PC turned itself off, burning smell and no cpu fan spinning

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by aphex182, Mar 20, 2017.

1. aphex182

aphex182 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX980
    Ok so I changed my Ram today and after fitting it I started the pc up and left the room for a few seconds, came back to discover the pc was off and a burning smell was predominately coming from the cpu area.

Started pc up again and after a couple of seconds it switches itself off then starts up again with no beeps, cpu fan is not spinning but all other fans are, red cpu led light is on and another green light below the gpu is lighting up on the mobo.

Any ideas guys? One thing I did do and I didn't realise like a complete noob I put the new 8GB memory in with 2 of the old sticks of 4 but what I didn't realise was that one is 1600mhz and the new is 1333mhz :(

Thx for any help

Win 10
    Intel i5 Sandy bridge
    Asus p8p67 pro
    Gtx980

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Burning smell and red LED is never a good thing. Shine a light on your board and see if there are any burns.
    Maybe you accidentally loosened your CPU fan's connector during your upgrade. Double check that.

RAM speed shouldn't be an issue, it will default to the lower speed but it might end up OC'ing to 1600 anyway.

3. aphex182

aphex182 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX980
    Daft question but if I disconnect the cpu fan and connect this new cooler master I've just bought would it spin Or does it need to be seated in order for it to do so? Thx for the reply btw.

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It will spin because it is getting power from the motherboard. You will have to actually press the on button on your case or motherboard for that to happen though. Risky but a few seconds shouldn't cause the cpu to burn. Maybe clear cmos too clear up overclocks to be on the safe side.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Was the RAM inserted correctly? If that was all you changed, double check it's not causing a short between pins

6. aphex182

aphex182 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX980
    I've took the mobo out and it's burnt on the back right where the the slots are where I'd left the original 2 modules in.

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well RIP in peace Asus P8P67 then :p You can try a chip level repair at a local place if a new PC is not in your budget.

8. aphex182

aphex182 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX980
    Yeah I noticed the old ram wasn't seated properly so looks like I killed the board with my own stupidity. The wife's clapping at me as I'm typing this >. <

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Could've been a coincidence really. I've bungled RAM installation dozens of times in my life and it never burnt.

10. aphex182

aphex182 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX980
    New mobo would just be ok wouldnt it? Or could the cpu be goosed as well?

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    More likely to just be the board, I got thermal paste on a CPU and blew the system up in a big flash, board was dead, chip was fine

12. aphex182

aphex182 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX980
    I'll buy a new board and see how it goes, thanks you two really appreciated with the replies ;)

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You mentioned the back where RAM slots are so there's a chance your CPU is still fine. You can take it out of its socket and check the pins if there's no damage. If you can get another Z67 board then go ahead, it should be fine then.

14. aphex182

aphex182 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX980
    Thx again bud ;)

15. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Z77 will work also

16. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    At least she is just laughing at you....my GF would have accused me of doing it on purpose so I could upgrade. Although I have done that in the past so.....

17. aphex182

aphex182 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX980
    Cheers Airbud.

@nh I have thought of doing that ;)

On another note, am I best sending this 16GB of 1333 ram back and ordering 1600 or is there not much difference?