8GB Memory has any use?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ArCElM, May 8, 2012.

1. ArCElM

ArCElM Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 680 x2 SLi
    Hi,

I just decided to replace my 4GB 2000Mhz PC3 with Crucial 8GB 1866Mhz PC3

Qute frankly I never really ran my Ripjaw above 1800-1900mhz anyway so, question is this, is there really any need for the extra RAM in gaming? or is 4GB enough still.

Also, what about the speed, am I making a mistake? is somebody going to tell me for gaming, I need at least 2000mhz ram speed?

Help me out! as I can still cancel the order.

the 8GB was cheap enough, just is there any point?

2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    8 GB is recommended but is not required for gaming as most games don't use more than 4 GB of RAM since they're 32-bit applications. That's all they can address up to.

What you'll see in the future are 64-bit applications that can take advantage of more RAM. However, since the adoption of 64-bit native apps is very slow, you probably won't see it until 5 years from now maybe.

I have 16 GB which is not necessary but like you, RAM's cheap these days and who knows, I might be able to run more virtual machines and my CPU would be the bottleneck and not because I'm low on RAM.

deltatux

3. ArCElM

ArCElM Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 680 x2 SLi

IS IT? I DID NOT KNOW THAT i HAVE BEEN OUT OF THE PC SCENE A WHILE.

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i cant turn my pagefile off when i play skyrim with loads of mods. 8gb fully used lol :D (wish i had 16gb)

5. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    it is, and please refrain from posting in all caps.

deltatux

6. ArCElM

ArCElM Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 680 x2 SLi
    So are you guys saying getting 8GB it a decent move? my concern is I just wasted 45 quid instead of sticking with my 4GB and running it that bit faster.

7. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Depending on your usage, really.

If you plan on keeping other applications open while you're gaming (e.g. the browser so you can Alt+Tab to GameFAQs), then it's more sensible to have more RAM.
    While it's true that 32-bit applications (as in most games right now) can't use more than 4GB of RAM, they do stack up if you run many apps at once, and that excludes the portion that Windows reserves for its own usage.

If anything, having more RAM gives your OS and applications more breathing room.
    Having 4GB for Windows 7 is like having 1GB for Windows XP; it's enough for most cases, but having more never hurts.
    Yes, it's a lousy comparison, but that's the general idea.

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I have 24gb of spare DIMMs but only use 8. Bough the excess ram for future builds or in case some floods drown out the manufacturing plants, lol. With 8gb, even with virtual machines with 4gb allocated to, still have plenty free ram left.

9. Hangry

Hangry Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gt 550m
    8 gb is not necessary but its cheap and you never know if one day you want to watch youtube while listening to music having facebook, steam, origin, fraps and xsplit open while playing skyrim with mods. 8gb is totally worth the money.
    About speed, you dont need 2000MHz for gaming, 1600 is already fast enough but i think 1866 is the best.

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    In games like SW:TOR it does make difference, especially if you have stuff open background. In my case 4GB would not be enough.

11. Hangry

Hangry Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gt 550m
    +1 mmos need a lot of ram, several of my friends complain about their ram when they play wow.
    Btw I usually play sc2 with chrome open (pandora, facebook, guru3d) with 6gb.

12. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

The price difference between 2x2gb and 2x4gb is fairly negligible so purchasing 8gb for a new build is the smartest way to go. Now if your happy with your current 4gb no need to upgrade. For me 8gb wasn't even enough. I feel much better with 16gb in my rig.

13. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Yeah, more RAM can't do any harm :).

Side note, i discovered something very interesting, first on mine PC, then tested on few of them. RAM is cheap, so if you buy it, get a good brand, i can't say what brand is good, but I'm sure here are people who know it. Mine tests:

Mine RAM (don't have a clue what brand is, and I'm too lazy to open the case now :D)
    1333Mhz (max freq.) = unstable, 1066Mhz = unstable, 800Mhz = stable.

Kingston on another PC (didn't remembered type)
    1333Mhz (max freq.) = unstable, 1066Mhz = unstable (close to stable say 40% more), 800Mhz = perfect stable.

Another don't know brand name RAM, unstable at all speeds.

Didn't tested with different latency then default. One note, all RAM modules tested here are prime/mem test stable, no errors.

Way to test if it's really stable, is to use poorly optimized software (game). Best game for testing in mine opinion is old Need For Speed Most Wanted. On stable settings, gameplay is perfect without stutters (no mater how tiny is).

So, no matter how cheap is RAM, if you are hard core gamer and you like perfect gameplay (most of users here are), then, always buy better RAM, even if it cost more.

14. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    4GB of DDR --> BF3 took ages to load levels
    8GB of DDR --> First game of the day still quite long but after that load times are alot smaller

15. nomunk

nomunk Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680
    I only have 6 gigs of Ram so im hoping I have enough :(

16. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    6-8GB IMO is better for windows 7, I like having a lot of apps in the background open (xfire, steam, ventrilo, mumble, chrome, hwmonitor, anit virus, ect) with 8GB of ram I never notice a speed difference with them open.

It depends on how you use your computer. For most on windows 7 4GB is fine, but with RAM prices so cheap now it was only $50 for 8GB of 1866Mhz DDR3.

17. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    16GB is the new 8GB

18. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'd say that 6-8 GB is the ideal amount of RAM to have for 64-bit Windows as it means applications and games will run smoother and there'll be less swapping to the pagefile. 4 GB is the minimum IMO.

Windows likes lots of memory which is why I upped mine from 6 to 12 GB a few weeks back. Surprisingly, I've noticed that Windows works even better than before and applications launch even quicker, noticeable over long sessions, likely because it doesn't have to shuffle stuff around anymore. For example, I can play two or three games but when I return to the first or second, it appears to load quicker, possibly because it is cached? Whatever, more memory is always nice. :)

19. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    no, u need atleast 16G

when u start fiddling with virtual space, on 8G limits comes too fast

20. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    Replace "u" with i and sure. I sure don't need more then 8gb tho.