Guide to RAM

Discussion in 'Links' started by WildStyle, Jul 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I'd just RMA it because you seem to have tried everything I'd have suggested and it's still not working right...
    Could also be an incompatibility with your board, perhaps.

2. I have bought the memory right ------> but it does not work at 200mhz speed because of incompatabilitys with nforce 2! DOHH!

Overclockers wont have it back as they say its "not faulty". Is there ANY way i can get this memory to run at 200mhz. I have tried changing from 7,3,3,2.5 to 8,3,3,2.5 and 8,4,4,3.0 and nothing.

I have options for aggressive, turbo and can change to 133,166,200 for mem speed.

Also i heard that 11 RAS is good for nforce2. Why?

I also have a stick of 133 ram (my current ram is going at 166)
    I was wondering if i dont get to 200mhz could i pop that 133 stick in and work ok? Its not much of a difference is it? mmm.....

Thanks all! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2004
  3. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    Try increasing the vdimm.... upwards of 2.9v should be plenty safe. That's actually pretty popular RAM, I doubt there is a strict incompatability.

4. vdimm?

My motherboard manual says that i dont have to change any (read cant) voltages in anyway shape or form. Its says i dont have to, its automatic for everything!

Any suggestions? I can change everything else though i guess...

5. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    In that case I don't see what you could do... I guess you could try switching the order of the two dimms, but that's not too likely to help of course... Dual-channel does virtually nothing for the XP, by the way, not worth losing sleep over.

6. MrBen

MrBen Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce4 ti 4200 128MB
    And Ultra memory, which I have.

www.ultraproducts.com

7. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Hadn't heard of them at the time of writing. ;)

8. MrBen

MrBen Master Guru

GPU:
    :D just giving an update

;)

9. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Ultra used to be a tigerdirect only brand, I believe... though whether they are owned by tigerdirect or just used to be an exclusive supplier I'm not sure.

10. MrBen

MrBen Master Guru

GPU:
    http://www.ultraproducts.com/distributors.php

Whether it is or not, I guess it doesn't really matter. I haven't had a single problem with it and it overclocks nicely, with good performance. Prime95 ran for several hours detected no errors.

11. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Keep in mind that very few companies make their own ram chips. Samsung, micron, hynix, infineon are a few of the places with fabs. The rest buy from the big guys. So it is not suprising if even "joe-bob's ram" works fine and overclocks decently, as its just going to have Samsung/Micron/etc. brand chips on them anyway.

Not trying to knock Ultra RAM, may be the best stuff ever for all I know. I'd say the time it would especially pay to be choosy with brands is when buying the faster OC ram, like PC4000. There really isn't a real spec for it, so the how you rate your RAM is kind of up to you once you get past PC3200. Smaller guys may have looser standards then the big guys.

As for Ultra, I think the X-connect power supply was their breakout product.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/partners/partner.asp?mfrid=1583

Try to find an Ultra product that tigerdirect does not carry (they even have Ultra PC100), and a retailer that stocks even 1/4 of what tigerdirect does. I haven't done the gruntwork on this one, I'll admit. However, I've been trolling tigerdirect.com fairly often the last year or so as they take my company's POs, and I'm always seen a ton of "ultra products". I'd never seen so much as a single "ultra" review until a month ago or so when the ultra x-connect power supply hit the streets.

That does not mean there is anything wrong with them, of course...

12. MrBen

MrBen Master Guru

GPU:
    All true things. I cam across this brand by chance and figured I'd try it out. I've been monitoring tigerdirect for the past several years, even back when it was only a yahoo.com store.

All I'm saying is I paid quite a bit less for my memory than the other name brands and I haven't been let down in the least.

13. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
  14. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Also, regarding PC3500/3700/4000 etc.....

Quote from a post of mine somewhere else: -

"They say officially supported upto PC3200 (like all board manufacturers) because that's the highest supported standard by JEDEC (RAM speeds committee people.) Of course higher speeds will work, but they are unofficial, and thus not supported by the mobo companies.
    In fact higher speed RAM is very useful for overclocking."

15. portista

portista Guest

hullo Wildstyle forgyve me but could u tell how can i chek those e.g.2,5.3.3.something that i read somhere on my mem.;#

16. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    You can use CPU-Z to find out what timings etc you are running. ( http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php )

Also, you could take a trip to the BIOS and look there.

17. gunrun

gunrun Guest

I just got a new pc. when i run cpuid it says my ram is running at 200mhz isnt it supposted to be 400mhz? i have geil 1gig 512*2 pc 3200???

cpuz says..

200.3mhz
    fsb:Dram cpu 11.0

does this sound right?

18. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yeah. that program is just showing your RAM frequency in non-DDR terms, it's fine.
    Timings are just... normal timings, and again they're fine.
    :)

19. seltun

seltun Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 750M 2GB
    this is really very extremelly usefull information

thx wildstyle cause ...... u started it

20. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Thanks. :)
    I know it's a long read but it's there to help people learn - so the thread can have as many replies as it needs as far as I'm concerned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.