Guru3D Folding@Home Information/Help Thread {Start Here New Users}

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by aircool, Aug 12, 2007.

1. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    That's a valid question. I'm not sure. I'll have to give the build some more time and see how it averages.

2. apintojr

apintojr Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    new to folding. started using my spare rig do fold.

its a E8400 @ stock settings, 1G ram and 256 onboard GPU. usuing cpu client. finished 2 WU and have 1391pts. is this anygood or should i look into throwing a GPU in there and using the GPU client?

3. yoyo69

yoyo69 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 Sli
    If you have a spare GPU then that would make quite a difference to your ppd.

4. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    *removed after the crack wore off*

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009

5. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    There's no doubt that *my* experience with Win 7 and folding is not up to par with Vista and folding. It's been a few weeks now, and there's a distinct difference. Now, I don't want to blame this on Win 7 just yet...it could be that I don't have it tweaked out as well as I did Vista. Using the same programs in the same manner...Vista gave me about 1500-2000 more PPD than my RC Win7 is.

Sad thing is, even if poor performance with folding stays as it is, I will never go back to Vista after using 7.

6. happy

happy Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT
    go RTM it fixed my problems with ppd, what it is, aero uses few more resources than what vista did and so it doesn't fully utilise the card, but goin to RTM fixed quite alot of issues for me

7. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    when it supports ati cross fire out of the box i'll start using it untill then i can't be botherd with all of the messing around i'd have to do just to get it working on windows 7 x64 with 2 ati HD2600XT cards

8. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    uhh, what do i do if i want to stop folding on one PC? do i just shut off the client, or is there anything i need to upload or do?

i'm still folding on my PC at home, its just that folding on my workstation is getting abit annoying since it shuts off every time i use remote desktop.

EDIT:
    do you by chance have windows aero on? this uses the GPU, but if you also had it on in vista than i have no idea. you might want to turn it off just for a little extra performance, though. ;)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  9. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    @ MM10X

Without getting too detailed I'll tell ya', it's really weird. Keep in mind, I'm still on the beta of Win 7.

If I set all visual effects to thier lowest (or off), I consistantly get about 500 less ppd than if they were on. If I do that in conjunction with aero turned off, I lose 700ish ppd. Yes, I lose ppd by turning off graphics options... who'da thunk it?

I will only fall to around 5k- 5.5k PPD avg. if I were to play Civilization 4 nonstop with it running in the background.

Now for the kicker. If I leave my machine on overnight with nothing else happening except folding, I'll hit 6000-6500ish. If I do the same thing, but leave my tv tuner card going... ppd rises to nearly 7k.

I can't say with any certainty, but I do believe that it is simply that the beta version is lacking something. My gut tells me that if I were to go retail my PPD would rise to normal.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  10. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    yeah, i think the beta version is just too unstable and erratic in performance.

but still, strange issue.

11. Roostitup

Roostitup Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 275 SLI 713/1584/1242
    That's a really interesting issue. I switched over from Vista 64 to win 7 64 also, but never noticed a difference. I'm going to monitor my PPD a little better and see if I notice an obvious lack of PPD, too. I know forsure that my CPU PPD is right on par with Vista, but the GPU clients may actually be lower like you are experiencing. My GPU PPD jumps around a lot more than my CPU with both Vista and 7 so it may be hard to monitor and compare. With Vista I got on average about 5,500-6,000 PPD per GPU core. I'll let you know as soon as I figure something out, if it turns out that I may be losing PPD also than it may not be just the RC.

*edit*
    After playing around and monitoring I can safely say that I do not have a decrease in PPD in Win 7 retail, but it seems as though the GPU clients may use more of the CPU in Win 7 than Vista. In Win 7 I noticed more influence on on GPU clients when running 1 or 2 SMP clients which is why I was noticing more fluctuating in my GPU PPD.

I fixed this by setting the priority higher for all my GPU clients while keeping both SMP clients on idle. My GPU cores now stay consistent, but my CPU folding may be very slightly slowed. Figured I could sacrifice a little CPU PPD ;)

I don't get any PPD changes when going from Basic to Aero and vice versa.

Have you tried setting your priority higher on the GPU clients? Maybe something is interfering with the folding?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  12. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Is there any way to control what type of project the Gpu client downloads? I notice a big difference in points depending on the type and would love to figure that out.

13. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Simply put, no as that'd be cheating the points system ;)

14. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Oops! ;)

Please excuse the question to naievity rather than maliciousness. I was hoping to hear someone tell me of some iPhone app that quadruples my output or something... ;)

15. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Meh, not sure if its still applicable but you could try selecting yes for experimental or advanced WU's (forgotten the term) but this used to give the odd SSE2 WU back in the old days with a P4, made a hell of a difference then.

16. Romiz

Romiz Guest

You have no change the groups you are getting. But you have change the type.

Here are the 2 changed that will get bigger folds. These are sometimes slow so be warned.

In config. pick the connection tab and tick last one for over 10 meg files.

and / or

In config add this statement to advanced -advmethods

The Standford site notes none of these commands to give faster more stable projects. But less stable ones reward more points if you do them. So try them for a solid week and see if you PPD goes up or down.

This is technical but it will help you understand how the GPUs differ
    http://nostasolutions.com/2008/11/03/stream-processing-units-implementation-nvidia-vs-amdati/

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2010
  17. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    ok i have a weird problem it's that when i start up F@H gpu my ati hd2600xt reports itself as only having 80 unified shaders but when F@H isn't running it reports 120 unified shaders err ??WTF?? why is it doin that

18. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    Problem solved bought and installed HIS HD5770 1GB going very well did 3 WU's in 9hrs im now upto the 7k and 17WU woohoo :banana:

well i think i figured why the strange unified shaders count on the HD2600XT twood seem that not all shader's are equal ie not all of the 120 shader's are capable of doing the sorts of computing that are required by F@H so some don't get used or get combined with others to form the 80 shaders reported by everest 5.3 whilst running F@H

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  19. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  20. Romiz

Romiz Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2010