AMD Richland Desktop APUs Photo's, launch in June

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 3, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    June is going to be a busy timeframe for technology websites as AMD is to launch their AMD "Richland" APUs based on the the socket FM2 package. There will be three of the first models to ...

AMD Richland Desktop APUs Photo's, launch in June

2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    AMD should have just skipped Richland and just go directly to a Steamroller APU. Richland is just a tweaked Piledriver CPU with GCN graphics...

deltatux

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I agree, although it does seem the Steamroller APU's were bought forward (obviously something just 'clicked' with them in terms of development). I would have thought it be easy to change to Richland, due to it being just a tweaked Piledriver (you could consider it a stepping in some ways), and the graphics is something that just comes easy too (they're 7000 GCN series graphics, under the 8000 label).

Apparently AMD reckons the 8000 series is labelled as such due to the year of introduction, not the technology base, although I believe doing this, like with the OEM HD8000 series (rebadged HD7000 series), will just create confusion. This is especially true if they call the next desktop release GPU's as the HD8000 series, simply because a HD8970 (OEM) has nothing to do with a HD8970, which you may get in an OEM computer!