PhysX for ATI

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by AdmiralJanovsky, Apr 29, 2012.

1. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    isnt the game the wrapper for it all? so an x86 multithreaded game can just load up instances of physx?

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Just download FluidMark and run it, and you will see that it uses all 8 threads of your CPU.

3. Zogrim

Zogrim Active Member

GPU:
    GTX Titan
    sykozis
    how exactly is PhysX multi-threaded?
    2.8 - mostly throught "compartments" (sub-intances of PhysX scene, where the SDK manages interaction between them internally).

As for x87/SSE2 - we have tested it and it was around 10-15 % difference, not 200-400 % as promised in those articles.
    http://physxinfo.com/news/4267/fluidmark-1-2-2-compiled-with-newest-physx-sdk-2-8-4/

Also SSE reduced amount of supported CPUs, thus - unhappy users
    http://forums.developer.nvidia.com/devforum/discussion/comment/13176

Valagard
    Because SDK 3.0 is not integrated with UE3, since it uses completely different API in comparison to current SDK 2.8
    Switching UE3 to PhysX 3 is same amount of work as switching to other physics engine.

------
    In overall, SDK 2.8 runs on CPU pretty fast - that's why it is widely used in developers, featuring in 340+ released games.

As for "poor" CPU execution of GPU PhysX effects.. read this
    http://physxinfo.com/news/7165/gett...nto-games-interview-with-nvidia-content-team/

NVIDIA has a special group of engineers and technical artists, that are adding extra PhysX effects to games. NVIDIA is investing money in such extra content - and it would be kinda strange to expect them to optimize those effects for concurent products - for their own money.

Consider GPU PhysX effects as exclusive content for NV users.

Developers do not care about any types of GPU physics currently (amount of games - zero - with physics based on "open standarts" such as compute shaders, OpenCL, Bullet, Havok FX, "open physics" with DMM, etc - is a good indicator, for all 6 years hardware PhysX exists)

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Thanks for the info Zogrim, I actually heard that Nvidia were having to go out their way to convince developers to switch to PhysX 3.x since most were more comfortable with 2.8.x and weren’t willing to invest the extra time and money in something new.

I have to laugh at people suggesting that Nvidia spent all this money developing PhysX 3.x, while spending more money bribing developers not to use it, it’s a massive logic fail on the part of many people.

5. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    I guess I won't be buying in Binary Domain, judging by the low performance on AMD cards.

6. Zogrim

Zogrim Active Member

GPU:
    GTX Titan
    Redemption80
    Well, it won't be that hard, as PhysX 3 was developed to fulfill developers requests - better performance on consoles (that is what matters, not GPU physics capabilities), less memory consumption, more flexible arhitecture, new features like vehicle module, etc.. but its adoption will take some time.

And, of course, don't expect that with PhysX 3 you won't require NVIDIA card to play GPU PhysX games at full speed

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  7. AdmiralJanovsky

AdmiralJanovsky Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6770M 2 GB
    there is no option for PhysX or anything like that in CCC and binary domain already runs on 6770M so the weak intel is not being used.
    another thing is that BD is firstly a PS or Xbox game so there are not a lot of options. only graphic card, resolution, shadows, SSAO and thats it. also motion blur, windowed and Vsync so i really dont know what do do now.

can PhysX be manualy shut down or im i just to face the lag when shooting starts?

thanks.

8. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
  9. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    Low performance? the game is so optimized that it even runs well on my laptop maxed out, and my laptop is a HD 4650 Mobility.

The game also runs very well on my 6870, so I dont see were the problems comes from, On the last patch notes they explain that they have trouble with Sandy Bridge CPUS and Nvidia cards mostly and that on the Nvidia side is Driver related and Nvidia is working on it.

10. AdmiralJanovsky

AdmiralJanovsky Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6770M 2 GB
    so now i figure out thats is not a PhysX game..strange but i have 12.3 WHQ or whaterever drivers maybe i will get newer but...**** it i will let it lag too much problems with ATI cards. i should have bought a computer with geforce at least new games will always have PhysX in them so this is really mean for ATI.

thanks for information about this any advice in the future?
    the biggest problem of my comp is the switchable graphics whis does not allow most driver updates.

11. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    Are you sure its not CPU related? it could be your CPU trottling down or anything similar, like I said before, the game runs well even on my laptop with a hd 4650, it has some stuttering but its due to the 2ghz Athlon CPU and all the Harddrive reading.

12. AdmiralJanovsky

AdmiralJanovsky Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6770M 2 GB
    yea i had some weird questions about cpu and the thoughts that it isnt using all the speed that it could. but i dont know i uninstalled it already because i finished it, the game i mean. i don't know what the problem is only that when the spider boss battle when i destroyed it..you cant imagine the lag..i dont know if i got like 5 fps those 5 seconds of destruction.
    amd and Intel dont mix i guess in neither way.

maybe the harddrive is the problem? mine is laptop base so it has only 5400 RPM you think this is the cause of all the problems?

13. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    a hard drive wouldnt slow down the destruction of a boss (that would be the stupidest thing for a dev to do)

well if it's a laptop, could it be that it got hot & throttled down?

14. thug_angel

thug_angel Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470
    The spider boss, when ever I destroyed something of his was a lag fest for me as well. My frame rate pummels down at many other levels as well.

How many people with amd gpus are playing this game smoothly ?

15. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    you're on a core i3?

how many people have a fast OC'd cpu? plus how many similar systems can compare both nv & ati on the same level?

& if someone 'acquired' the game, how would they know that there isnt a problem with that version (happened before to mw3 & other games)

16. AdmiralJanovsky

AdmiralJanovsky Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6770M 2 GB
    no my laptop gets hot but never to such level that it would slow down or shut down i have extra cooling so i doubt this is the problem. my CPU should have handle it but then again intel and amd dont mix i quess next time is geforce nevem again ATI..sad

17. thug_angel

thug_angel Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470
    Yes I have a core i3 same as the specs I posted in my profile. The game is running fine on many people's dual cores with nv gpus so its in no way cpu intensive.

This is clearly a problem with amd drivers/gpus.

18. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    ya, it's quite possible for it to just be unoptimized... on either the driver or the dev's end

if you look at shift1 when it launched, it just would not run normally on ati until the game patch fixed almost everything & then a driver update did a smaller boost

games<->drivers = handshake, it's rarely as simple as blaming only the drivers or only the game

19. bioCor3

bioCor3 Guest

GPU:
    Windforce 670GTX
    ATI and Intel mix fine.

Check your Power Options (right click on desktop>Personalization>Screen Saver>Change Power settings). Set to High Performance. You can also change plan settings, go to advanced power options and set Processor Power Management to 100% for Maximum and Minimum power.

You can also adjust settings in your BIOS by hitting Delete key (sometimes F2 key instead) as your laptop boots. In your BIOS probably under Power Management or perhaps Advanced Settings there maybe some settings for CPU management where you can turn off some throttling heat management settings, though most latops have pretty limited BIOS settings which only leaves you with the options available in Windows power management.

If you do find settings that manage your CPU in BIOS you can look them up on the web to find what they do. Don't forget to save your BIOS settings if you alter them and don't worry about other settings because they are very limited for laptop BIOS.

You may also disable Antivirus and other programs while gaming to free up CPU resources. You could also create a custom power plan in the Power Options that you can switch to before gaming. If you do create a custom power plan you would want to set GPU and CPU Minimum and Maximum to 100% and then run a game to see if your laptop handles the heat and continues to run OK. If there are any fan settings you could set them to run fast to improve cooling if the extra noise doesn't bother you too much.

Don't forget to change the Power Plan back to Balanced or Power Saver if you are going to use the laptop unplugged from power or High Performance will drain your battery in probably less than half an hour.

20. AdmiralJanovsky

AdmiralJanovsky Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6770M 2 GB
    dont worry i already did all that and plans of performance to maximum. im just wondering if i alter heat settings it will go higher thus reducing performance? an also can fans and too much usage od "higher" options cause my laptop to eventually run very slows or somehow damage it?

well i ques i will have to suffer through PhysX related games because all other run just well. but i will keep searching if i fins something somewhere to boost power, beacuse i still dont think the CPU is using all the power it could on some games.