Afterburner reports different FPS than in-game FPS counter.

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by PinetreeRoad, Aug 8, 2014.

1. PinetreeRoad

PinetreeRoad Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6970 Lightning
    I am wondering if there is something i should configure in Afterburner to get a proper reading?

Frametimes seem to be correct, just not framerate. Only in Forge Light games.

Afterburner is reporting much higher framerates than the game is. (up to 500 FPS) I only noticed this when my game was stuttering an Afterburner was reporting a solid 60 FPS. In-game counter was reporting 40 - 45 FPS.

Again, this is only happening in Forge Light games. PlanetSide 2 and EverQuest Landmark. (Landmark has a in-game FPS counter that can not be disabled.) I have an extra Landmark key i can give you Unwinder, if you need to test it.

2. octiceps

octiceps Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    Yeah PlanetSide 2's built-in FPS counter is retarded. It's common for it to report a slightly different number +/- 5 FPS from RTSS. And it tells me I'm GPU-bound when I have <50% GPU usage or CPU-bound when I have <30% CPU usage. :3eyes:

3. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    This is normal, as you are using SLI, the game engine will report GPU bound as it can only see the frame time, not the FPS.

And maybe you will get higher FPS for disabling the SLI too, if your effect/resolution is low enough for CPU bound.

Also, Planetside 2 has bad optimize, so it is normal to see it is just using like 2 Core, until they start putting the PS4 and PC code together, the optimize will also improved.
    ---
    For op, it can be the ways to calculate the FPS is difference, like the game engine calculate FPS based on the current frametime etc.
    To get most accurate FPS, you can just check the frametime of MSI AB.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  4. octiceps

octiceps Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    Ah I see, thanks for the info.

I actually get great scaling at 1080p Ultra if I disable the HUD: http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/27b3/v538ce1jiob8582fg.jpg

It's because PlanetSide 2 has the most stupidly optimized UI I've ever seen. It's the #1 source of poor performance in this game.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014

5. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Yup, the HUD is somehow reducing the FPS very badly, but I guess it is normal, as the TitanFall also having the same issues too.

I still don't think it is the first source of poor performance, as it can only decrease 5-15FPS depend on how many Player icon it should showing, but the game engine itself can drop from 60FPS to 25-30FPS while having large fight. ;)

6. octiceps

octiceps Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    It's because the PS2 UI uses Scaleform GFx + Adobe Flash + ActionScript 3. It's well-known that Scaleform is a huge performance hog. Same reason that CS:GO, TERA, and many other games also suffer from UI-related performance issues. See here: http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffen...caleform_hud_update_the_cause_massive/cfm84zq

I don't know if Titanfall is using Scaleform, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it does.

Having HUD turned off increases my FPS by anywhere from 50% to over 100% depending on the number of UI elements on-screen. I kid you not. It's literally the difference between a playable and unplayable game. I never suffer from CPU bottlenecks and GPU under-utilization now, even in the biggest fights, and as you know, those can get pretty massive on Connery. Even when I do have the inevitable drop to 30 FPS, I'm still GPU-bound with 99% usage on both cards.

20 FPS CPU-bound vs. 46 FPS GPU-bound (+130%)

29 FPS vs. 53 FPS (+83%) in Bio Lab 48+ vs. 48+

The FPS drop isn't caused by the player icons/Doritos/vehical terminal indicators because those are still enabled with the HUD turned off. It's caused by the transparent 2D Flash overlay elements on each corner of your screen, on the score screen, and on the death screen. The kill/Alert/lock/implant notifications that pop up are the same way and always get me killed due to causing extreme lag.

Yeah, this game and this engine is poorly optimized in general. Better multi-threading will come in due time with release on PS4 and DX11, but IMO the low-hanging fruit right now is the UI.

I was happy to see SOE finally solve the long-standing input lag problem and make the game even more responsive than it already was for me (I use an unofficial SLI profile that already got rid of most of the input lag). Now I wish they would do the same for optimizing the UI.

7. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Ya, anyways, UI is on the list that causing low FPS, and too bad I can only get 5-15FPS increase from UI disable.
    As they are doing PMC Initiative (Performance/Memory/Crashes) and pushing with every update, it should be at least reduced Crash, and performance drop(memory).

And I guess we better stop Off-Topic here. :)