AMD Overclocking Guide

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Psychlone, Jul 18, 2008.

1. pogostickio

pogostickio Master Guru

GPU:
    DannyD's GTX 1080ti
    From overclockers.co.uk I bought a hardware bundle including a Phenom II 550 BE @ 3.6ghz. I unlocked the disabled cores and re-enabled the overclock (slowly climbing) back upto 3.6ghz. It's been working fine for months at 48c, according to the TMPIN1 temp monitor.

:)

2. northy84

northy84 Master Guru

GPU:
    sapphire 6970 stock atm
    @ pogo

thats sweet! what cooler are you using to keep it at 48?

@meltmanbob

you have any pics of your rig i would love to see them sounds like a couple sweet mods.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  3. pogostickio

pogostickio Master Guru

GPU:
    DannyD's GTX 1080ti
  4. northy84

northy84 Master Guru

GPU:
    sapphire 6970 stock atm
    nice, thats a seemingly awesome cooler. i like the low noise fan on it.

@ anyone who knows!

i have run prime for 23 hours and somewhere in there my antivirus crashed... does this mean bad overclock? or was this maybe just a random bad code and it might just be "avast" problem not cpu? nothing else seems to be screwing up, my temps are in check, my voltages are low enough, really confused at this.

i know i left the AMD team but i hope you wont hold it against me :D. i still have a few AMD CPU's laying around here.

5. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    More than likely a random Avast issue, but I would be for testing each individual stick with Memtest86+ just to make sure it's not actually a hardware problem.
    After determining if it's hardware or not, then you can move on to a clean Windows install.

Where you've passed Prime for 23 hours, it's pretty safe to say it's not your overclock, but there *may* be a bad stick that only throws errors at a certain point - more than likely though, it's just an Avast problem.

You can check your logs to see what caused the crash - if it's addressing or a driver-fault, then it's possibly one of your sticks or the Windows install itself.

Psychlone

6. northy84

northy84 Master Guru

GPU:
    sapphire 6970 stock atm
    crap i hope its not windows this is a fresh install on this new build. i'll ceck the logs. i actually just got my ram back from RMA, at which time i ran memtest but at stock speeds. now my qpi (fsb kinda) is way overclocked and my ram is actually underclocked by about 60MHz. i think my memory controller is overclocked lol. this intel architecture is a little bit foreign to me so im really not too sure yet what affects what via the memory side. still no bluescreens no other crashes, been playing lots of games like starcraft2 and bad company 2.

thanks for the help

7. MeltManBob

MeltManBob New Member

GPU:
    ATI onboard 3200
    I think I have some pics, they're uploaded but I don't have any online photo albums to link from. The switch with the light is the secondary power button, the flip switch switch is my Cmos reset. The other pic is the just showing the extra fans in the middle of the case.

8. allankorea

allankorea Guest

GPU:
    msi gtx 460 cyclone oc
    Hi guys I'm new to th forum any help would be appreciated.
    This is what I have:
    1055T CPU,Gigabyte M68mt-d3 mobo,4GB DD3 Samsung 1333 RAM, MSI gtx 460 1GB Cyclone OC version, 500 Watt PSU (NO Name), Transformer 4 Evercool CPU cooler 500 GB Seagate HDD What is the best way to overclock CPU - I know that the mobo is crap any ideas?

9. Dissentience

Dissentience Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5850 1GB
    Always overclock from the BIOS. Increase the multiplier a little at a time and test for stability. Increase voltage in small increments (10-20mV at a time) to increase stability. I would really recommend getting a better power supply first though. There is nothing more important than a good power supply. Get a name brand power supply, at least 650 watts.

10. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I could never figure out why people would post questions like allankorea (and many others have throughout the length of this thread).

This thread in itself has EVERY possible answer that a person would need to learn overclocking AMD systems. It's left literally nothing out, and works for every generation of AMD chips from the old AthlonXP all the way up to the current gen 6-core processors.

The only reason I can think of for a person to ask how to begin overclocking their AMD platform in a thread like this one, is because they failed to read the very first post - the one that explains EVERYHTING about overclocking AMD systems. (or they want someone to do it for them)

If someone needs extra advice or help, I'm clearly not above giving them the answers they seek (go back through the thread and see where I've helped people figure out their issues), but to just ask how to overclock IN the overclocking thread, well... you get the picture.

@ allenkorea: If you'd like, please read the first post in this thread - it should explain everything you need to know in explicit detail. If, however, you feel as though you need help, please don't hesitate to ask right here in this thread - but be prepared to ask questions in an intelligent manner (i.e. please don't ask "h0w do I 0verclox my AMD plz? k thnx)
    Reading through the very first post in this thread will answer almost every question that could possibly arise - and failing that, I'm positive any question that's not been thoroughly explained in the first post, has been explained and regurgitated at least a couple more times throughout the rest of the thread, and even then, I totally understand when people don't quite get it - they've not heard it in just the right way for it to sink in for them, which is fine... that's why I'm still here, answering questions and always trying to figure out new ways to say the same things...

Good luck, and do post back if/when you have questions.

Psychlone

11. cupper24

cupper24 Guest

GPU:
    HIS 6950 2GB (860/1300)
    Wow! It's good to see this thread is still thriving. I threw my old set-up from the "glory days" back together over the weekend.

You know, the old A8R32-MVP and the x2 4800 chip. I went back and read through all the OC stuff posted here, and found all those copious notes that I jotted down through the whole process. Must say, it has been, to date, the most fun I've ever had applying the scientific method to something NOT work related.

I'm about to pass that system on to my brother, so I'm getting it ready to hand over (new OS install, tweaking, re-configuring fans, tidying up the wiring, and all that good stuff). All I've got to say is he better take care of it! I feel defensive like I'm handing over one of my kids. It's funny when you dust something off from a few years back, you remember all the time and energy you put into it, and I almost would rather give up my current system and keep the old one, LOL!

In any case, I thought I'd shake off the dust here and thank everyone that helped out again! Good times peeps...

@ Psychlone - Hey man, it has been too long! Looks like you've hit it big with all that NDA *hush *hush stuff ;) . I also noticed we are sporting the same case these days. I modded the crap out of mine as well. Just curious what you've done to yours... Will your NDA expire anytime soon, so we can know what's "under the hood?"

Hope all is well these days, bro!

cupper24

12. ONE 2 NV

ONE 2 NV Guest

GPU:
    MSI Radeon HD 5770

Great Tut...

13. Tranceholic

Tranceholic Banned

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 570 Fermi
    hi new to overclocking here

i can't seem to get past 214 because it won't boot up to bios, does that mean i have to up the (default) cpu voltage?

[​IMG]

14. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    @traceholic, why not simply change your multiplier since your CPU has an unlocked multiplier. It's much better for overclocking beginners since it only changes the CPU frequency and not anything else. The base clock changes CPU, RAM, Northbridge and the HyperTransport links. Any one of these may cause instability in OC and must be fine tuned slowly to find stability.

deltatux

15. xbl4ckc0d3x

xbl4ckc0d3x Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE/5870/2GB
    Thanks for the Tutorial was very helpful I am a noob and was very easy for me to OC my new rig.

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hey slightly OT, but do you know what LLC is for?
    I have it disabled atm, but as this is my first AMD board idk what it does..

17. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    Which Bank for Installing RAM?

Today I replaced an OCZ3RPR16002G 2x2GB set of memory with a Mushkin 997000 2x4GB set. I am pleased that the Mushkin runs at its rated parameters (at least so far after an hour of testing), something that I was never able to get the OCZ to do.

Because of my Zalman CPU cooler neither the OCZ nor the Mushkin modules will fit in bank 1 of the Asus M4A79T Deluxe. The M4A79T Deluxe manual states "It is recommended to install the memory modules from the orange slots [i.e. bank 1] for better overclocking capability." The orange slots are the ones closest to the CPU socket. Asus marks the orange slots A1 and B1 and the black slots (where my memory is) A2 and B2.

However under the section Memory Performance tuning – AM3 / DDR3 the AMD “Dragon” Platform Technology Performance Tuning Guide says "The DIMM slots furthest away from the CPU socket should be equipped first (usually marked as DIMM slot 2&3
    or A2&B2)."

Using two DIMM's which bank is correct to populate? Which bank is recommended? (Again, I have no choice, unless I replace my cooler.) Why, I wonder, do Asus and AMD make different recommendations?

Forgive me if the answer is in this thread somewhere. I have read a lot of the sticky but so far not all 42 pages.

18. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Load Line Calibration is used to normalize the interference so that it doesn't affect the integrity of the CPU. However, it affects your system's performance and shouldn't be enabled unless you live in an environment that has a lot of interference and you're running mission critical applications.

It's basically useless for most home users.

deltatux

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Tbh you won't notice the difference, either one is OK. Not sure why dragon recommended that, A1/B1 is closer to the CPU so technically data should get from RAM-CPU faster...

I think you might be talking about Spread Spectrum.....?

20. deefop

deefop Member Guru

GPU:
    HiS 7870 + Asus 7870 CF
    Wondering if anyone can help me with this...
    I'm running an Asus M4A87TD/USB3 motherboard and a phenom II x3 BE 740.
    I've read this entire guide multiple times and I don't have any problem overclocking using the CPU multiplier(obviously because it's simple). I can take my cpu to 3.6ghz and be totally stable and have very reasonable temperatures even during very heavy gaming load.
    But I decided to try overclocking with the CPU bus speed as well to see if I could push the frequency higher and also get the added benefit of faster memory.
    So the first part of the guide says to drop your HT link, CPU multi, and RAM divider to their lowest settings. I did this(I think). My cpu multi is at 4.0, cpu bus speed is 200(default), and HT link speed is 200. Then it says to increase the bus speed in 5-10 mhz increments until the system won't post. But I can't even get to POST with the lowest settings! Just leaving all the settings at those very low speeds causes my system to not POST, and after I power all the way down and then back on it will say "overclocking failed" and take me to the bios to change settings around.

I'm so confused as to what I'm doing wrong... how can I get my system to 3.6ghz without a problem but trying to boot at really lower speeds doesn't work?