Performance Tweaks

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by Von Dach, Aug 28, 2010.

1. marcosamerio

marcosamerio Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTA NVIDIA 1060
    Von Dach can u explain please how to configure UDefrag 3 to get the best perfomance defragmentin, im a little confuse with all the option

Bye

2. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    I have 2 HDD's. One for games and the other for Windows. I setup UD3 for windows in Auto mode and in options I tick Put directories close to MFT, FragProtect, slider to Fast.

With my Gaming HDD I use Consolidate and in options I tick Respect high, MFT, FragProtect.
    Then I went to tools settings select my gaming HDD and in High Performance I select Custom and I select the folders I want for high performance. For example games that are demanding on streaming from HDD.

3. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
  4. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Diable page file ? NOT ! 16bit sound NOT! etc etc sorry man I disagree with most of your suggestions. However a few are ok :)

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Check out the first stickied thread at top of page...http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  6. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i've always had HPET enabled since the early Nforce 4 days and never had any DPC, performance or reliability problems, DPC generelly hovered endlessly between 10 and 80 without any spikes when watching movies, playing games etc.

also without Hpet games don't feel as smooth i get some sort of pauses and in Resident Evil 5 i lost 7fps (regained by enabling HPET), movies also seemed to stutter more (High Definition movies).

but then again this is on my rigs, so your results may vary, no harm disabling Hpet, worth a try when troubleshooting but generally its recommended to leave it ON if you're using Vista / W7 (XP will show "high precision event" under device manager but won't use it). ;)

also some mobos allow you to set HPET to 32bit or 64bit, set it according to your OS.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  7. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Heres a tweak I find makes your PC very smooth.

Luafv.sys

If you have choose to permanently disable UAC and you are in the mood for an advanced tweak:

Based on my understanding and in simple terms, UAC uses a driver called the UAC File Virtualization Filter Driver or luafv.sys to trick legacy apps (apps that aren't correctly written for UAC's least privilege) into thinking they are running with the privileges they think they need but really don't. Of course, if you aren't using UAC then you do not need this driver loaded.

The setting is located in the registry:

This is they key in it's default (enabled)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\luafv]
    "Start"=dword:00000002

This is the key disabled:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\luafv]
    "Start"=dword:00000004

8. marcosamerio

marcosamerio Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTA NVIDIA 1060
    Thx a lot Both

Bye

9. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    What is the best setting for page file on Win XP sp3?
    I now have set on C drive
    MIN= 1536 (1.5*1024)
    MAX:3072 (3*1024).

Should I set
    MIN=MAX=1536
    or
    MIN=MAX=1024
    or
    MIN=512, MAX= 1024 ?

Which is for best performance?
    Is it crucial to have set page file on partition where is XP ?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  10. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    and According to RIFT developer they posted this at their forums

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?82714-Client-Performance-Troubleshooting-Guide

11. heymian

heymian Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    "Always select 2/2.1 Speakers for your headphones if you want full dynamic range."

Does this statement refer to the Windows settings, Sound Card settings (i.e. Xonar Audio Center) or both?

Also, has anyone confirmed the validity of this statement? Do you really get more dynamic range with headphones by using the 2/2.1 Speaker setting? Where is the original source of this information?

Personally, I'm using Windows XP and I don't see an option for 2/2.1 Speakers in my "Advanced Audio Properties". The closest setting I have to that is "Desktop stereo speakers" and I'm hard pressed to hear any difference in sound after choosing it. My Xonar Audio Center does have a 2-channel speaker setting but it disables my onboard headphone amp so that's not an option.

12. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Bumping since I might have another tweak:

Alot of those network tweaks have no effect what so ever on games such as fast paced shooters because they're TCP tweaks. Though the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit), seems to affect UDP as well.

For those (easily seen in source OB engine based games by using net_graph in console), who experience loss or choke on their connection, lowering the MTU might help.

A smaller MTU will cause it to send more packages, but smaller. The downside is that your ping might go up slightly (30 ping might become 35 when lowering it alot). The benefit is that there's less chance the smaller packages will be fragmented and thus lost.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You sure about that last part..afaik a larger MTU helps prevent fragmented packets because more data can be sent in one packet.....router and NIC mtu's need to be same size fwiw..

I think a too large MTU can cuz packet loss also, tho I can't remember why...

14. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    I have no option in BIOS to disable HPET.Can I just disable it in Device Manager?

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You can try.....I did but not sure if it was really disabled. Check with DPS Latency Checker to know for sure.

16. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  17. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    It doesn't seem to make any difference to dpc latency when I try.It must not work.:confused: Still confused.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    There's a boot entry you can add with bcdedit, if you want to look it up cuz I can't remember the exact cmd line.

It's usepmtimer or useplatformclock or similar...

19. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    NV560Ti @900/2394 ATI4890
    Sure, good one, I'll add it in my next update (when I'm in a mood for it).

Yes, don't disable HPET, it was a good tweak before knowing than Win7 mix-up TSC and HPET timers on default configuration. HPET work great, better than TSC if you use it as the only timer for all your system.

To do that open a admin command prompt

Type "bcdedit /set useplatformclock true". Reboot

more info in my thread here: http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-bad-company-2-pc/1273328-performance-tweaks.html

I update that one more often at the moment.

In all the gaming tweaks I know it's now the most important to apply for me.

Also this one from Gregorez improve smoothness a lot: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=344967

I don't know for NVIDIA but AMD seem to have ****ty fan PWM controller.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  20. Poison

Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 12gb
    I found a solution to micro stuttering on BC2 and Crysis after applying some tweaks on xp from this site.
    http://tweaks.com/