[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Redstone 2 - Creators Update

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Mar 21, 2017.

1. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Damn i want an official ISO RS2 Build :/

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    :D If SFC comes back clean you don't need those spares atm lol

Yea no doubt the ZDP if we get one will sort a few things out

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Make one, files in the OP

4. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Wait, the files are the final builds or insider?

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Final unless something horrendous happens and MS are forced to respin before GA

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Clean install tested this.

Programs that are searched manually via cortana such as cmd powershell etc will not do anything when clicked on from search bar.
    Can't right click on it or anything.

But if you right click on the start and open from there it works.
    Works if you manually open it from explorer or pin it to the start tiles.

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I can't reproduce those on a clean install but it has its own issues. Weird.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    @tsunami231 - Had this installed a few days now, and so far UAC has been on top of everything when it pops up, never once opened behind a window yet

Maybe they did fix it....

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Don't jinx it! I wish they would fix Explorer too. It's broken since 8.1.

10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Just a thought ... Nier is the newest PC release where I'm placing files within the install directory to fix porting issues while the devs are looking into it. If this thing was UWP, we'd be stuck with a fair bit of issues and our only course would be to wait if and when they fix it or refund it. I'm glad it is so far still born because it would've blocked us from the files and encrypted them on top of it. We might never know if we could've fixed say, Forza Horizon 3 ourselves. To this day that stupid game can't remember to launch in full screen and we can't skip the damned intro videos or edit ini's or cfg's.

Back then, Skyrim also needed mods just to get it to run properly. It had something to do with CPU performance. TESVAL or something. Then there's Dark Souls, a big one. FO:NV would've been a mess without script extenders and modded dx9 files. I needed to use a modded xinput file just to get my controller to work in Binary Domain and something similar to get wireless controllers to work in AC2. Files to bypass GFWL in FO3 and GTA 4. PC gaming would be worse off without all this.

God damned MS and their regressive junk.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I don't think I could ever move permanently to Linux, but I have been considering wiping Windows and installing Ubuntu for 1 month, not allow myself to use Windows at all on this machine for the whole month and see if it would be even slightly feasible to still do everything I use my machine for today with Windows

I have a feeling OCing the monitor would be a PITA, having two different refresh rates for LCD and TV, even managing to have the TV enabled in extended mode might be a mission

As much of a PITA Windows is becoming, we still don't have a viable alternative, and the scary thing is, Linux is the closest thing we've got

12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yes and that's sad. The only viable alternative to Windows is Windows. I remember looking for instructions on how to make a shortcut of regular files (not programs) to desktop. Answer? The ****ing terminal. This was in the windows 8 era though.

Even installing betas is not so simple. sudo shmudo magic as usual. For example I may want to try a fork of a program or a beta. Not as easy as extracting a 7z file or installing it elsewhere. Not even close. There I had to use apt-get package or something.

Yet it doesn't make a mess of things and the same store is used to acquire and update programs and you can skip it entirely.

Hopefully Valve's efforts and Vulkan will pave the way. There's so many more titles available in Linux v/s the past.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    sweet atlest that wont trip my OCD
    Code:
    https://cloud.mail.ru/public/FUUx/Q2T6B36Nh

show 404 error which i just gona assume is the page dont exist error

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea it's been down for a short while, happens a lot to WZors accounts there, see if it comes back up or they post a new link and I`ll update it

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I will probably get my iso for the update when my other pc on 1607 get pushed the update I will just make iso, well this providing it dont take 7 months to get the update pushed like it did for 1607 on all my systems.

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    This build has been released to the Slow Ring today

17. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Does AHCI mode result in better performance v/s IDE mode even on a 5400rpm hdd? It made no real difference when I tried it with a 7200rpm drive many years ago but I'm wondering if it had any difference on a laptop. It was my understanding that it mainly supported hot plugging and native command queuing.

It was set to IDE mode fresh out of the box and I didn't change it ever because I didn't want to reinstall everything and it went on for years even after a windows 10 upgrade. I clean installed 1703 but before that I set it to AHCI mode in the bios so that I can install rapid storage drivers instead of seeing IDE stuff in device manager.

Now boot from hibernation is significantly quicker and task manager shows a much more accurate number in disk activity say 20-40MB instead of a few MB's.

It's still a nightmare coming from a SSD system but it is drastically better v/s the older setup. If it does make a difference I might do it on other machines too.

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I changed my mechanical drive from SATA AHCI to IDE when I got my 2nd SSD and enabled RAID0 on ports 1-4, set ports 5-8 to IDE which the DVD drive and 2TB HDD are on, I have noticed no difference in transfer speeds to or from the mechanical drive

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I never saw much difference on HDD, SDD sure, I think only benefit to ACHI is it supports more features then IDE?

20. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah I thought so too. Must be because of the clean install and lack of adobe software lol.