Intel Core i7 4790 processor review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 11, 2014.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I wouldn't risk the lottery if your 4770K can go past 4,5 GHz below 1.3 volts.

2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Fair comment.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    That's true, but that all becomes theoretical performance in the end. The reason x86 doesn't really stray beyond 8 total threads is because most users can't do anything with more than that. Software needs to be designed to work with all of those cores. As long as a realtime task (such as a game) is still capable of maxing out a core, adding more cores is not the solution. Sure, the software at hand could just be very poorly optimized, but so are most programs it seems, and I guess that means the hardware must compensate (even though it shouldn't HAVE to). Look at architectures like SPARC T5 and you can get 128 threads under 1 package. That's pretty impressive.

I feel like what needs to be done is some sort of new hardware instruction that somehow automatically manages to divide a single-threaded task among multiple cores simultaneously. Logically, I don't know how this would be doable, but I'm sure if enough minds were put together it could be done.

4. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    I am still waiting for the X99 Mobo/DDR4 along with Haswell-E based cpu, are they coming out soon??

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Last time I checked its due sometime around August - September.

Not much said here in this article, other then its due H2 2014 instead of 2015.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7874/haswelle-8-cores-x99-ddr4

Maybe middle July, but I think that will be 4790K month, like it was with 4770K last year, July 2013.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    REALLY for once Would love to see first gen i7 compared to current i7 not just cpus from the last year

7. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    If they did that, it would look really, really bad for Intel, especially ever since 2600K. :p

8. Deathshadegr

Deathshadegr Guest

GPU:
    Hello Guys , Nice Review !

i want some suggestions if it is possible about this CPU

currently my PC is 5 years old the only new upgraded things is an SSD and a 760 GTX Phantom by Gainward .

i wanted to know if u can recommend this CPU for gaming specialy .

Atm my current CPU is an i7 920 @ 2.66
    with a Triple channel DDR3 Ram on 6 GB

i am thinking to upgrade and CPU and Mobo and Ram's
    and i am thinking to not waste more than 600 Euros

but i am not know if i need to get 4770k or 4790

the only thing that concers me is the high price of 4770 k :/

so what u will suggest me ?

PS : i am dont care about overclocking . i am kind on online gamer playing specially MMO's and i have problems with FPS , i wanted to upgrade since my SSD is Sata 3 and my mobo can handle only Sata 2 and also my Vga is PCIe 3.0 and my Mobo can handle 2.0 :/

9. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    If I were in your spot I would get the 4790K (when it comes out, and if that is what it's called) along with a decent z97 mobo and ram. But since you don't want to OC you can go straight for the 4790, good bang for your buck all arround and I think you can get that in 600 euros limit, it depends on how fancy a mobo you want to be +/- ~600.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    They havent had competition in so long it dont matter much, Which besides the point 1st Gen Vs Current Gen should always been in the charts Again not everyone uprades ever year cause again there is no point.

11. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    It's not crappy thermal paste, its the physical GAP between the CPU core and the IHS that they try to "bridge" with a large glob of chunky thermal goo.

When I got my i5-4670K, I used the "Vise+Hammer" method, which by the way is MUCH LESS stressful than the old razor blade routine, I cleaned everything and applied a super thin layer of compound to the bare core, then put the heat spreader back on and locked it into the motherboard socket... and there was absolutely NO CONTACT between the two. I guess that explained why my load temps were in the 90'c range @ 4ghz.

So I ended up lapping both the underside "rim" of the IHS so it would sit lower and make contact and I also lapped the opposite side so it would make better contact with the cooler, then applied a thin layer of liquid metal Coolaboratories Ultra on the core itself before putting the chip and heat spreader in the motherboard socket, and putting a few small dabs of "household goop" rubberized adhesive. This in theory would help keep the IHS from shifting in any way plus I think it would protect the core from damage if I had removed too much material from the underside of the spreader.

I'm now running 4.4ghz @ 1.275v and the highest temp i've seen was just barely over 60'c and it typically idles around 30'c.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    yes when I mentioned IHS I meant that gap :)

I wont delid mine, also planing to sell it later, probably wont have any trouble cause its such a low volts chip ^^,

it has ok temps., apart form them bruteforce avx2 apps. (IBT, Linx, Prime, Aida fpu), x264 bench avx2 doesn't use it so brutal (temps in check), its the max it will ever get imo.

btw im getting those temps now @ 4.7ghz in games (usually 45-55C area, with few spikes to 62-64C on core0), etc only cinebench15 or x264 bench heats it up to ~ 70 -74C on core0 hottest, coldest core3 ~ 60-66C.

although here i was still using 1.280v, now at 1.274v with a little diff. settings :nerd:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  13. KoRn.vs.POD

KoRn.vs.POD Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX 780 SuperJ.
    i`m also waiting for the K processors

14. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Over at the HardOCP forums people are branding the 4790K launch failer worse then the original AMD Bulldozer. People are struggling to hit over 4.6GHz and the 'new' and improved TIM is clearly just as bad and has made zero difference. Could aos be the fabrication process typically during shrinks overclocks tend to drop.

Speaking of AMD seen the OpenCL benchmarks? AMD's leading intel with 20x performance advantage wow.

15. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    TJ do you know what temps should I expect with a similar chip as yours with a H110i or H110? Approximately is good enough also. :p

16. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    The chip isn't even out yet. I'd not believe a word they say until we see official reviews on the 4790K model not the non-K chip.

All these OC'ers are computex are hitting over 6ghz on LN2 and 5.5 ghz on air with a good bin chip.

I won't believe anybody but the source.

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    Still dreaming about that special cherry picked chip? :D

I saw those temps above @ H90 with 2 custom PP fans, H110 would get me at least another 5-7C less..
    Kinda like new thermals in 4790k

So a 4790K at same 1.27v would be 6-8C less by default + another 5C from better cooler.

But once you pass 1.35v+ it looks like mine 1.27v temp. wise.. But yeah better cooler will help, Im also thinking of changing mine, saw one CoolerMaster Nepton 280L v2 with better fans, this could get me to 4.8 - 4.9ghz ~ up to 1.36v for sure :D

Well I saw it can boot @ 5ghz - 1.30v, but bsod by logon xD

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014