Another ? for my 7950

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Ragingun, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    After getting AB set up correctly' I noticed that my GPU is running at only 60% allot of the time even in heavy use like heaven and FC3. WHY? The clocks also jump around even when voltage locked and overclocked from the stock 850 to whatever my overclock is set at. I've got the village lock set in both AB and the Trixx app that came with the Sapphire card. The Trixx is the only way to adjust voltage, AB can't adjust voltage, it's locked.

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    that would explain your low temps. Heaven should stress your gpu to constant 99% in MSIA. Volts will move around slightly, depending on vdroop, assuming you have trixx showing the real voltages.

try creating a profile and then assign in to 3d mode in MSIA. just move the sliders into your desired settings, then save that profile under one of the numbers (1-5), then go settings>profiles and assign that profile to 3d mode.

post back with the results.

It's weird that your gpu is only going 60% in heaven though. try the above though, it's worth a go.

3. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    I'm guessing that's why I'm only getting just over 1,000 on heaven too. There are times that it will jump up to 100% but the majority of the time it's at 60% or so.

Volts are showing right. When I adjust them in Trixx they show changed in AB too add well as clocks.

EDIT: The settings for heaven were at the standard 1600x900 extreme. I guess that's why I feel I should be doing more too. Also, in FC3 I think I should be getting better FPS. When I'm at 1200 res I'm only getting about 30 FPS with no AA.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  4. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Is it possible you have a CPU bottleneck?

5. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    Time for a cpu upgrade. I've been loving the 3570k but I also got a chance to run my cards on an fx 8350 and id have to say that it wasn't too shabby. With that being said that's prolly the only amd cpu out right now worth anything.

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    regardless of his cpu, he should be getting 99% gpu usage under load? did you try what I suggested?

7. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    I doubt that because Heaven barely uses the cpu at all.

[​IMG]

Also his cpu is overclocked to 4 GHz so it should be faster than mine and as I posted in that other thread my results are way better than his.

8. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    Try running the pcie test on gpuz and then go to the sensors tab and see what the gpu usage is.

9. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    I don't think its CPU bottleneck with it at 4ghz. I changed it back to the stock 2.83ghz and got the same results and one would think in a graphics heavy bench that the card would still be stressed.

10. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    I haven't yet, I'm stuck at work for another 6 hours. When you say MSIA do you mean afterburner?

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yes. msia = msi afterburner.

12. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    What card did you have before the 7950?

Did you try increasing powertune to 20%?

13. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    I had a GTX285. I got W8 the same day as my card and did a fresh install with my 7950. I did set my power tune to 20% but it didn't help. I have the voltage lock on in both Trixx and AB.

14. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    This is what I suspected. That's why I asked whether he's bottlenecking. Thanks for confirming it. Never looked at Heaven CPU usage tbh.

Ragingun, what GPU usage are you getting on OCCT, Furmark, or MSI Kombustor?

15. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    Fixed it!!! I didn't have the power limit set to +20% in AB! It doesn't drop below 94% note and I'm getting much higher results along with my temp as you can see doesn't go above 54° after two rounds of heaven. This was at 1190 core clock.

http://imageshack.us/a/img203/2571/img20130309171347.jpg

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    nice. I see your temp is at 53C at that point. so higher than you've been experiencing until now? nice oc btw.

17. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    A little bit higher. Not bad though for that OC. I think I can push it farther too. With no OC it runs at 46.

18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Congrats man! Stop it with the bad luck already!

19. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    That's a good OC man, looks like you have a good chip! :D