Tomb Raider - Tressfx flickering in crossfire

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Scout, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Right after you run/jump through falling bridge to fall in some hole and to end up in water (and avoiding being impaled). There in cut scene I had quite problem to distinct those hairs from real ones.

Otherwise they are just nice thing to have in game. Sometimes bit wild, sometimes they split into separate hairs so much I feel she just got electrified.
    But in general it's really good work, if they add some stickiness chance so they are not so "live" they would be very close to real hair physics.

But on single card they are even in worst moment much better than Alice's Hairs controlled by PhysX.

And as someone mentioned that so much shooting is not TR... I remember pretty well time when Lara had in TR 1 dual Magnums, in TR 2 she upgraded to M16 and grenades, and finally in TR 3 she eventually used Rocket Launcher :rpg:

And here, She and that Bow, it's just very enjoyable combat.:thumbup:

2. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    Im stuck at the minute with a end boss maybe end of the game but its been very good gaming much o fun.

I do know what the super hair looks like I ran the game with it on for the first half hour or so but the flickering spoiled the game and made it crash often so just turned it off which cured most of the crashes.

Im running highest settings and I think the benchmark was like 98 fps avg and with the super hair it was 50 odd so it was a big fps hit but still playable fps on my cards but I spoiled by the flickering.

3. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    We should call it Uberhair....like Ubersampling in witcher2...

turn it on and watch your framrates plummet....

lol

4. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    My benchmark with highest settings and Uberhair

Low 6.7

Avg 68.2

Highest 89.3

Just finished the game very good game this well worth the money imo.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013

5. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    was that low noticeable?

6. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    I played the game with normal hair setting which gives much higher fps and noticed no slow down at that setting.

Benchmark with normal hair every other setting maxed the same as the above

low 37

AVG 97.33

High 114.6

so the Uberhair does have a big fps hit on my 6 series cards but I thing the latest 7 series do much better.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Lets call it Uberhair then, My bench showed on maximum details 1080p that lowest around 9 fps.
    But it was not noticeable, probably caught somewhere at beginning of bench.
    But in game on some places where you see a lot of stuff you can see fps drops to around 40.
    <on one HD7970 1050/1500 + i5@4,4GHz>

8. Kaaskop

Kaaskop Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Duke
    Ever since TR came out, i have been keeping a close eye on TressFX.

I have come to my conclusions that the current version doesn't work properly on 2 cards.

Here are my benchmark results (everything was done at 1080p with maxed out other settings, except the AA on FXAA instead of SSAA):

2 cards without: http://kzn-clan.nl/imgup2/rD

2 cards with: http://kzn-clan.nl/imgup2/rV

1 card without: http://kzn-clan.nl/imgup2/rl

and 1 card with: http://kzn-clan.nl/imgup2/rk

As you can see, with 2 cards my performance drops by 33.7% by enabling TressFX, while with one card that is 40.8%.
    The gain of having a second card is way too low.

Furtermore the annoying flickering issue, here i do a test with ultra preset and then turn exclusive fullscreen off (basically making it fullscreen windowed) to have quickly 1 card only enabled (since AMD cannot use Crossfire in windowed mode), see for yourself:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTYE-JOVUZc

I'm running a i7-2600k@4.2GHz with Dual Sapphire HD6870, using Win8 x64 Pro and 13.2 Beta 7 drivers.
    Other details seem to be absolete for this problem, but if you still rather want them then i'll post them afterwards.

I hope this can be solved very quickly, kinda a shame to see an AMD feature not work properly in conjunction with another AMD feature...

9. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    A new patch out on steam for it but the flickering Uberhair is still there for me but the benchmark now gives much higher lowest fps in the 50s.

The trouble with this game is its short I had a ball playing it but its short so when a feature like the Uberhair is unplayable its a great shame because now ive finished the game.

AMD created the feature and its just a great shame it doeasnt work on my AMD cards lol.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    @Kaaskop: I have no idea what do you mean gain from 2nd card is too low.
    Your average FPS in both cases gets more than doubled with second card.

And please do not use term "flickering" we on AMD side have it for completely different beastly issue.
    What you see is Time desync of Direct Compute threads between cards.

@Offler2: This http://cdn.overclock.net/e/e4/e43a8d0f_TR_Errors_beta3.jpeg
    is not flickering either, those are regular GPU polygons stretched caused usually by too high core OC or dieing core which took to big hit from OC (They will usually remain even if you use higher voltage/lower clocks).

And to that TR placed 100% load on my HD7970, which I consider lovely because then it's GPU bound game and better GPU provides more fps :)

And to those unfortunate to not have card powerful enough to run Uberhair:
    Just disable something else you do consider less needed than hairs. Like High Precision or SSAO to Normal.

ON Ultra 1080p w/ Uberhair i have min:45/max:66/avg:56
    After disabling High Precision and moving SSAO on Normal w/ Uberhair i have min:50/max:82/avg:65

People with weaker cards may limit tesselation in CCC to 4x/2x to have it but to prevent higher impact on performance. I did it in Crysis 2 since 80% of stuff which got tesselated provided absolutely no visual improvement. And 4x was enough for stuff where was noticeable difference.

Some people do not like DoF, I must say I accept it only in single player and only few titles like TR, where it's not implemented to hide ugly far textures or missing geometry.
    DoF in TR on Ultra is really nice, it's bit strong in few scenes, but that is minor flaw.

11. Kaaskop

Kaaskop Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Duke
    I meant the gain from using TressFX with 2 cards is too low, the impact should be lower (then it already is) due to the second card. ;)
    That's why i used percentages and not the actual framerates.

12. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    First thing what I asked that guy who reported that picture was, whether is he OCing. I also recognized it as OCing too much. He denied that. So I continued asking questions whether he has everyting patched on his windows. He updated his libraries and it was gone.

At all i was able to reproduce polygon stretching in different games, also on stock, but that is off topic here...

13. Kaaskop

Kaaskop Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Duke
    Well new driver fixed this issue for me, altho the performance hit is still too big for my old 2 cards :(

14. Killhoven

Killhoven Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC
    Any news on this thread? Using CF and TressFX on, is hair effect without issues now and gain of second card power visible from FPS number?

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I have not had that bug on single HD 7970, and it should not be called flicker. That term is used for disappearing and reappearing geometry from scene, usually caused by aggressive optimizations.

This is caused by bad direct compute sync between 2 cards which just moves it from place to place. And to my knowledge it got repair by patch soon after launch.

But in some confined places I managed to hit wall with viewport and all hair disappeared instantly. Can probably happen only to those who are looking for all achievements.
    SO I got special one called: "Baldie!"