000 series. I'm expecting the GPU to be comparable to a HD 8750 or HD 8770.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  20. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    not really look at amd fx 8350 "8 core" it gets whoop by an i7 3770k.