Best driver for GTX 460

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by thedemon44, Aug 11, 2013.

1. thedemon44

thedemon44 New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 460
    Best/Stable driver for GTX 460

I've been looking but have not seen anything definitive on the best driver for the GTX 460 card. I am hesitant to download the latest 320.49 driver as people seem to be running into problems.

Any recommendations?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  2. thedemon44

thedemon44 New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 460
    Nothing huh? Thanks for the help...

3. Fumz

Fumz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080Ti sc black icx
    In all fairness, since you've (presumably) had the card for so long, wouldn't you be the expert in this area?

4. elpsychodiablo

elpsychodiablo Master Guru

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    i bench with the 460 some drivers and i only saw massive improvements on benchmarks, at game fps there isnt a measurable difference.

I would even say Nvidia is throttle old Cards with new Drivers, because my Powercolor 5770 destroy my MSI 460 Hawk in Battlefield 3 and Skyrim in fps, but on Guildwars 2 and Day-Z the 460 is better. If you watch the Technical Datas of both cards its impossible.

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Umm where does the idea of "best drivers" always come from? The card is 3 years old; by now there are so many drivers out there that surely one has something over another and vice-versa.

You might have a 2-year old driver that gives you the best performance in certain games but then a game that is badly optimized and performs poorly requires a new driver for optimum performance. What do you do in that case?

Just download a few drivers and test them out for yourself. If there's no performance drop with newer drivers, always use the latest. Keep it simple.

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Impatient huh? You're welcome then.

7. lantrich

lantrich Guest

GPU:
    Palit/GTX 460/768
    I would use the 314.22 drivers. The 320.xx drivers have had issues with GTX 460.

8. astron

astron Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx 460 1gb oc
    someone's opinion is the 296 is the best driver for gtx 460

is it real?

9. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    Test it and check for yourself. :)

10. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    My favorite driver for my single GTX460 is the 296.10.

For some newer games though, Tomb Raider 2013, the 314.22 does give a nice performance boost at the cost of the rare "driver stopped responding and recovered" error. Anything newer than 314.22 gives the same or slightly worse performance, more errors, and no benefit at all, and a stupid amount of bloat and junk I don't/can't use.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013

11. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    anything newer and your computer becomes unreliable.

12. diamond-optic

diamond-optic Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW+
    or not...

Been running 327.23 since it was released without a single problem. Ive been too lazy to check out any newer driver so I cant say how anything after 327.23 is, just that I havent found any problems (that affect me at least) with this one.

no bsods or errors, and no 'bloat' for me as i just dont install the other crap with the driver.. havent come across any instability issues.

the only issue ive run into over the past couple months was trying to play some bf bad company 2 vietnam, it would occasionally freeze up.. but it turned out to be my ram timings were too tight as loosening them up resolved it (which im pretty sure I had to do way back when i used to play it all the time with a much older video driver)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  13. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    I can agree on that one. Except, I still call it bloated. I don't install it either, but it is still there in the package. Therefore, since it gives me no improvement that I can find, 314.22 or 296.10 is still better for me.

14. Beqwibber

Beqwibber Member

GPU:
    1660 Ti 6GB
    AntiSnipe and diamond-optic, this is even while using Firefox with hardware acceleration enabled? It can sometimes take hours or even a day or two, but any driver that I've used after 314.22 has still caused my PC to freeze or auto reboot

15. darkritual24

darkritual24 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014