Intel roadmap shows Haswell-E, Haswell Refresh and Skylake

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I'm with you on the cpu department. Going for 8xxx radeon tho most likely :D

2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I meant for their entire publicly known roadmap lol. I'll likely pick something up that's not even listed in any of their roadmap in the future unless performance makes a serious jump (it's been just a slight improvement for the past few years).

deltatux

3. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    why u need to maxout with 8xsmaa at 70-80fps in 4k resolution?
    Cannot u just play at medium at hd resolution?
    Why u need to score 30k in 3dmark?
    I am happy with q6600@2.4ghz with 6850hd but this haswell news making someone with i5/7 3xxx itching their back.

4. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Your happy with that then good for you.

Most of us would not be.

[​IMG]

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Why do you need video games? Why can't you just play with mud and sticks? Why use electronics? Why not go back to the natural way of life and return to the wild?

Edit: Ninja'd.

6. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    ^that's what i am saying . If i could lessen my demand, maybe i could be happy with igp playing indie games.
    Or even no games atall.
    To me, guys with ivy/sandy , buying this haswell is just too much of waste.

7. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    I went from a Phenom II X4 to an i7-3770K. That was an amazing upgrade. I don't think the next generation will give me a similar boost. I'll wait for a while.

8. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    If I'm getting a new laptop, it'll likely be the Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition. Yes it's costly, and yes it's a Dell but it's a laptop to have a guarantee of working with Linux without spending hours hunting down drivers or create workarounds.

I'm just waiting for a Haswell version before I ditch my Macbook for a Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition as Haswell would have a vastly improved IGP which would be excellent for the laptop.

If I can find a cheaper laptop that works well with Linux and if it runs AMD's next-gen APUs, I might get that instead...

As stated before, I'm not going to upgrade my desktop anytime soon. I'm looking for an upgrade in the 2016-2017 window instead for my desktop.

deltatux

9. Ji1986

Ji1986 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I went from a Q6600 to a 3930K in dec 2011 and I dont see me neeeding to upgrade for another 3-4 years minimum unless some hardware dies along the way. so 2016/2017 upgrade of CPU for me.

GPU is another story almost bi yearly there.

10. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    X79 (for me) was not what i expected it to be (coming from X58) so i wanted to wait and now haswell isnt it either (for me) so gonna wait once more...

i7 980X proving its worth again and again .. :banana:

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I reckon you could oc that 980 some more, Your only at 4ghz and your on water. It should be quite easy to get even more out of it.

12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Well that depends on the CPU. If i OC mine from 3,8 GHz to 4 GHz the temperature increases by 10C.

Might be his case aswell.

13. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    Yeah i could, but with a 360 and a 120 rad im still getting around 55-60c on heavy cpu based games.
    Its a little bit warm for my taste so still need to run prime95 to see what my temps are at 100%.

How hot is your i7 running at 4.4Ghz ?

My Titan is in the same loop and while playing Crysis 3 it is around 49c at 1150/6400.

PS. thnx for the advice you gave me but since the same day my titan holds at stock bios above clocks so im happy :D.

14. Zunaro

Zunaro Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    Still, my i7 860 @ 4.1GHz is lookin schmexy for the fact I ain't gotta pay another dime for it. Intel isn't releasing their true capabilities if you ask me. Are they giving AMD the chance to catch up? Or are they just slowly giving up on the PC market? Nothing new and interesting from them since Sandy Bridge-E.

I am in the market for a new system so my current rig can upgrade my wife's rig, but hot damn, where's the good stuff? Am I the only one thinking this could be much better?

Maybe Haswell is an OC gem, who knows...:givebeer:

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Neither. They're merely spending the minimum amount of money they can in order to make maximum profits. The resulting slow down of advancement is just a side effect, not something that they care about. The lack of competition being the obvious reason why they can go at such a slow pace in terms of notable advance.

If Intel could still be selling the same old Nehalem chips while making profit and projections of future profits looked good, they'd still do that. They're shifting focus to the mobile sector, which Haswell is clearly a step towards considering it was entirely focused on decreased power consumption rather than performance increase.

Hell, Intel would still be selling Netburst if they thought they could get away with the same profit. They don't give the slightest **** about actual technological improvement, it's all about money.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Talis vita est.

They are making some progression in performance but yeah for the most part the competition has shifted to power savings and the mobile sector. Plus when you add "necessity plateau" or whatever you want to call idea that the majority of consumers no longer need more performance, there really isn't a reason for Intel to continue on that path.

Maybe AMD can catch up in the mean time and put some pressure on them to commit some changes for performance.

I know during the reddit AMA with the Intel architect he mentioned Haswell having some additional overclockability.

17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    When stability testing my cpu runs into the mid 70's but i dont need to stability test as ive run all the tests in the past and my system is rock solid.

When i use the computer for gaming cpu goes to around 65 which is nothing,never really goes any higher and it idles on desktop in mid 30's.

18. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    Nice not bad at all!

Tested my 980X yesterday with prime95 (maximum heat) and after 30min of testing they run into: 52,50,48,53,52,50. Wich in itself is not bad at all.
    So adding my Titan in the mix only raises the temps by 5-8c.

Happy once more! :banana:

19. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Weird how the release of new CPUs have become completely unexciting as far as gaming is concerned on the PC. My i7-920 dates back to December 2008 and it's still plenty for every game I currently play when coupled with GTX 680 SLI, particularly as my ideal experience is at 1920x1200 and v-synced 60 fps (I can't stand screen tearing, I hate non-IPS panels and multi-monitor setups and cannot see 3D properly anyway without getting a headache).

I kind of feel like I should be thinking about upgrading my CPU but that is more to have SATAIII, PCI-E 3.0 and USB 3.0 ports than anything else as I don't believe I'll notice much difference with games at the settings I use.

20. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    My thoughts exactly. If there is a game out there that makes his 930 struggle, I'd like to know about it as well. Heck, my i7 860 Lynnfield @ 4ghz runs any game I've thrown at it easily and that's with an old P55 chipset.

The only roadblock I may encounter in the near future is my board is PCI-Express 2.0 and if I were to install a second GTX 860, the use of two slots cuts their bandwidth to only 8x each. I'll probably upgrade to the next big single-GPU card since I prefer single card solutions.

Plus the economy sucks ball$ big-time right now and I'd rather buy an LMT AR-10 in .308 to compliment my LWRC M6-A2... especially since those a$$hats in the California State Legislature are looking to take away our Constitutional rights in the name of "public safety". Bah!