GTX 590s blowing up prematurely with small voltage increase

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by king-dubs, Mar 25, 2011.

1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    ^^^^ didnt authorize pics of my 295 to be posted sry
    lol

2. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    something this big and powerful should be built like a tank, if not it dies obviously.
    And theres a lot about the voltage being too high blah blah blah. A lot of video cards over volt 30% and don't have issues. It may be a little excessive for 24/7 but for benchmarking surely ive done that to every card ive owned.
    The only ones i can remember dying from it where 7800gt's after owning it for about a year it died then got another overvolted and clocked it even further then the first after another year died got another one and sold it stock form. Other then that ive always raised voltage a ridiculous amount during testing. I might not keep it there if it didn't achieve any higher clocks but ill definitely attempt it.

3. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA rtx 2060 6gb
    poor video card so many people want one of this and this guys already distroing them stupid kids

4. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    whos stupid? people that won't jump onto a card thats prematurely failing? or the ignorant fanboys that look pass the issue?

5. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Yes because Nvidia's stock is going to be crippled by a couple of review professional review sites and overclockers having their cards blown.

They aren't even in demand, not like the AMD 5800 Series were. There's plenty of 590's in stock, or there were before this happened.

6. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Found another dead one on old driver from tbreak site but pops up so no link
    but this guys mans up about it.sorta what i did with my made for oc'in 460 hawk he got "noobcaked greedy"
    1.21v set
    That’s a good amount of scaling with a 77MHz overclock. Now given that the GTX 590 has the ability for voltage tweaking, I got really brave and decided to over-voltage the card as well as the speeds and see how far I can go. Using MSI Afterburner I increased the voltage by 75mV and bumping up the Core speeds to 753Mhz which resulted in an incredible score of 9816 on 3DMark 11 (p). Hoping to hit the 10k mark, I decided to bump the voltage to 125mV with Core speeds of 804Mhz. As 3DMark 11 was coming to a close, the whole system shutdown and I could see smoke coming out of the power cable connectors.
    As the smell of burnt plastic and metal faded, I contacted Nvidia to try and see what happened. The GTX 590 should have been able to either handle the voltage increase, or simply failed to a BSOD or crashed the system. I certainly didn’t expect it to die on me. Turns out the drivers provided by Zotac were 267.52 and the latest drivers from Nvidia, 267.71, have some fail-safe measures to protect the GTX 590 against over-voltage. So remember folks, a simple driver update can be the deciding factor between the life and death of a graphics card when you’re pushing it to the limits. Always update your drivers.

most other just use the swedsite

but while searching i did find find this reviewer BOSCO say he had 4 6990 die the same way...wait what? that did not make it in the news???

here he anwsers in thread about it in 590 reviewed thread page 4 -6
    site is a no go at guru thuo plz just go to ^occ and see for your self

bosco
    Ya the 6990's are not fairing much better I know of 4 cards that are dead
    so far with 2 more having issues. One of ours died as well..... shakes head

Others have know this to he says later in thread but maybe were to scared to mention in reviews cus amd would not send them anymore cards

conclustion of that review

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/AMD_HD_6990_Antilles/18.html

After our initial testing of the HD 6990 we moved the graphics card over to a backup system that we were using to test new games for our benchmarking suite. We were able to complete testing with the HD 6990 in some of our new benchmarks including; H.A.W.X 2, Lost Planet 2 and DiRT 2, however, when we were testing the performance of Dragon Age II the HD 6990 died on us. At the time of it's demise the card was set at the stock 830MHz setting and the BIOS switch was in the default position. This fact that it died could have been that we tested the graphics card at both the 375W and 450W settings, but since the review we have left the settings at default level.
    Presently this leaves Neoseeker without a HD 6990 for future testing. AMD will not warranty the card so we are left with no choice but to reach out to their partners to see if we can get a sample. So, from this point on it will only be seen in the benchmarks that were used at the time of the review until we can get a replacement.

oh jeez so the shoes on the other foot now???

before you go nuts i hate both cards
    i was just looking for dead 590 and in the closet was the same issues with the 6990 amd was maybe smarter have them die after a month??

boy i am baffled as some of you may be now..wth?
    what a bombshell that is for everyone
    now repeat after me
    stop with this x2 core crap give us 28nm!!!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    wow found some skeletons in the closet aye
    image removed to protect fragile ego`s
    [​IMG]

8. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    yup i geuss so.
    Thx for edit tommy
    i try to call them as i see them.
    yup i guess the 6990 does have a kill switch.

Still going to look for other dead 590 cards that are not the same.

man i thuoght twimtbp was bad.... poor reviews having to keep the lid on amd cards having issues.

9. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
  10. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    noooooo!!!!!:bang:

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    didnt the asus mars 295 have mega problems too? even more than the amd 6990 and nvidia 590 at launch?

12. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]

yea.. although something like this would own:nerd:

13. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    @ tommy idk but jeez that card was on its last legs out of the womb it took so long to come out crasy prices too.

hunter dont wish for it see if the can get a really strong single cored card oh that is single i hope.
    amd is to busy beating up reviewers in back rooms to work on 28nm lol j/k

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Its way better to buy 2 strong single cored cards any way. I own both regular sli cards and 2 x2 cards (295) single cards overclock farther, run cooler. I can run my 580`s at 900/4400 24/7 if I up the volts but Im a scardy cat lol. thats 300mhz over a stock 590

15. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    you should have got an xbox lol
    no i agree with sometimes crappy driver and such for x2 cards,at least you could always have a back up not like you can if your 700 card blows up.

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    me xbox? why? they burn out while being reviewed dont they?
    yeah 1 580 dies you cry, rma but still have 1 580 to get ya through the hard times. I got 295 as a back up too

17. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    lol xbox joke sry

Man still cant believe what i'm finding but thats for another time and place.

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    its cool didnt know if that joke was directed at me

19. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    no its what 1 card costing over 700 should come with in the box as back up

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    700 bucks for that card isnt bad imo. if amd wasnt on the ball with their gpu division, I think the card would be much higher. 799-849. as it is the 460 two win is 429 lol