How good is SLI?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by 007.SirBond, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    I'm sorry... I was reading along, but: :stewpid:

Sold two 670's for an older 480?

Whats a matta wif you?

A 480 is a bit slower than a 660 and you sold both higher end 670's for a 480.. :bang:

If you think that a 480 was worth two 670's, I would've traded...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  2. StealBalls

StealBalls Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    Once they resolved the VSYNC issue with the 680 series I had an absolutely excellent experience.

However next time around when I got Titan SLI, I was stuck on the 314.22 drivers for a very long time, in fact, I never got off them, so I sold that rig and purchased this one, and I am still having an unpleasant experience.

So to conclude, I think SLI is cracking, I think the problem now is actually just Nvidia and there drivers, I may have left AMD at the wrong time, IMO, it has been literally YEARS since there has been such excellent value cards and that is currently in the form of the 7970/7990 cards.

Simply astonishing, at least when compares with like Nvidia cards.

3. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    I don't know about the gram problem but I wouldn't be surprised its caused also by MSI in some twisted way.since I don't use sli r crossfire I lo let you guys find out.

4. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    First time with SLi running 2 GTX 660ti windows 8 I love it a all my games work I was expecting a few problems but got none will defiantly get another sli setup when I eventually need to upgarde

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Too bad ive never had any issues with 680 sli or titan sli with the *terrible* drivers

6. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I'm in the same boat as StealBalls. The only driver that half assed works with my Titan SLI is the 314.14.

7. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Been using sli here since the gtx280 days and mostly it works great in the games i play, could not easily go back to a single card now:)

8. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    It's not good and seems more a gimmick imo. Get a fast single card instead. Less heat, less power consumption, less headaches, more gaming :)

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Gimmick? how so?

10. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    ^ money making scheme, preying on the gamer ego and pocketbook. Good for bragging rights and satisfying the e-peen. Some people like it, but 9/10 the people who know what they're talking about will recommend a fast single card vs SLI or Crossfire of two weaker cards any day of the week.

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    please link me the the 9/10 people who know what they are talking about? bragging rights? nah. having 2 680`s in sli allows me to run much higher setting and fps vs a single card. it is most definatley not e-peen or bragging rights

12. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I disagree my friend. Did you ever try Arma 3, Metro Last Light etc. maxed out at 2560x1600 resolution with just one video card? BF4 would be even tougher at that resolution with one of ANY video card.

13. wasteomind

wasteomind Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
    Agreed. Even in the case of RAGE, sli can be taken advantage of in that the second gpu can be used for gpu transcoding to help load/stream the textures faster.

This statement is dumb. While SLI has a few quirks here and there, it is largely improved over iterations of the past and still clown statements like this appear. Anyone who has SLI, and plenty of reviews out there can confirm that there is a large, and tangible benefit to SLI. It isn't 100% cost effective, but that doesn't make it a scam. Crossfire is noticably worse than SLI. Single vs multiple cards is a personal choice based on tolerance of many factors (minimum fps, microstuttering tolerance, input lag tollerance, game profile management/tinkering to get the best results vs install and go).

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  14. StealBalls

StealBalls Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire

You won't be able to notice.

15. StealBalls

StealBalls Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    This is garbled nonsense.

I absolutely agree it is a money making scheme though - nothing to do with gamer ego though, not for me, it's about them cleverly engineering products with the perfect level of performance to not quite cut it for certain people with regards to frame rates.

This still changes nothing, if you want X frame rate in X game with X setting, you have to buy what you have to buy.

It's not a matter of choice, and that situation was carefully and cleverly manipulated into place by Nvidia over the years.

Now to get high end, you have to buy two cards, at high end prices each.

Everybodys expectations and requirements are different, this has to be considered before making such comments.

My requirements are simple (although not easilly obtained, often near impossible) solid/STABLE 60FPS at 60hz with VSYNC @ 1080p

And with regards to the last part you mentioned, that was an old school thought process when SLI/Crossfire was riddled with problems, now, it's much much better if not perfect in the MAJORITY of games, as such, buying for example, 2x HD7970 Ghz editions would be a far smarter choice than for example, a single 780 - performance is far better than the latter and the exact same, if not quite a bit cheaper actually, price - so that's a big win for too 'WEAKER' cards vs one more powerful.

16. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    SLi is a gimmick?

Try running 2560x1440 on a single GPU with 60FPS on highest details no AA then. Heck, even 1080p in some cases. You'd be more inclined to use AA at 1080p too and that brings performance down again.

Not everything is about e-peen, seriously. That's quite a stretch.

17. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    After upgrading from 680 SLI to 780 SLI I can finally get 60+fps in Crysis 3 (Ultra + tweaks) :banana:

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If he can find that 9/10....I'd be willing to bet that they're running at a fairly low resolution.....or the last time they tried SLI was with a pair of 8600GTs....

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Nonsense Agent has special eyes he can tell the difference between 119fps and 120fps without a frame counter. <\scarcasm>

It's obvious DSparil has never used SLI at least not lately. While his comment is filled with inaccuracies it's obvious he's a bit envious.

20. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    Lol!!!