ATI CrossFire Xtension v1.4 - A way to force crossfire w/ profiles

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by king-dubs, Apr 18, 2009.

1. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Source: [E]pic [H]ardware

2. Soulfly76

Soulfly76 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS MATRIX 4850 512Mb CF
    I just love this tool. It does what it promises :)

3. genbrien

genbrien Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980
    -how do you know of a game is using both GPU ????
    -can I start the program as usual or I must start it with the application???

btw, nice program:banana:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  4. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    You can see if the game is using both GPUs with GPU-Z or with the "Enable CrossFire Logo" in CCC.

You must start the game/application through ATI CrossFire Xtension.

5. wekktor

wekktor Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX470 SC @ 780/1620
    Hi

Do this tool work on counter-strike source too?

Im cant try it myself right now, but do you think it should work ?

/wekktor

6. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    It should work with the params:
    Code:
    -game cstrike -steam

7. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    This program makes me wish I still had crossfire.

8. PR-0927

PR-0927 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+
    Just wondering - I had Homeworld 2 installed on a quad-core, Vista 64-bit system, with an HD 4870 X2. It would load a game, then crash the moment you started clicking. Is this a CrossFire-related issue, or is this something else entirely?

- PR-0927

9. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    ^ Couldn't tell you since I never played Homeworld, but I can tell you that I've followed this since it was just a little Beta boy, and it does indeed fix issues just like that. Mercenaries2, Legendary and Dark Sector required nothing else to work on my machine, where none of them would work right after install. (nothing worse than paying between $30 and $60 for a game, getting it home and installing it, only to have to sideline it because it CTDs or BSODs instantly, or simply just refuses to do anything!!)

Only other thing that I can say about the Homeworld2 problem, is faulty install, missing DX or borked driver...failing those, this will fix it.

Psychlone

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  10. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Awesome tool.

5/5

11. notyou

notyou Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6970
    After trying this, GTA IV will not start. It just keeps trying to start & loads up the processes menu with GTA IV.exe's After a short time, there are 15-20 GTA IV exe's I have to close out.

Going to try & reinstall GTA to see if it'll actually work again.

12. wekktor

wekktor Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX470 SC @ 780/1620
    It's a really nice working tool. I tried Colin mcrae dirt demo, and when I first played the game normal without this tool I got at highest 40FPS and was very unsmooth. Then I tried this tool and get 88FPS at highest and lowest 79, yes over 100% and it was really smooth :).

But one game I want you to add if possible is: Counter-strike: source(hl2.exe), now there is only hl.exe

/wekktor

13. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    wow first time ive seen or heard of this app how oild is it and are their any issues with it

14. walp

walp New Member

GPU:
    ASUS 4890 1GB 999\1133
    Oh my! :eek2:

Pandoras box or whaaaaaaat!?!

Man I wanna order a second 4890 and overclock the **** out of them both! :nerd:

15. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    I have a few games with steam.

How do I get it to load them? I'm not sure were to guide the ATI extentsion too.

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Start the program and create a new profile, browse to the EXE file and give the profile name the title of the game (Or whatever).

Then decide if you want to attempt forcing AA/AF (Usually not recommended unless title doesn't support AA/AF normally.)

Then select between D3D and OpenGL, it'll decide which profiles you have available to choose from.

After that browse trough a list of "profiles" or game names (EXE file names) for your profile to "load" when the game starts, it'll create a copy of and rename the EXE to this name so make sure you take the correct profile.

Normally you would take a profile close to the game you want to force Crossfire in as taking a random one can introduce artifacts and other problems as the ATI drivers and monitoring services thinks it's running that game instead and will apply profile specific settings via CCC for that game which might not always work.
    (IE Last Remnant uses UE3 so best to take a UE3 engine title.)

This is best used for titles were Crossfire doesn't scale well, not all titles will show improvements, depends on other limitations such as GTA IV mainly hitting the CPU.

Lastly choose which mode to scale via, AFR is the most common one as of the latest ATI drivers and means frame 1 is done by GPU 1 and frame 2 by GPU 2 and then frame 3 back to GPU 1 and so on whereas the other modes use other means of Crossfire scaling to divide the workload, might improve performance to use another mode or reduce stuttering (micro-stutter) as frames are handled differently by each GPU. :)

Hope this explains a bit of it, refer to the readme and use google for terms in the program you're uncertain of (AFR rendering for example and so on.)

17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    This just goes to show that ATI can release something like this. I mean this has come from the mod community and it seems to work great already. Heck ATI need not even include this in the actual driver package. Maybe as a separate download which has updates released for it to add more profiles. This would be better. But I have not idea what ATI are playing at.

18. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    indeed, it really is one of my reasons to go to the green team when im buying my next cardl wont be sometime until the end of the year or so, but still.
    i really miss the profiles, and nhancer :(

19. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    nhancer is a community mod also. Just took someone in the ATI community to make something like this for X-fire users, the guy should be commended.

20. KillerSneak

KillerSneak Banned

GPU:
    2x HD 3870's CrossFireX
    Or people can be less lazy and find the registry:
    MVPUMode
    3100 - AFR
    3200 - scissor
    3300 - super tiling
    3400 - super FSAA

and there's AFR_Friendly.exe for renaming

ATi did include this and games get added each month (Catalyst AI) so I really don't see why someone should go GREEN (green indeed as they still need 47395047329085543085032 beta drivers a year and maybe if it's a good year they can release 5/6 WHQL drivers)